Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Diver944
I could only control the wheelspin when in 5th

That's the dog's bollocks!
Old 12-22-2006, 03:17 PM
Diver944
User

Originally Posted by RolexNJ
You guys are so lucky to even have such GP tracks near you!

I live about 8 miles from Silverstone circuit and 100 miles from Brands Hatch. I've driven Silverstone many times but only once at Brands and it was in some demo parade laps so not very fast or exciting. Silverstone GP is so wide and so fast that you really need a powerful car to get the best out of it (hopefully we've addressed that now)

I'm also a bit spoilt in that Donington Park GP circuit is 40 miles north of me. It hasn't been used for GP recently but this is where the very famous 1993 Ayrton Senna opening lap in the rain took place:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BzSSfJ7Gpw

Donny has to be my favourite circuit that I've driven so far (not including the Nordschliefe of course, but that's too scarey to go very fast at )

I was hoping to get some moody pictures for you of my car in the mist today, but it was too dark by the time I got home - maybe tomorrow.
Old 12-22-2006, 03:19 PM
Diver944
User

Originally Posted by Ken D

That's the dog's bollocks!
I'd like to agree but it really was very slippy indeed. I think any 951 will be struggling for traction today
Old 12-22-2006, 03:21 PM
Ken D
Addict
Rennlist Member

Eventually you should upgrade to 17s or 18s for the added traction. I don't see 245/16s lasting very long with that 3,2 under the bonnet.
Old 12-22-2006, 05:59 PM
333pg333
Addict
Rennlist Member

I know, but I wanted to see them all in a nice little list so I can refer to them easily. Thanks Paul. It's just that I'm going to be doing something similar at a later date and it's hard to keep tabs on all the info out there.
By the way you will need the KW's in my mind with all that power. It's amazing how much better traction you get over the Mo30's and it sounds like you could use some!!!!! Also I don't think the stock 40% lsd will be sufficient so I'd explore some options there.

Keep up Patrick, I've posted all these things here or on our UK forum already

-What block did you start with? - 2.7
-Is it a standard crank, if not, what? - Standard S2
-What exhaust mods? - standard but with a cat delete pipe 3" in the future
-Clutch mods? - Cup clutch
-Tranny/lsd mods? - Standard with LSD
-Any head/cam work? - minor flow improvement, standard cam
-Stock inlet/throttle body? - stock
-Brakes? - Standard M030 Big reds next year

-Suspension? - newly rebuilt M030 KW next year
-Intercooler? - 9xx Stage 2
Old 12-22-2006, 06:29 PM
UK952
User

Paul have you done any days with the GP loop? I guess it doesnt add much really the circuit is probably better without. I think I've only been there twice, both times on the national and iirc you were there, excellent fun,

Tony
Old 12-22-2006, 06:38 PM
Diver944
User

Yes I've done a couple of days at Donington with the GP loop. Most people say it spoils the circuit and is a brake killer but to be honest I prefer it. It adds two hairpins that you are braking into from top of 3rd gear in our cars and accelerate out of at the bottom of 2nd gear. With track tyres you can just floor it before the apex and hold on as a lot of other cars seem to start going backwards

(mind you, that was with 280 bhp)
Old 12-22-2006, 07:17 PM
indi9xx
User

Great to see your enjoying your transformed car Paul!

Credit also needs to go to Simon Peckham who is our engine builder and master of turbo chargers, the rest of the team at JMG/9XX, Klaus Hoffman for his chips, and about 4 individuals in the world of F1, WRC and IndiCar engine building... Without their help, the engine would not be what it has become.

We have another 3.2 944 turbo which is being born in the new year and 2007 will see some further developments which I cant mention right now.... But its going to be a very interesting year for the 944 turbo... not to mention what we are doing also for the Boxster and 996

All the best, I look forward to some more reports from you Paul!

Jon Mitchell
JMG/9XX Independent Porsche
www.9xx.co.uk
Old 12-22-2006, 07:41 PM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by indi9xx
Great to see your enjoying your transformed car Paul!

Credit also needs to go to Simon Peckham who is our engine builder and master of turbo chargers, the rest of the team at JMG/9XX, Klaus Hoffman for his chips, and about 4 individuals in the world of F1, WRC and IndiCar engine building... Without their help, the engine would not be what it has become.

