Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No sorry, I meant exducer, my bad
Old 08-31-2006, 08:14 PM
Andial951
Legend Killer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by billindenver
So there are no Lindsey exhaust equipped people in here to review their system for us? A racing buddy of mine put the 3" on his 951 and said it dramatically reduced his spool up time.

Bill
89 GT-3s
I put the LR 3" exhaust on my 951 and it made a big difference. I posted about the HP gains and such earlier in the year I think.

Anyway a few of you I think mentioned the best exhaust for a turbo is no exhaust..........might explain this picture I took at the Monterey Historics a couple weekend ago. I think this was a 935.
Attached Images  
Old 09-06-2006, 11:32 AM
Depape
Racer

WOW thats a pretty crazy setup!! so 3inch LR worth it you say!?!?! ......is there anyone out there that has the 4inch LR or something similar!? i really would like to know since im looking to upgrade from stock
Old 09-06-2006, 11:36 AM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Porschefile
There is no reason whatsoever to be running such a large exhaust on a 4 cylinder. Lindsey's claims and supposed dyno proof on their website are false. Boost spikes equal instant torque gains like they show with their supposed dyno proof. I still can't believe LR perpetuates this lie. 3" is perfectly sufficient for everyone on the 951 board plain and simple. I challenge anyone to prove me wrong because I have seen plenty of proof otherwise. The only situation I could see warranting such a large exhaust on a 4 cylinder would be a 3.0L+ motor with something larger than a T4 T67 and putting out 700+rwhp. With a large enough turbo you might get enough backpressure to warrant a 4" exhaust, though AFAIK there is no one here at those kind of power levels.

Some proof of what I am talking about: Link Scroll down to Nize's dyno (hope you don't mind Nize). Hmm, 345rwtq out of a stock k26/6. How's that possible? 19psi boost spike, that's how.
I put 341tq down whats you're point exactly?
Old 09-06-2006, 11:39 AM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by billindenver
So there are no Lindsey exhaust equipped people in here to review their system for us? A racing buddy of mine put the 3" on his 951 and said it dramatically reduced his spool up time.

Bill
89 GT-3s
I've had two lindsey exhaust systems. What do you want to know exactly?
Old 09-06-2006, 01:57 PM
Depape
Racer

porshhhh951, how have your LR exhaust systems been?? have u had the 4inch, tell us you experince with the 4inch was it a big improvment over stock ?? or whatever system you had was it better??
Old 09-06-2006, 03:50 PM
Porschefile
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by porshhhh951
I put 341tq down whats you're point exactly?
My point is that no one here has shown any actual proof other than supposed proof from the creator of a product, which should be taken with a grain of salt because of their personal interest in the product. I respect Lindsey, and I've always had good dealings with them. However, what I am hearing here goes against everything I have seen, and in my experience with OTHER cars. Yet again, the "Porsche is somehow unique and the laws of physics don't apply" bug has struck again. I had the same style (not LR's, a 'lister made it) graduated 3" to 4" exhaust on my stock k26/6 at one point. Needless to say, there would be a minimal gain if any on such a small turbo. Though, the only thing I noticed was a significant torque loss, and a very minimal improvement on the top-end. That's apples to oranges compared to LR's results, though it's still from first hand experience. How about this. Whenever I eventually get around to installing my VR stage 4, I will go ahead and buy this LR 4" and do a dyno comparison between my SFR 3", and then we'll have some real proof. Unfortunately I'm still several months away from this at best as my 911 is taking priority at the moment.

With a 5psi drop in backpressure, in the x-over pipe, I would expect quite a bit more than a 4hp gain. Don't get me wrong, the LR exhaust looks very nicely constructed, and it should definitely provide a worthwhile gain over a 2.5" on some cars with larger turbos. However, my issue is with the huge shift in torque over the 3". I personally don't understand how it could possibly provide such a significant increase on the low-end over the 3", and LR's explanation does not make sense compared to what I have seen of other non-951 vehicles.

Since no one here has yet posted any results or personal experience with the product, why not go research the same topic on various other car forums? That's what I do. An engine is just an air pump. Lots of little differences between motor setups will of course affect results, however the same physics apply. The only significant and worthwhile gains I have ever seen from anything larger than a 3" exhaust on anything short of a v8 are all huge single turbo high horsepower setups. Most notably out of these would be the Supra guys, as they tend to push the limits a bit more often. Though, we are talking about big hp, like 800+rwhp turbos in the 70mm range and up. That's a bit above the current level of 944 setups.
Old 09-06-2006, 04:00 PM
HIGHBOOST
Pro

Your gains from an exhaust system are related to the displacement of the turbine.

If your running a GT35R, and 20psi, you will notice a much greater gain than say a k26/6.
Old 09-06-2006, 05:07 PM
Porschefile
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by HIGHBOOST
Your gains from an exhaust system are related to the displacement of the turbine.

If your running a GT35R, and 20psi, you will notice a much greater gain than say a k26/6.
Of course. I understand that, and that is to be expected. However, I'm disputing the claim that there is a huge or as significant increase in torque between the 3" and graduated 4".
Old 09-06-2006, 06:20 PM
testarossa_td
Race Car

Just get the 3" downpipe and cut out the rest of the exhaust
Old 09-06-2006, 06:21 PM
Andial951
Legend Killer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by testarossa_td
Just get the 3" downpipe and cut out the rest of the exhaust
refer to post #17
Old 09-06-2006, 07:36 PM
HIGHBOOST
Pro

Man, I would love to hear the sound of that car.

I went to the races a couple weeks ago, and was lucky enough to see, and hear one of the Racers Edge Porsches......Awesome
Old 09-06-2006, 07:53 PM
Porschefile
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by HIGHBOOST
Man, I would love to hear the sound of that car.

I went to the races a couple weeks ago, and was lucky enough to see, and hear one of the Racers Edge Porsches......Awesome
This is the best 935 sound I could find. Right Click Save As These are definitely one of those few cars that, in person, raise the hairs on the back of my neck purely because of the sound!
Old 09-06-2006, 09:50 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

BTW 4" is the norm for the Supra boys... some are running complete 5" systems!

Rogue
Old 09-07-2006, 12:12 AM
Porschefile
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Rogue_Ant
BTW 4" is the norm for the Supra boys... some are running complete 5" systems!

Rogue
Yep. 5" is completely understandable when it's no longer "turbo" and instead you're strapping a BLACK HOLE to the side of your motor:
Come on, you know you can't help but smile! It's awesome in the most ridiculous way!

Boost Logic is here in my city. They're a big name in the Supra world for those that don't know. Their shop car just ran 7.80's at ~181mph in the 1/4. I've seen it in person, and let me just tell you that pictures do not convey the sheer size of the Garrett Gt47-88. It's beyond words.

Quick Reply: Exhaust too big?