Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Decisions, decisions.

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 05:37 PM
RKD in OKC
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Decisions, decisions.

My 89 is going under the wrench this winter. Motor is coming out and bottom end is coming apart. Bit of a knock when oil gets hot and thin. Have narrowed cause down to oil thermostat.

It has lightened crossdrilled crank, pauter rods, coated pistons, re-nickasiled block, Lindsey Stage II o-ringed head, aluminum flywheel, raceware fasteners, Super61 dry Turbo, Autothority MAF, Dual port wastegate, Wrapped stock headers, Zeitronix EGT, Boost, Wideband.

Current list of "While I'm In There" stuff...

Reconfigure Super61 as Wet Turbo, Velocity grind stage II head, upgrade to Solid Lifters with a good cam and valve springs, poke in some of Russells chips (or new chipboard!) and swap out the MBC for an electronic boost controller.

I've been hearing about a stroked 2.8 Lindseys have in their shop right now. With a sport turbo @ 18psi it is making over 450 rwhp!

I'm thinking that since I will have the motor apart to redo the crank bearings and overall inspection, I might as well go back in with a 3 liter crank and offset pistons to make a 2.8 liter out of it.

Whatta ya think?
Old 11-14-2006, 05:55 PM
420WHP944
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I say do it my own car is a 2.8 and longer stroke gives better torque, well worth doing it when you have the engine apart...
Old 11-14-2006, 06:09 PM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DO IT!
Old 11-14-2006, 06:12 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

At least you have the Pauter rods already...I think I'd throw the 75 in there and get full advantage of the 2.8. Why do you want to go back wet with the turbo setup? Is the car getting daily driver service?
Old 11-14-2006, 06:45 PM
amschnellsten
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

delicious!
Old 11-14-2006, 08:11 PM
Landjet
Burning Brakes

If you can fund it do it. When I bought my 2.8L the extra grunt was a nice surprise. You won't be disappointed.
Old 11-14-2006, 08:27 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by RKD in OKC
My 89 is going under the wrench this winter. Motor is coming out and bottom end is coming apart. Bit of a knock when oil gets hot and thin. Have narrowed cause down to oil thermostat.

It has lightened crossdrilled crank, pauter rods, coated pistons, re-nickasiled block, Lindsey Stage II o-ringed head, aluminum flywheel, raceware fasteners, Super61 dry Turbo, Autothority MAF, Dual port wastegate, Wrapped stock headers, Zeitronix EGT, Boost, Wideband.

Current list of "While I'm In There" stuff...

Reconfigure Super61 as Wet Turbo, Velocity grind stage II head, upgrade to Solid Lifters with a good cam and valve springs, poke in some of Russells chips (or new chipboard!) and swap out the MBC for an electronic boost controller.

I've been hearing about a stroked 2.8 Lindseys have in their shop right now. With a sport turbo @ 18psi it is making over 450 rwhp!

I'm thinking that since I will have the motor apart to redo the crank bearings and overall inspection, I might as well go back in with a 3 liter crank and offset pistons to make a 2.8 liter out of it.

Whatta ya think?
I can't believe after all the bugs, issues, problems you had with that car since 2003, you are still going to keep it? I am in shock? You were talking about getting rid of it for a 928, but now youre gonna keep it and put more money into it? And you want to go to a 2.8L? I am confused Richard, I know that you use that car for 99.9% autocross, that's a fact. You don't do any tracking at all. I mean, do you really need a 2.8L, why not just a rebuild 2.5L and some minor mods? You think you really need for autocrossing 450 RWHP? Sounds a bit of overkill to me.

And this is news to me. Lindsey now has 2.8Ls that are making 450 RWHP @ 18 PSI? Really? Why doesn't Mike or Dave post those dyno charts and results here and talk it up? How about Wes, or someone from LR? I would be curious to learn more about that, myself, but more so to see the dyno charts and the A/F ratios. If you are considering this 2.8L, can you get a chart and post here for us to see?

Final thoughts? I think you should stick with a 2.5L rebuild, and get some mods done to it. Save some money. Anyway, that's my 2 cents. But get back to us and let's see and hear more about this 2.8L making 450 on a LR Sport Turbo @ 18 PSI. Do I assume that's with the max chips? Solid lifters? Race gas? Etc?

Good luck whatever you do pal.