We have another 3.2 944 turbo which is being born in the new year and 2007 will see some further developments which I cant mention right now.... But its going to be a very interesting year for the 944 turbo... not to mention what we are doing also for the Boxster and 996

All the best, I look forward to some more reports from you Paul!

Jon Mitchell
JMG/9XX Independent Porsche
www.9xx.co.uk

If I ever hit the lotto i'll be sending you a car to build a motor for man. I can't believe we are seeing 3.2's out there now and soo many 3.0's

I have to agree with rolex here this is a very cool time indeed. Even back 5 years ago 3.0ltr strokers were few few and far between. Now it seems like very few people stick to the 2.5 when building the motor from the bare bones up. Why not upgrade I guess right? haha

I really would like to have a completely done motor with a turbo and ems to match. I think we will all be watching these new cars you are building closely. Best of luck to you in the future.

To the thread starter. You're car is gorgeous and one of a kind. What a total sleeper. Please post more pics and vids when you get them. And for pete's sake post the #'s when you get them. This is gonna be interesting.

Man the 951 sure seems to be moving along now. Maybe now we can catch those damn japs.
Old 12-22-2006, 10:32 PM
420WHP944
User

Congrats paul Your car is the dogs and may she serve you well, simply stunning work.

John Daly.
Old 12-22-2006, 11:37 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Cool

I live about 8 miles from Silverstone circuit and 100 miles from Brands Hatch. I've driven Silverstone many times but only once at Brands and it was in some demo parade laps so not very fast or exciting. Silverstone GP is so wide and so fast that you really need a powerful car to get the best out of it (hopefully we've addressed that now)

I was hoping to get some moody pictures for you of my car in the mist today, but it was too dark by the time I got home - maybe tomorrow.
I always wanted to see Silverstone. It must be incredible. The only track in Europe Ive ever driven, and only half the course was at Paul Ricard in France. I raced Formula Renaults there and they were a blast. I can't imagine what Silverstone must be like too. I'll visit you guys and see if I can get a ride on the track. And yes, get some nice pics mate, but when it's not foggy too. Is it ever clear and sunny there? When I was in London, it was overcast for 1 week, and unfortunately I didnt get a chance to make it to Brands Hatch due to business.

Cheers

Old 12-23-2006, 04:19 PM
RennBod
User

Looking on the PCGB forum 944 section today, it seems the owner of this 3.2 is having serious problems today with traction even in 5th gear above 3000 rpm, at which point he has 18 psi of boost!

We need more running reports from him in here!

I want a 3.2 944 turbo!
Old 12-23-2006, 05:02 PM
Diver944
User

Originally Posted by RolexNJ
I always wanted to see Silverstone. And yes, get some nice pics mate, but when it's not foggy too.
Ok Rob you asked for it It's still pretty manky here so heres a few pics of LIL (my car) and a few 944 on track at Silverstone. You'll have to excuse the white 968 CS but it belongs to Callum Lockie the GT and Le Mans racer who runs this particular track day

Name:  944TD_0703205202.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  70.5 KB
Name:  944TD_0703204207.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  64.2 KB
Name:  944TD_0703204206.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  54.6 KB
Name:  944TD_0703201208.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  50.1 KB

With credit to Rick Cannell (Eastendr on Rennlist) who took all the pics. In fact most of us over here don't take our cameras anywhere anymore because Rick does such a superb job for all of us
Old 12-23-2006, 05:05 PM
333pg333
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RennBod
Looking on the PCGB forum 944 section today, it seems the owner of this 3.2 is having serious problems today with traction even in 5th gear above 3000 rpm, at which point he has 18 psi of boost!

We need more running reports from him in here!

I want a 3.2 944 turbo!
Can you say FASZINATION?!?!?!?
Old 12-23-2006, 05:24 PM
Duke
Super User

I love the use of pyramid rings for sealing the cylinders. Never seen it on a 944 engine before.
108 mm bore?

Are those Darton MID-sleeves or something else?

A truly stunning bottom end!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: UK 3.2 Turbo hits the road

Contact Us About Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: