Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

The Saga Continues....this time more valves, more displacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 07:18 PM
Markus951
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Saga Continues....this time more valves, more displacement

Some of you may know me and my car since I joined rennlist and started to post here..

Have to say its been a great source for me ever since..

This is how it all started
https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum/216857-another-project-started-gt30r-fuel-managenent-etc.html

This is how it turned out:

Some of you might also know that I broke an engine last year, 4000km after full rebuild..

Ever since I broke the engine I have thought, what to do... to be honest I have been really despret with lag of luck I had last year all those sleepless night in the garage etc..

But taken this this all into concideration I have found a strength in me and I decided to this as a last thing on my 951.. if thats done. I am done with cars for some time untill I can afford something really fast out of the box. Of cours I will keep my beloved 951.

In last pasth month I have got a lot of inspiration from this boar here and specially from those cars;
http://autospeed.drive.com.au/cms/A_1327/article.html
http://www.rescueforce.com.au/images/expose-car.avi
http://www.rescueforce.com.au/images/race-pi.wmv
http://65.61.16.109/forum/topic.asp?...91&whichpage=4
http://www.944sverige.com/forum/file...otor_1_630.jpg
http://www.944sverige.com/forum/file...pe_xxx_212.jpg
http://www.944sverige.com/forum/file...or_xxx_188.jpg

Its not hard t quess what I am up to now this year..well...... I am going with full 3.0 liter 16 valve, variocam, most likely right side mounted
high horspower turboconversion on my 91 yearmodel 951..

As I broke the engine last year I have many many parts what I can use, what makes it a bit easier for me... but then again.. 3.0 liter 16 valve project can never be easy...

Although I do not own an 968 I have decided to use some parts from it to make my latest dreams happen

Therefore I sourched an engine from 93 yearmodel 968 unfourtunately there is a littl problem... the engine came with the car .

I bought whole damaged Porsche 968 with tiptronic transmission and 52 000 km on the clock.. I am actually getting the car in the end of January..so far enjoy the pics...

Rest of the 968 pics here: http://eku.3lite.ee/album13

I will have a look maybe I will adapt more parts then just engine to my 951, like interior, dashboard..torsion bars, front chassi parts etc.....

I have not choosed what kind of turbo I wil use.. I am not after some enormous horsepower but nice broad powerband, low end torque... not more then 500 crank hp.

So anyway.. this how I see the speclist, comments are wellcome

Garrett GT35R or ITS GT61..
Tial 40mm, wented to atmosphere.
Bosch 044
Adjustable FPR
Coil in plug ignition with Porsche Cayenn Coils..(they fit perfectly
Custom 4 2 1 exhaust manifold
Custom Dual Plenum intake manifold with velocity stacks (full radius trumpets)
600*300*100 custom intercooler
2.5" intercooler piping..
GT2 pressure plate cerametallic sprung hub disk
Custom H-profile con.rods.
Cometic head gasket (3mm -if i cannot find right pistons)
ARP head studs
Custom copper cooling radiator (thicker then stock)
Stock cams for start (upgrade to Webcam 274 in the future)
Stock pistons (if I cannot find the ones what works on alusil bore)
Tatech pro fuel management with Variocam control
800cc injectors..
3.5" downpie
3." catback exhaust
If I will get confiramtion that Wiseco pistons are working on 951 then most likely I will go that route http://www.lindseyracing.com/Merchan...ry_Code=WISECO
Wiseco Can do 104 mm pistons from 4032 forging so thats not an issue...

931 Pop up light mechanism (just to get the light motor off the way of turbo, on right side)
Relocated windscreen washertank - same reason
Relocated powersteering oil tank (same reason)
Relocated battery - if its needed to get that extra space under the hood::
AEM Wideband kit
EGT sensor and gauge
Backpressure sensor for turbo..

Otside i do not do any changes beside better tyres for track and street use and maybe a vent holes to the bonnet (on relocated turbo to the right side, things will get hot in the surroundings of cilinder head so this is a essencial thing to get that extra heat away...

I will keep you guys posted and hopefully it comes a sourche for 3.0 projects amoung the other good threads here..

I do not know is there any 3.0 liter variocam, turbocharged engines around with relocated turbo etc??

Regards
markus
Old 12-20-2006, 09:30 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Markus:

First let me say that I commend you with your old car. That was a lot of work and that car was stunning too! And the fact that you are now spending more money, time, and effort to finish what you started before is incredible. I can relate a little bit to what you went thru, just in a different form of pain and dissapointment.

So you went out and bought a 968 car just for that damn engine? Well, at least you will have some spare parts if you need them, or, can sell them. You have a nice build-out sheet listed on here too. I know that thru the course of the project it will change to some degree. When are you actually going to start this project, and how long do you think it is going to take? It sounds like you have limited resources where you live too? Are you going to do all the work yourself, or, do you have a friend or builder who you're going to work with?

I wish you the best of luck with this project car. As you know, Rennlist can be a great resource for when you build your car. They are quite a few people who are building 3.0Ls now, so you can use their help if you need them. Let all of us know how the project progresses as you did with the last one. I hope this one is even better than your last one too!

Cheers,

Old 12-20-2006, 09:43 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Markus, I always look forward to your postings, always cutting edge, no limits stuff with plenty of good pics and detail.

Cheers....!

