Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

catch can

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2006, 03:45 AM
azmi951
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.saikoumichi.com/DC3_page.htm
This is a guy on a private froum in Arizona. VERY nice stuff and actually ENGINEERED, not just bling.
He designed it to go in line with your stock AOS.

Also it is best to get the AOS as cool as possible in order to get the oil vapors to condense. I really dont like the idea of having it over the headers. It keeps the vapors hot, thus they do not want to condense and there is a risk of fire since there is oil right over the header.

http://w83.photobucket.com/widgets/d.../j310/Slowcar/

He says $70 for the single tank.
Old 12-09-2006, 07:51 PM
markl951
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Hey good info all around. Thanks for the update.

I'm trying to determine if the oil in my intake system is coming from the turbo, the AOS or both. Just want to be smart about installing a catch can if that's the way I go about trying to isolate the two sources.
Old 12-09-2006, 08:02 PM
dougoh
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nothing to really report yet...i havent had much time to really look into where exactly the oil is coming from but i did install the catch can and just havent had the time to really see if it is helping or not ...sorry

Originally Posted by markl951
Any updates to this thread dougoh?
Old 12-10-2006, 01:45 PM
chrly924s
Three Wheelin'

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ighlight=catch
Old 12-16-2006, 01:11 AM
paralleltangent
Instructor

Those of you who have installed the Lindsey catch can, I'm curious what you did with the drain tube. Did you just let it hang free with the valve on the end of it, or did you anchor it to something?

I'm installing mine this weekend (with a Moroso breather looped back to the J-boot) and I haven't yet decided what I'm going to do with the drain.
Old 12-16-2006, 08:37 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by paralleltangent
Those of you who have installed the Lindsey catch can, I'm curious what you did with the drain tube. Did you just let it hang free with the valve on the end of it, or did you anchor it to something?

I'm installing mine this weekend (with a Moroso breather looped back to the J-boot) and I haven't yet decided what I'm going to do with the drain.
I actually changed the drain line and now use fuel line and you can run it to where it is very easy to reach, keep it off the exhaust with zip ties.
Old 12-16-2006, 11:11 PM
Pauerman
Addict
Rennlist Member

This would be another nice option for our cars - MANN Provent

Too bad that this unit wouldn't work in the typically installed location. It's max temp exposure is 248 deg F.
Old 12-17-2006, 03:49 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by azmi951
http://www.saikoumichi.com/DC3_page.htm
This is a guy on a private froum in Arizona. VERY nice stuff and actually ENGINEERED, not just bling.
He designed it to go in line with your stock AOS.

Also it is best to get the AOS as cool as possible in order to get the oil vapors to condense. I really dont like the idea of having it over the headers. It keeps the vapors hot, thus they do not want to condense and there is a risk of fire since there is oil right over the header.

http://w83.photobucket.com/widgets/d.../j310/Slowcar/

He says $70 for the single tank.
Any opinions of this product? It looks well thought out and made to me?
Old 12-17-2006, 12:17 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by paralleltangent
Those of you who have installed the Lindsey catch can, I'm curious what you did with the drain tube. Did you just let it hang free with the valve on the end of it, or did you anchor it to something? I'm installing mine this weekend (with a Moroso breather looped back to the J-boot) and I haven't yet decided what I'm going to do with the drain.
Well, not to sound repetitive here, but see my post # 17. Just my two cents. I know David and I are on the same page. For me using my car as a steet car, I'll never, ever let it vent into the air, for the reasons addressed in that post I said. And I do love the LR Can with the Moroso top (thanks again David!), because it fits nice and has the bling I want too!

Old 12-17-2006, 03:13 PM
paralleltangent
Instructor

Rolex, I agree with you... my car is a street car, so I never intended to let it vent to atmosphere for the very reasons you described. I've got the Moroso top and will be routing a hose back to the J-boot. The bling doesn't hurt, either.

What I was unsure about was how to route the drain tube. I didn't think I wanted to just let it hang free since over time I felt the weight of the drain valve combined with road vibration / bumps / etc. may cause the soft aluminum tubing to sag and possibly come into contact with the header or something else. I didn't want to anchor it to the chassis due to movement of the engine relative to the chassis placing stress on the tube, and I couldn't find a good place to anchor it to the engine itself. I think what I'm going to do is follow David's example and swap the alum. tubing with hose and attach it somewhere easily accessible.

Thanks.
Old 12-17-2006, 06:03 PM
Skip Wolfe
Rennlist Member

Is the hose from the AOS going to the intake (or bypassed to a catch can) 3/4" ID or OD?

Thanks,
Old 12-17-2006, 07:00 PM
Mark-87-951
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Any opinions of this product? It looks well thought out and made to me?
I'm thinking of ordering one but I would like to get some blue hose for it. Not sure what size to get and what size reducer I'll need at the j boot. Also, anyone have ideas on how to mount it? Im thinking a large enough sheet metal screw would fit some holes in the side of the strut tower.
Old 12-17-2006, 07:59 PM
Skip Wolfe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mark-87-951
I'm thinking of ordering one but I would like to get some blue hose for it. Not sure what size to get and what size reducer I'll need at the j boot. Also, anyone have ideas on how to mount it? Im thinking a large enough sheet metal screw would fit some holes in the side of the strut tower.
If you can hold off a bit, I am working with them to get a version made with larger fitting to accomodate the larger hose on the 951. Which is why I need someone to confirm whether the 3/4" is ID or OD.
Old 12-17-2006, 08:01 PM
Mark-87-951
Burning Brakes

I'll wait, though I have the intake and off right now, it isnt that hard to get to the connections later. Maybe I mounting system for our cars could be worked out as well?
Old 12-17-2006, 08:26 PM
Magown
Burning Brakes

Skip, the port on the AOS is 3/4" OD.

Quick Reply: catch can