Last edited by RolexNJ; 11-14-2006 at 08:45 PM.
Old 11-14-2006, 09:03 PM
eospeed
Racer

Why save it spend it.Want to buy a MID sleaved 3.1 with a 16 v head?
Old 11-15-2006, 03:07 PM
RKD in OKC
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Ski - Going back to wet for two reasons. First, the oil temp problems I'm having due to the oil thermostat would have been a lot less with a wet turbo helping to cool the turbo. Second, I do drive the car other than track/autocrss and I like the idea of the turbo aftercooling to keep the turbo from coking up. Also keeping with the Super61 to keep the powerband as low in the rpm range as possible to counter the poor gearing selection for autocross.

Rob - The problems I've been having were mainly electrical due to the cars age and mileage. Comes with the cheap buy-in. It has been a hassle and overly frustrating at times but in the long run I've spent less on that stuff than the difference in the purchase price for a low mileage car. And with a lower mileage car this is still no guarantee of not having the same sort of age related electrical problems. Besides, this tear down is going to be a prime opportunity to go thru all the electricals and make sure there isn't too much resistance due to age or corrosion. As far as "tracking" goes, I just can't get into driving laps around a track where there is no real racing or timing, ie., DE's, and I can afford neither the time or money for full blown club racing. So, I autocross, have fun doing it, and enjoy the heck out of it. Besides, who says 2.8 liters it too much to autocross, I'm thinking more low end will help tremendously in the tight bits where 1st is to low and 2nd is too high.

As for posting Lindsey Racings current projects, it is not my place to do so. If you want information on what Lindsey Racing is doing, I suggest you contact them.

Eospeed - So far I feel the extra umph of a 2.8 is going to push the limits of available traction as it is. The 2.8 at LR now spins 265's in third by just mashing the throttle while cruising.

Had lunch with Mike Lindsey yesterday and he has pretty much convinced me to go nuts, eer I mean, stroke it, switch to solids, and build up the motor with a target of running 18psi of boost. What actually happens will depend on how things look when the motor comes apart. There is some question as to whether the block was Nickasiled or not and the availability of pistons and rings depending on the cylinder coating and condition.
Old 11-15-2006, 04:31 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by RKD in OKC

Rob - The problems I've been having were mainly electrical due to the cars age and mileage. Comes with the cheap buy-in. It has been a hassle and overly frustrating at times but in the long run I've spent less on that stuff than the difference in the purchase price for a low mileage car. And with a lower mileage car this is still no guarantee of not having the same sort of age related electrical problems. Besides, this tear down is going to be a prime opportunity to go thru all the electricals and make sure there isn't too much resistance due to age or corrosion. As far as "tracking" goes, I just can't get into driving laps around a track where there is no real racing or timing, ie., DE's, and I can afford neither the time or money for full blown club racing. So, I autocross, have fun doing it, and enjoy the heck out of it. Besides, who says 2.8 liters it too much to autocross, I'm thinking more low end will help tremendously in the tight bits where 1st is to low and 2nd is too high.

As for posting Lindsey Racings current projects, it is not my place to do so. If you want information on what Lindsey Racing is doing, I suggest you contact them.
Spoke to Mike and got the info, thanks. And you're the man Richard, you go get it if you want that 2.8L.

Old 11-15-2006, 08:01 PM
Landjet
Burning Brakes

Rob what did you find out???
Old 11-15-2006, 08:05 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Landjet
Rob what did you find out???
Its not for me to say, sorry. Contact Lindsey or ask Richard. I dont work for LR and respect them. I wouldnt want to disclose anything that is between me and them. I hope you can respect that. I have a good relationship with them, and would never want to tarnish it.

Ask Richard though, he's the one who let the cat out of the bag?

Old 11-15-2006, 08:19 PM
Landjet
Burning Brakes

Hey thats ok Rob. I didn't know the situation, if it was kind off hush, hush or something that could be out in the open. I am going down there next week if I can get away from work for some parts so???
Old 11-15-2006, 08:23 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Landjet
Hey thats ok Rob. I didn't know the situation, if it was kind off hush, hush or something that could be out in the open. I am going down there next week if I can get away from work for some parts so???
If you are going there, then talk to Mike and ask him about that 2.8L that they just worked on. I would venture to say he would tell you more about it.

Old 11-15-2006, 08:58 PM
special tool
Banned

RKD - please post a picture of the used rod bearings as deformed by the Pauter Rods if you have a chance. I would be interested to see them

Quick Reply: Decisions, decisions.