Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

SFR intake manifold

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 04:47 PM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

I have ordered many parts from SFR and have been extrememly happy with his quality! The welds are perfect and the exhaust systems are a true work of art. I have his full exhaust system including the headers and cross over. Work of art!
Old 09-29-2006, 05:19 PM
Landjet
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will see if I can be the test mule on this suject if there are enough of you guys interseted. I am scheduled for dyno time next week to get my race car tuned. I was going to put the LR intake on before I went since I have one sitting in the garage. I could tune it with the stock intake and then put the LR intake on and see what happens if it would help some of you in making a decision. Let me know.
Craig
Old 09-29-2006, 05:23 PM
billindenver
Burning Brakes

I would love to see the result of that back to back test.

Bill
Old 09-29-2006, 08:36 PM
Landjet
Burning Brakes

I will dyno the car on Tuesday and get the tuning done. It is getting close to the Club Race at Hallett so I will change the intake after the race and then re-tune and dyno the car as soon after as I can get it scheduled back in and let you know.
Old 09-29-2006, 10:00 PM
TurboCab
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have this SFR Intake in my 968 Turbo.
Old 09-29-2006, 10:06 PM
Landjet
Burning Brakes

Sweet!!!!
Old 09-29-2006, 10:17 PM
hot-J
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow turbocab, vrey nice! Do you have a dyno sheet? I am sure lots here would be interested in your powerband with those mods.
Old 09-29-2006, 10:18 PM
eospeed
Racer

Thats nice,OT what kind of turbo are you running on that.An how much power are you making if you dont mind sharing?Ive been building up a 968 3.0 motor slowly for a while now just curious what to expect
Old 09-29-2006, 10:25 PM
caster951
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am curious as to whether or not the SFR intake allows access to the turbo without removal just like the Lindsey Racing intake. In my opinion, that is a nice additional benefit to the Lindsey intake.
Old 09-29-2006, 10:27 PM
Tms951
Pro

the amount of info on the Lindsey intake, and the fact that they made the investment to have it cast vs. the lack of info on the SFR one sort of sums it up for me. I also think the plenum on the SFR looks to big. I have the lindsey intake, couldn't be happier perfect fit and finish, well worth the money. I can't speak for dyno gains as I biult the car with it from the start.
Old 09-30-2006, 11:54 AM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Tms951
the amount of info on the Lindsey intake, and the fact that they made the investment to have it cast vs. the lack of info on the SFR one sort of sums it up for me. I also think the plenum on the SFR looks to big. I have the lindsey intake, couldn't be happier perfect fit and finish, well worth the money. I can't speak for dyno gains as I biult the car with it from the start.
I too have had the LR intake and think it is/was fabulous. And they are one of the very few vendors and post data publically. And anyone who knows me, knows that I believe in them, their products, and have spent a lot of money with them on my old car, and will be on my new car too. And I also agree, as a potential customer, I want to have as much data, specs, etc. before I decide to spend a lot of money on a piece. So don't get me wrong, I am with you 100%. However, you can't past judgement because on SFR or any other vendor for not posting data on certain products. Remember, to them some of it is trade secret information. Some of the best engine builders in the 944T community do not advertise their data regarding intakes or any other parts. Two cases in point. Scott Gomes and JME racing. Yet, it is very well know within the racing community that these two people are some of the top engine builders, if not the best in what they do. I don't think anyone can question that. Yet, neither post data on their intakes regarding flow numbers. Again, I know where you are coming from, but, trade secret information is key to these people. And that is what you are buying, is their knowledge and wisdom. The best thing to do, is to call them, do a search on renn for other listers and what they say, and talk to racers in the community. Then, you can make a decision that's more prudent, and not only based solely on the fact that because data isn't posted on their web sites to rule them out.

Just my two cents.

Last edited by RolexNJ; 10-01-2006 at 11:14 AM.
Old 09-30-2006, 05:52 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by hot-J
wow turbocab, vrey nice! Do you have a dyno sheet? I am sure lots here would be interested in your powerband with those mods.
do a search you will find plenty of info on 968 turbo conversions.
Old 10-01-2006, 10:47 AM
PCinDC
Rennlist Lifetime Member
Lifetime Rennlist

I have a Lindsey intake manifold as well. Jon Milledge says that in back to back testing it actually lost horsepower. He recommends an extrude honed stock intake over the Lindsey intake as the Lindsey design starves the #1 and #4 cylinders. For a high horsepower car, its probably not the best choice, unless you just want to look nice and don't care about losing a little power. I like it for the simple fact that I have easy access to my turbo, but I am considering the SFR intake for my next build.

The SFR manifold certainly seems to be designed for more equal flow across the cylinders, but I've never tested one. The SFR manifold also does not allow to access the turbo with the manifold in place. If I had the choice, I too would go for the ITB manifold Milledge sells, price be damned.
Old 10-01-2006, 11:08 AM
hot-J
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 944 Fanatic
I have a Lindsey intake manifold as well. Jon Milledge says that in back to back testing it actually lost horsepower. If I had the choice, I too would go for the ITB manifold Milledge sells, price be damned.
SFR manifold group buy?
Old 10-01-2006, 11:16 AM
eospeed
Racer

I asked DL about it he told me you will lose low end power with that IN.He did not say what the gains on the top were .I cant wait for tues to hear the results from soloracer.I have been waiting for this before I buy one.JM also told me it was a POS in not so many words but I expected that from him.

Quick Reply: SFR intake manifold