Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

constant sputtering and no boost, also running hot

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 09:57 PM
1Sick86
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default constant sputtering and no boost, also running hot

Well my porsche just started to sputter and not run right. It ran great for a couple weeks and it rained like 3 nights ago, and I had to drive the car but it did not take in any water that I know of. Well it ran fine the night after the rain so I do not think that had anything to do with it, but figured I would mention it anyways. When I start the car it will barely idle, and it will only take a very small amount of throttle or it will cut out badly. I have been trying to check everything and sometimes when I start it, it will run just great and I can drive it fine with boost. Then sometimes it will get to like 3k then when boost comeson it falls on its face. Other times I cant even drive it without it wanting to stall. I let it idle and unplugged the TPS to see if it had any effect and the idle went up to 2k and when I plugged it back in it went back down. I think that part is ok, but I am not sure if the air flow meter is ok. It does not seem to have an effect if it is plugged in or not. When I do have the car running it heats up quite a bit which is unusual. I am thinking the thermostat, but not sure if the valve that controls water flow is good or bad, would this cause the studdering even when cold?? What else could cause this horrible studdering?
Old 10-16-2006, 11:44 PM
RKD in OKC
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Check your intercooler connections and the connections to the Blow off Valve. Sounds like an intake air leak at one of those big connections.
Old 10-17-2006, 02:35 AM
1Sick86
Track Day

Yea, I looked into the bigger connections and some of the small ones, but have found nothing. Maybe the BOV is faulty? I am still looking around. What exactly is a DME, KLR or CV? While searching around I see people with these things failing and causing problems similar to mine. Thanks for all your help! I cant wait to get back on the road, it was great while it lasted!! lol
Old 10-17-2006, 04:58 PM
1Sick86
Track Day

Do you think a DME could be on its way out? Do they cut in and out or just fail all together when they go bad?
Old 10-17-2006, 07:31 PM
C. Beau
Banned

Sputtering - look at the distibutor rotor, make sure it isn't loose on the shaft. It is only a tiny little set screw...they can come loose....red Locktite it.

Also make sure the contact points on the dist. cap are nice and clean, sand if nec.

The cap contacts would be a longer developing problem but if the rotor comes loose it will make all kinds of popping, stuttering etc.

As for heating up, my prognosis on the other would be unrelated I think

Quick Reply: constant sputtering and no boost, also running hot