Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Clutch mods???

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 07:45 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Clutch mods???

I'm looking at doing some mods in the future and am wondering what sort of clutch upgrades you guys suggest? Are there any opinions on things like the 'Spec' clutches? I was looking at the middle stage III or Hybrid kit. This would be to go with a lightened flywheel as well.
Thanks
Old 12-19-2006, 09:24 AM
SeaCay
Thefu
Rennlist Member

Received 658 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
I'm looking at doing some mods in the future and am wondering what sort of clutch upgrades you guys suggest? Are there any opinions on things like the 'Spec' clutches? I was looking at the middle stage III or Hybrid kit. This would be to go with a lightened flywheel as well.
Thanks
Why can't someone do a multi-plate Tilton clutch setup?
Old 12-19-2006, 10:27 AM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Thanks
I can't say a thing about a Spec Hybrid, but the regular Spec? I can tell you this, stay away! I hated the Spec Stage 3 one I had. I had 2 other people drive my old 3.0L, and they said the same thing, couldn't stand it. Anyway, if you do a search, you'll see how many people weren't happy with them. The hybrids may be totally different, but I don't know. You could also ask Chris White, for he does totally custom made hybrid clutches, one of which I am going with for my car. But if you want my opinion on the regular Spec, PM me for more detailed info.

Last edited by RolexNJ; 12-19-2006 at 03:20 PM.
Old 12-19-2006, 10:33 AM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did a lot of research when my clutch went out and also heard some mixed revies about Spec.

I went with the Cup clutch and I am making decent power and it holds rock solid. Feels as smooth as stock also which was important to me as my car is daily driver.

Also, I know many in here do the lightnend flywheel but my mech said it is more for track car that is usually high in the revs. A street car works better with the stock/heavier flywheel in being varied rev ranges and the inirtia of the heavier flywheel also helps with spool up due to more load on the motor.
Old 12-19-2006, 02:45 PM
aeronautica86
Three Wheelin'

my plan, when I eventually need a new clutch and am making alot more power, will be to use a 930 or cup clutch with the KEP stg 1 pressure plate; from what I've read, it sounds like this setup will be able to handle lots of power and still be smooth on the street
Old 12-19-2006, 02:59 PM
George D
Drifting

Default Clutch

I've had different clutch set-ups in my different 951's. Area 951 sells a custom clutch that is fabricated from the stock pressure plate and uses whatever disc necessary for your particular application.

I've used the Kennedy pressure plate and 930 disc one of my cars that has 350 wheel hp, and it worked very well. Much like stock, but held much better. My current car is hitting 450 at the wheels, and I'm using Area 951's clutch setup for this application. It feels like stock, but holds like nothing I've used before. It takes whatever I give it. I'm using a stock lightened flywheel. They actually have discs for drag racing for our cars.

Go to www.area951.com and take a look. I am not affiliated with them, just like their stuff.

George
Old 12-19-2006, 03:08 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by George D
My current car is hitting 450 at the wheels, and I'm using Area 951's clutch setup for this application. It feels like stock, but holds like nothing I've used before. It takes whatever I give it. I'm using a stock lightened flywheel.
Welcome George. If I am not mistaken, your car (according to your profile) was owned by a previous Rennlisted who lived in CA, no? Maybe I am wrong? And wow, 450 @ the rear? Not to go OT, but I'd love to see the dyno chart, to see the curves, and know what PSI level you ran it at?

Old 12-19-2006, 03:16 PM
420WHP944
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I have the spec stage 3 in my car and i'm happy with it now, the first thousand miles or so it juddered a bit in first gear when taking off but its bedded in now and the judder is almost not worth mentioning.
Old 12-19-2006, 03:23 PM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

I like my spec, to each's own I guess.
Old 12-19-2006, 03:25 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Thanks guys. Good info. Yes I have been warned about going a lightenend fly for the same reasons of driveability. I was thinking about that more for the future if I go up in capacity which would give me more tq. It also sounds like the Spec clutches have a mixed response?
Old 12-19-2006, 03:33 PM
Rob
Addict
Rennlist Member

I've been happy with my stage 2 and lightened factory flywheel as well.
Old 12-19-2006, 04:55 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by SeaCay
Why can't someone do a multi-plate Tilton clutch setup?
Lol, who wants to spend $6k for a clutch and needs to be able to hold 1000hp in a 951? I have installed many Tilton setups on our 996TT builds, but it would be severe overkill for a 951 IMHO.
Old 12-19-2006, 07:24 PM
Moook
Racer

Personally . I WOULDNT touch another SPEC clutch if you gave it too me....

There rubbish...NO after sales service ...STAY well away.....I got it from Lindsey racing. + they DIDNT want to know me once it was sold + fitted...

Mine juddered in most gears both going up + down the box...

It WAS a stage 1,,,,

I took t out after persiveering for about 3000miles .
I tried slow take offs ,, HARD take offs with loads of slip ,,all to no avail IT STILL juddered its head off....

Just my 2pth...
Old 12-19-2006, 07:24 PM
Porschefile
Three Wheelin'

Mixed responses on parts like clutches are largely due to the user's preferences. Unfortunately too many people let their preference influence their posts and maybe give people the wrong ideas. There are those that like stiff, unforgiving race clutches (like me!) and there are those that want perfect drivability. I have driven many cars with Spec clutches (usually the stage 3) and have friends that have used them for a fairly long amount of time. While they may be a bit "unforgiving" for some people (that's just the nature of a puck clutch IMO), the clutches themselves work just fine and don't have any reliability issues.

On another note, if someone really wants a multi-plate setup, I'd highly recommend contacting some domestic company like Quartermaster as plenty of them will do custom clutches, and it will save you a ton over something like a Tilton. That being said, single plates will work just fine for pretty much all of our uses. There are some differences (or improvements some may prefer) regarding clutch modulation, slipability (I know it's not a word! ), etc compared to a single plate though I'd personally save the money and just learn to adjust to a single plate.

As for flywheels, that's another subject that's been skewed by personal preferences. I think the ultimate questions you should be asking yourself is what power level you have to support, and what type of drivability do you prefer? I've heard some people say they like the stock "progressive" throttle response of the 951, and typically those people wouldn't like the increased response from a lightweight flywheel. Personally, I think the 951 is pretty sluggish in throttle response, in stock form. Reliability is never really an issue with aluminum flywheels like Fidanza's, despite what some may have you believe. I'd try to focus on what type of response and clutch feel you prefer. If you like "good" throttle response and prefer a grippy, positive feeling clutch, and if you don't mind reduced slipability compared to a stock clutch then I'd say a puck style clutch and lightweight flywheel should be more your style.
Old 12-19-2006, 07:30 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

We sold spec clutches for years for our applications, and they worked very well. Never had a failure like the KEP stuff. Then we were named in a class action lawsuit as a dealer of spec, because they got caught removing asbestos stickers from the clutch discs. So we let that relationship go.........

Quick Reply: Clutch mods???