Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Clutch mods???

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 07:45 PM
Porschefile
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheDoc
We sold spec clutches for years for our applications, and they worked very well. Never had a failure like the KEP stuff. Then we were named in a class action lawsuit as a dealer of spec, because they got caught removing asbestos stickers from the clutch discs. So we let that relationship go.........

KEP failures?! I don't remember ever seeing/hearing of any. What type of failures have you seen? Ouch, lawsuits suck! Sorry to hear that.
Old 12-19-2006, 07:52 PM
SeaCay
Thefu
Rennlist Member

Received 658 Likes on 330 Posts

Lol, who wants to spend $6k for a clutch and needs to be able to hold 1000hp in a 951? I have installed many Tilton setups on our 996TT builds, but it would be severe overkill for a 951 IMHO.
The parts suppliers I'm looking at have Tilton 2 plate clutch assy's for ~$1850 without the slave cylinder/throwout bearing. Based upon the prevalence of clutch problems in this thread alone, I think there could be a market for something in that range.
Old 12-19-2006, 07:58 PM
George D
Drifting

Dyno of George's 89 951. This chart is at 21psi on pump gas. We recently did some additional tuning and hit 462 wheel hp at 24psi using 100 octane mixed with 91. I run the car at 20psi on pump gas and 23 using race gas.

The tq looks like it's fake, but it does this every dyno run. MAX 951 chips seem to do a very good job with this car.

Regards,

George
Old 12-19-2006, 08:27 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by SeaCay
The parts suppliers I'm looking at have Tilton 2 plate clutch assy's for ~$1850 without the slave cylinder/throwout bearing. Based upon the prevalence of clutch problems in this thread alone, I think there could be a market for something in that range.
That wouldn't be a bad price, but I am curious how the slave / throwout bearing assemblies work. In the 996 applications they are completely different, and not cheap.
Old 12-19-2006, 08:54 PM
SeaCay
Thefu
Rennlist Member

Received 658 Likes on 330 Posts

That wouldn't be a bad price, but I am curious how the slave / throwout bearing assemblies work. In the 996 applications they are completely different, and not cheap.
Tilton throwout bearing/ slave cylinder assy is $375 from Pegasus.

http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pro...asp?RecId=3570

I imagine the trick is in modifying the bellhousing to accept the Tilton slave at the proper depth to affect a good clutch release (along with a modified flywheel the has starter ring and hall effect pins on it). That's where the money could possibly be, but we're only in the neighborhood of $2200 for parts right here, with the huge benefit of smaller and lighter clutch. Don't know about anybody else, but I'd hit it!
Attached Images  
Old 12-19-2006, 09:47 PM
George D
Drifting

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...3&page=2&pp=15

This post was the last dyno run on my car that I have archived.

George
Old 12-20-2006, 08:48 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

What about something like this?
http://www.clutchnet.com/product.php...7&cat=0&page=1
John from Vitesse says that David Lloyd runs something like this so if your out there David let me know what you think. I'll try to PM you. I want something that is streetable which would include some driving in traffic. I've never driven something like a kep or puck but I hear that they are like 'Bang' in, 'Bang' out so I'm a bit concerned about the driveability. Having said all that my focus is for the track over street so I'm prepared for some compromise as well.
Old 12-20-2006, 09:19 PM
tconn
Three Wheelin'

Thats the clutch I have. I installed it with the KEP stage1 pp and stock fly wheel.
it holds really well. My stock clutch glazed over after the VR stage2 upgrade.

I've got maybe 2k miles on it so far. Getting the car rolling sometimes is a pain
and rev matching on down shifts is a must.
If your in heavy traffic alot or are a lazzy driver this will be to agressive for you.
Old 12-20-2006, 10:47 PM
xtaC
Racer

I've got a SPEC Stage 3 Hybrid in my 951, and I love it.

Good, positive engagement, and no slippage (though I'm only making 270 rwhp).

I wouldn't have any problems using it as a daily driver with this clutch setup.
Old 12-20-2006, 11:21 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine is a daily driver with the 6 puck disc you linked to and a stage 2 KEP, if you want smooth as stock then this is not for you, but if you want no slipage worries this is the ticket.

If you take off at 1500 rpm's then she is smooth and like Tim said rev matching on down shifts are a must.

I spent an hour in stop and go Christmas traffic last weekend and it was not too bad.

Would I like for it to be a little more forgiving ? sure...... but I am willing to give a little for major clamping power.
Old 12-20-2006, 11:26 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Try to find a car with a Spec to drive. Ive HATED every Spec clutch if felt. They feel very "limp wristed" and poncy to me. Same with Centerforce.
Old 12-21-2006, 02:40 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Thanks David and others for the responses. The funny thing is that I've felt some trepidation before I put in my new suspension as the springs are 616 f 708 r, but the KW's are so good it's not a worry. Same thing before I put in the RacersEdge solid bushings but they are fine (like adding another 5 lbs to your tyres). It's the same with the clutch upgrades. I've never driven anything but stock and you hear stories of how uncompromising pucks and keps are. Having said that I've been heel and toeing for 25 years. Same with double de-clutching and left foot braking so I've always been a very competent shifter. I don't even drive over much distance on a daily basis so maybe I should just bite the bullet and do it. I'm waiting to hear back from that company in the link as they don't make a standard pressure plate or lightened flywheel for our cars and it has to be custom made I believe.
I also don't want a shuddering lifechange either. Confusing ain't it???
Old 12-21-2006, 08:46 AM
Charlie944
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As some of you know I have had my fair share of clutch changes this past year (3 to be exact but who is counting ) in search of a recipe that would not slip. I ended up with a KEP 1 and a full faced Feramic disc with a sprung Cup hub and 10lbs OE flywheel. This combo is holding great and it still quite streetable. I have driven it in Chicago traffic jams without a flinch other than the clucth pedal gets a bit heavy feeling after that kind of engagement/disengagment. Last night I drove the car and I put the gas down ~3/4 throttle at 3200rpm in 2nd gear doing about 30mph and the rear end broke loose with 275's out back!
The disc I got from South Bend Clutch Co in Indiana. The KEP has terrific modulation chacteristics which is even more critical with more aggressive disc compounds which yield higher coefficients of friction. I do get a small amount of chatter in reverse but that is it.
I could not be happier
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: Clutch mods???