Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

UK 3.2 Turbo hits the road

Old 01-12-2007, 10:39 AM
RennBod
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did a diesel really win LeMans??

Just wait until I tell my wife when she next complains that I drive a Porsche and she takes the kids to school in a diesel people carrier! (she has a boxster for weekends, so she can't complain!)

Has anyone done a back to back dyno test of something like a LindseyRacing intake manifold? or are there other ones out there?
Old 01-12-2007, 10:43 AM
Diver944
Pro

Originally Posted by RennBod
Did I miss something or is this car really running a 2.5 modified chip, 2.5 exhaust, 2.5 intake and just about everything still 2.5?
Yep you're spot on Rennbod, this is currently one heavily strangled engine and I'm absolutely loving it

I was without a 951 for 18 months and when it left me it had 280bhp which was plenty fast enough at the time. I did not want to get it back and straightaway become a 600bhp Special Tool rival because I know that I would not be capable of using it. What we have now is a work in progress and it is already delivering much more than I hoped with just a 'simple' engine swap. It is very driveable, very docile, very smooth and it is completely unbothered by whatever gear you are in and whatever the Tacho reads - if you slam your right foot down, it flippin goes like stink

I'm looking foward to its development when it will get even stinkier
Old 01-12-2007, 11:12 AM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did a diesel really win LeMans??

Has anyone done a back to back dyno test of something like a LindseyRacing intake manifold? or are there other ones out there?
Yes It Did Mate Click Here ---> 2006 Lemans Winners

And back to back what? Stock Manifold versus Lindsey, JME, SFR or what?

Sorry Paul....

Old 01-12-2007, 11:40 AM
RennBod
Instructor

Back to back testing of the LindseyRacing manifold versus the standard one... or the standard one versus anything else.
Old 01-12-2007, 11:59 AM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Back to back testing of the LindseyRacing manifold versus the standard one... or the standard one versus anything else.
Why don't you so this, so we don't off topic for Paul. One, try doing a search here, and then, why don't you start a new thread asking that question so everyone can see it too. I just don't want to see Paul's nice thread go OT, ok?

Cheers.

Old 01-12-2007, 12:11 PM
Diver944
Pro

The one minor downer for me yesterday was being unable to hold a level 15psi boost level to the redline. I had really hoped that the Greddy EBC would enable me to do this but unfortunately thats not the case:

Name:  LILboost.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  81.7 KB

Jon has already explained its because of the massive restriction at the AFM and the poor turbocharger simply can't suck enough through there to feed that air hungry 3.2 once the revs start to get high. Luckily we all know the ultimate solution
Old 01-12-2007, 12:15 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Diver944
Jon has already explained it's because of the massive restriction at the AFM and the poor turbocharger simply can't suck enough through there to feed that air hungry 3.2 once the revs start to get high. Luckily we all know the ultimate solution
Great job Paul! And yes we do know the ultimate solution don't we!

Old 01-12-2007, 01:34 PM
nick_968
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Whats that........Motec?
Old 01-12-2007, 02:12 PM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

BTW I just modelled this engine and got almost the exact same numbers... Time to play around with some of the "unsuitable" parts
Old 01-12-2007, 03:36 PM
tommo951
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Duke
Although I disagree on many of your statements I won't turn this into a intake manifold design thread.

But you should know better than to give credit for a race car's lap time to the engine, diesel or not.

Please answer me this, do you disagree that it's the average horsepower in the used rpm-range that determines how fast the car will accelerate?

Hey Duke.

PM Sent. But in short I answered your question in relation to torque. You mentioned diesels as if they provided torque but no performance. If you would like a comparison closer to hoime I know somebody who builds 3.0litre BMW diesels for use in race applications they are putting out About 340 bhp but about 500lb/ft torque and are used in certain competition applications in preference to petrol V8's. Why because of the usable torque curve.

HP is important but torque is the single most important factor unless you live your life over 5000rpm. Then HP becomes critical in its own right
Old 01-12-2007, 03:38 PM
tommo951
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Duke
BTW I just modelled this engine and got almost the exact same numbers... Time to play around with some of the "unsuitable" parts
What modelling software do you use?

Old 01-12-2007, 03:57 PM
inactiveuser92616
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tommo951
What modelling software do you use?

Yes, please do tell. I will be learning Wave this semester, supposed to be pretty fun for us nerds.
Old 01-12-2007, 05:11 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by tommo951
HP is important but torque is the single most important factor unless you live your life over 5000rpm. Then HP becomes critical in its own right
In that general statement Tommo, I would have to agree with you having raced on very short sprint tracks, to speedways that are 4 miles in length.

Old 01-12-2007, 05:55 PM
indi9xx
Advanced

I think Paul plans on removing the restrictions from his car one by one in a scientific and quantified way so he can see each improvement with a car that will grow with him.

I would probably recommend Paul removes the restrictions in the following sequence.

1. Ditching the AFM in favour of a MAF.
2. Replacing the exhaust after the turbo with a larger bore free flow system
3. Replacing the intake manifold with a more suitable item
4. Replacing the exhaust between the head and the turbo with a better manifold and crossover

In some ways I would love to get a chance to datalog some pressures and temps on Paul's car from various locations, such as throughout the intake and exhaust.

I think a lot of the problem with pauls car dropping the boost is down to excessive back pressure post turbo causing a poor pressure ratio over the exhaust, and an excessive pressure ratio across the cold side of the turbo... These two problems will be causing the turbo to have to work much harder to provide the same boost level.... I would not mind betting, that these restrictions are also causing quite high post turbo intake temps, which also will be robbing power and probably half the cause of the det when running higher boost on the dyno. (the other half being it not having anywhere near the right mapping yet)

Sort out the restrictions and I think this car will have a much flatter torque curve right away without loosing torque, just gaining more consistant torque and more BHP.

I have only just realised that Paul's car made its peak power at only 12.5 psi of boost.... Which for the current setup isnt at all bad and a good indicator for what the future may hold.

With intake manifolds, I do believe that the intake manifold on Paul's car is going to be a big restriction to power... but at the moment I think its not the biggest restriction by any means.
Old 01-12-2007, 08:26 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

indi9xx: Sounds like a great stategy should Paul elect to go that direction. So is Paul leaning more toward using a MAF or going to a full EMS? Anyway, I just sent you a PM too.

Cheers.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: UK 3.2 Turbo hits the road