TS (raises virtual transatlantic toast)
Old 12-20-2006, 09:44 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

That 968 looks highly fixable.
Old 12-20-2006, 11:35 PM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche-O-Phile
That 968 looks highly fixable.
lol

I say steal that black interior for your orange car, that would be awesome.
Old 12-20-2006, 11:40 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Markus, your car has been one of my favorites since you first posted. I can't wait to see what you are going to do with the beast!
Old 12-21-2006, 12:53 AM
SoloRacer
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Markus: That has to be one of the cleanest looking wrecks I've ever seen. Those seats look perfect! Wish I had them for my 951. Good luck on the project. Just so you know, I own the the yellow 968 turbo that you show in the engine bay picture. I have been told by Jon Milledge that the engine is sleeved and that it has Ferrara valves. I'm afraid I don't have a bunch more details on the internals of the engine but I do know that the turbo is mounted on the exhaust side of the engine and that a oil resevoir and weaver pump are used to get the oil back up to the oilpan. Keep us posted on your build. Seems like we have a plethora of big displacement turbo cars being built. I can't wait for the results.
Old 12-21-2006, 03:49 AM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow thats all I can say. Goodluck to you and you're project. I love the 968 interior and always wanted it for my 951. Infact I plan on adapting many 968 parts to the '51 just like you. Please document everything you do cause it will be a sure help to me and many others im sure.

You're dedication to you're project is truley comendable and I wish you nothing but, the best with it. Happy holidays and keep up the great work.

rennlist needs people like yourself.
Old 12-21-2006, 03:58 AM
Markus951
Racer

Thanks for comments guy's..

SoloRacer: do you have any more shots of the turbo placement in the exhaust side.. I know its a bigger problem in 968 where the hood and engine bay are even more tight then 951..I am just curious how it is done there.. and why weaver pump is being used - thats on raceing purpose right?. I absolutely love that setup - I would like to see more pics of that ride of yours..

RolexNJ - yes the resources here are really limited.. My car I quess is the only one with that kind of engine conversion near by..... www.944968.com this is the closest..

About that 968.. most likely I will have my Sport seats retrimmed to black if I use that 968 interor.. because I would not like to give up on them.. they are too cozy..

Keep you posted...
Old 12-21-2006, 07:36 AM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Long way to shop parts from Japan to Estonia.....

Markus, mayby we can start discussion about you selling that rearwing to my car I suppose you will use other interesting parts yourself.
Old 12-21-2006, 09:39 AM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=Markus951]SoloRacer: do you have any more shots of the turbo placement in the exhaust side.. I know its a bigger problem in 968 where the hood and engine bay are even more tight then 951..I am just curious how it is done there.. and why weaver pump is being used - thats on raceing purpose right?. I absolutely love that setup - I would like to see more pics of that ride of yours..QUOTE]

Markus, If the turbo cannot gravity drain back to the motor because it sits to low, they must have used a dry sump pump to suck it out and put it back into the motor.
Old 12-21-2006, 10:35 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

This is going to be interesting Markus
Let me know if I can help you with any of the parts.
Old 12-21-2006, 11:30 AM
Markus951
Racer

OK, if the turbo is positioned so low then I understand why it was buit this way..

Anyway I called a friend today who owns S2 and I sort of tried to figure out how much room will I have for turbo and exhaust manifold etc I quess 968 engine on turbo body will sit similary to S2 engine..... I took a picture of GT30R and GT35R side by side.. Actually the outside dimentions are not that difference at least in compressor side.. But It looks that Have to remove some material from my freshly repainted engine bay to mount one of those turbos! As my goal is somewhat 500 hp Gt30R would even work here... at least compressor side is good for somewhat 550hp...

OK, back to the topic.. this is what I found out during the inspection with the turbos and engine bay:

But Washer tank must go for sure. (most likely to the other side of engine bay..

Power steering reservoir must go for sure.. most likely to somewhere to driver side shock tower..

Oil filter must go fure sure most likely to the same location as the powersteering reservoir - drivers side shock tower..

I have to make a cut the inner fender to mount turbo and downpipe and wastegate...

Air filter has to find its place behind the front bumper

Turbo will be mounted really close to the passanger popup light with 45 degree angle.. - from this pont its only something like 25cm piping from turbo outlet to intercooler and from itnercooler to throttle body is something like 40cm piping.. so totally air have to travel through 65 cm of piping and 60cm of intercooleer width. - not that bad..

http://www.lindseyracing.com/custpics/cust1a8.jpg this setup looks great but looks that you can do this with less room used for exhaust manny and cuts on the body!

Hood - on the beginning id like to keep the hood as it but if it is needed beside air vents to the top exhaust manifold..

Here are some comparison fotos of GT35R vs GT30R

Markus
Old 12-21-2006, 11:37 AM
blodstrupmoen
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Mocal makes a kit to relocate oil filter .. IIRC ther was a thread about this a couple of years ago ..

http://shop.trac-art.co.uk/section.php?xSec=207
Old 12-21-2006, 07:56 PM
Porschefile
Three Wheelin'

Markus, sweet new project! I was sad to see about your 951 as it was really clean and had quite a bit of potential.

If all you want is 500hp at the crank, you might want to consider having someone machine a 3" inlet T04E Compressor housing for whichever of those turbos you'll be using. It's been done before, and although it will sacrifice a bit of hp, at 500fwhp (~430-440rwhp depending on drivetrain loss) you would hardly be pushing a 35r and would still have a decent amount of room left with a 30r. Anyways, that comp. housing should make fitment quite a bit easier. The 4" T04S housing and 4" 30r housing's aren't really as necessary until you start looking for say 500-600+rwhp as by that point and pushing that much airflow, a T04E housing would pose much more of an airflow restriction.

Quick Reply: The Saga Continues....this time more valves, more displacement