944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Decisions, decisions.

Old 11-15-2006, 09:06 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Do ONE DE- then tell me its no fun! I say stroke it and take it to the track. I love autox but once you drive on a track your hooked.
Old 11-15-2006, 09:09 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by xsboost90
Do ONE DE- then tell me its no fun! I say stroke it and take it to the track. I love autox but once you drive on a track your hooked.
Old 11-15-2006, 11:41 PM
Landjet
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doing a weekend DE is one of the points of no return. The other is
I think I need just a little more boost.
Old 11-16-2006, 12:42 AM
RKD in OKC
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

ST- I will be happy post some pictures once they are out. I am sure the wear is from the oil getting too hot and too thin to maintain oil pressure. One to many (!). Right now I am anxiously awaiting my turn in the bay to get things started.

XSBoost - I've owned Porsches for many years now and have DEed an 88 Turbo S with 270 rwhp several times on Goodyear R1s and Yoko 0032Rs. I had my brake pedal go thud, hitting the floor at the next to last brake marker going into the stop sign at Hallett doing 140mph and keeping ahead of Kim Crumb in a full race prepared 928GT. I was able to slow the car by putting it sideways and power sliding thru the 40 mph turn like a dirt tracker. Afterwards Kim told me, "I saw what you did, and wanted you to know...you only have so many of those in you." On the Yokos I kept up and traded passes with Ron Forstal when he had his RUF. He even changed tires between sessons to try to out run me. I also DEed once with my 325 rwhp 90 928 GT and once again my stock 2001 Boxster S. I am not unfamiliar with a weekend DE.

DEs are great if you like to drive at high speeds, I'm glad you have fun at them. AND, I think there would be a LOT less accidents if everyone were required take their current daily driver to at least one DE and one Autocross to find out how the car handles so they might avoid making poor decisions in a possible accident situation on the public roadways. DEs just aren't my thing.

In defense of my preference for Autocross, our local PCA autocross is not your typical bunch of short turns in a parking lot, or on a runway. It is setup on an 8 to 12 turn, 1.2 mile, 2 lane road course with a 400 ft skid pad and two banked carousels with some run off area. It is much more like time trials than an autocross. We have both long high speed turns and those short twisty bits that challenge your quick reaction times. We just don't provide anything without a chicane that lets you go any faster than red line in 3rd gear for saftey's sake. It is a popular event for most all of the DEers around here.

Last edited by RKD in OKC; 11-16-2006 at 01:34 AM.
Old 11-16-2006, 11:14 AM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by RKD in OKC
In defense of my preference for Autocross, our local PCA autocross is not your typical bunch of short turns in a parking lot, or on a runway. It is setup on an 8 to 12 turn, 1.2 mile, 2 lane road course with a 400 ft skid pad and two banked carousels with some run off area. It is much more like time trials than an autocross. We have both long high speed turns and those short twisty bits that challenge your quick reaction times. We just don't provide anything without a chicane that lets you go any faster than red line in 3rd gear for saftey's sake. It is a popular event for most all of the DEers around here.
Go and have Lindsey build you that 2.8L, and you can always be the FTD (Fastest Time of Day) not the Flower Company, in that Mad Max Monster car of yours!

Old 11-16-2006, 12:18 PM
RKD in OKC
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by RolexNJ
Go and have Lindsey build you that 2.8L, and you can always be the FTD (Fastest Time of Day) not the Flower Company, in that Mad Max Monster car of yours!
I really just want to be able to get into throttle steering the drift as soon as I get off the brakes instead of waiting for the powerband half-way thru the turn AND there are some new BMW M Power guys coming out, can't have them showing up our P cars!
Old 11-16-2006, 12:27 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by RKD in OKC
I really just want to be able to get into throttle steering the drift as soon as I get off the brakes instead of waiting for the powerband half-way thru the turn AND there are some new BMW M Power guys coming out, can't have them showing up our P cars!
So now you want to beat the BMWs? Well, if LR builds this car for you, that's a no brainer. And while you're at it pal, throwing all kinds of money around now for this monster 2.8L, how about joining Rennlist as a paying member? We got Joe (Defastest951) to finally spend the money after 3 years?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Decisions, decisions.