Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Bosch 044 noise Survey...

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 03:35 PM
blodstrupmoen
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Okay..

In my quest to find where this noise comes from I have changed the fuel lines from SS to rubber that did not help, I also changed the FPR, then I by-passed the Damper . That helped with the bouncing of the fuel pressure gauge. But not the ticking noise. .

I have a stock fuel rail, bosch 044 pump, siemens 55# and rubber hoses.

Now, last night i suspected it may be a injector since I thought it was to high pitch to be a lifter. What i did was that I removed all the metal clips from the injector harness and put the plugs on again Started the car and pulled the plugg on one injector at the time. This had no effect at the noise at all.

So now I`m back to lifters again.. Any other suggestions? ..

I have tried listening to the lifters at the cam house with a screw driver but there is now place where the noise will be higher or different .

Also I have been running with these injectors and pump for a couple of years with no noise.. Whats new is the refurbished head and the vitesse maf
Old 03-14-2007, 04:43 PM
TRP951
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What piece would I need to cap off where the dampener is on the lindsey rail?
Old 03-14-2007, 05:44 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

I suspect your noise is different than the one that is the subject of this thread -- sounds to me like you have a lifter or injector tick -- have you tried a mechanic's stethescope on the injectors and/or cam tower?

Originally Posted by blodstrupmoen
Okay..

In my quest to find where this noise comes from I have changed the fuel lines from SS to rubber that did not help, I also changed the FPR, then I by-passed the Damper . That helped with the bouncing of the fuel pressure gauge. But not the ticking noise. .

I have a stock fuel rail, bosch 044 pump, siemens 55# and rubber hoses.

Now, last night i suspected it may be a injector since I thought it was to high pitch to be a lifter. What i did was that I removed all the metal clips from the injector harness and put the plugs on again Started the car and pulled the plugg on one injector at the time. This had no effect at the noise at all.

So now I`m back to lifters again.. Any other suggestions? ..

I have tried listening to the lifters at the cam house with a screw driver but there is now place where the noise will be higher or different .

Also I have been running with these injectors and pump for a couple of years with no noise.. Whats new is the refurbished head and the vitesse maf
Old 03-14-2007, 06:49 PM
blodstrupmoen
Pro

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
I suspect your noise is different than the one that is the subject of this thread -- sounds to me like you have a lifter or injector tick -- have you tried a mechanic's stethescope on the injectors and/or cam tower?
Well , I have had a lifter gone bad before . This sound is different.
No I have not tried a stethescope but I have used the "scewdriver" method

As I said I pulled all injectors ( one at the time ) and there was no difference in the sound. When I put the screwdriver on the injectors I can clearly hear the ticking , but on the cam tower it is hard to tell appart from the usual sounds.
Also when I hold the fuel lines I can feel the pulsating.
The sound would rise with rpm.

I think I just pull the cam tower and check all lifters ..
Old 03-17-2007, 03:48 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by Under Pressure Performance
Tom,

The issue is not isolated to the LR pieces. Nor is it an issue with the pump itself, but there are definitely combinations of pumps, dampers, rails, and lines where this issue manifests.

It is also worth noting that removing the damper will greatly reduce (virtually eliminate) the knocking/clunking noise, but will do little if the noise you have is more of a fast tempo harmonic in the rail/lines - That is related to timing of the injector pulses and pumping effect through the lines - This noise will vary in amplitude at different RPM's as the injector pulses phase in an out of sync with the pumping pulsations in the lines - I hope that makes sense.

If you have a distinct knocking in the fuel lines, then the damper removal should do the trick.

Hope this helps.

Well, bummer, I just bypassed the damper and gave it a shot. If anything the knocking in the lines got worse... My quest goes on...

It's a knocking in the lines -- I can hold the fuel line in the engine bay and feel it pulse -- not a harmonic at all.
Old 03-18-2007, 07:14 AM
blodstrupmoen
Pro

Well, bummer, I just bypassed the damper and gave it a shot. If anything the knocking in the lines got worse... My quest goes on...

It's a knocking in the lines -- I can hold the fuel line in the engine bay and feel it pulse -- not a harmonic at all.

I can also feel the knocking in the lines when holding them.. But now I have pulled the cam house to check the lifters and if there has been a mix up with the shims when rebuilding..
Old 03-18-2007, 08:18 PM
Tms951
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice to see you around these parts Scott I've been too busy to try bypassing the damper, but will at my first opportunity. I am having this issue with a stock fuel rail and stock damper, with 83lb injectors and the 044 pump -- no LR parts on the car at all in fact.

(and, no, no time yet to assemble the motor or even uncrate the tranny...)
Have you considered that the problem might involve having such a big pump and injectors and trying to cram it through the small stock rail.

I have heard from two different sources that the limit of the stock rail is 55lb. injectors.

I would be interested in what would happen if you added just the Lindsey rail and no dampener. It sounds like with what ever you have done to your cars to need 83lb injectors that the rail is probaly worth it compaired to the rest of the investment you have allready made.

Quick Reply: Bosch 044 noise Survey...