Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Electric Windows - Dead

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 11:04 PM
zoso_turbo
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Electric Windows - Dead

Ok....Now that I have had the 951 back on the road for two weeks now, it's a good thing my A/C works.

BOTH windows stopped working today. None of the switches are working and the fuse appears to be good. What's the deal??

I did a search on the forum for electric windows and it seems that in this scenario, the switch itself appears to go bad.

As always when I post, I look forward to the feedback from this forum.

zoso_turbo
Old 08-03-2006, 12:01 AM
jacklet
Racer

yeah they do that i prolly got a set somewhere
Old 08-03-2006, 12:17 AM
skene
Burning Brakes

When mine stopped working the switches were fine. The positive wire going to the switch had split where it goes through the accordian thing between the drivers door and the frame.

20 years of bending everytime you open and close the door wears out the wires there pretty well. There's not a lot of space in there to solder up a fix though. I had to take the carpeting out around the trunk release switch and pull out the switch to get enought room to work.
Old 08-03-2006, 12:11 PM
zoso_turbo
Intermediate

Andrew,

Thx for the insight...This is good information and I will check the wires for a short. How would I test the switches?? Or the relay for that matter?

Again...thx for the info.

=dan=
Old 08-03-2006, 12:25 PM
skene
Burning Brakes

I used a volt meter to test the resistance between the pins in the switches. With the switch unplugged I checked to make sure the right pins showed a connection when the switch was pressed.

I was lazy and didn't feel like checking which pin was which, so I just tested pairs until I found a pair that showed a connection when the switch was pressed and not connected when not pressed.

If the wires are broken, the relay won't do anything. I'm not sure how to test just the relay, other then put it in someone's working car and see what happens. If you need one I've got a new one since I thought that was my problem at first.
Old 08-03-2006, 12:30 PM
JBrown
Rennlist Member

Zoso give me a call at my shop and i will tell you some test you can do to see what your problem is. I do not feel like writing a book on here. My name is John, The shop is Sound FX and my number is 845-928-9099. I would bet it is a power problem.
Old 08-07-2006, 12:08 AM
zoso_turbo
Intermediate

Ok......Thx to John (JBrown), here is what I have done thus far to no avail....

1.Checked the fuses, all seem to be good, not blown.
2.Removed the switch from the door, separated the switches, checked for power, and, voila, no power.

Something to make note of here...the realy in the fuse box was way....hot. So I removed the relay until I can figure wht is causing this scenario to happen (car is still driveable, and A/C works, thank goodness.)

Any ideas, or feedback are appreciated.

zoso
Old 08-08-2006, 11:39 AM
JBrown
Rennlist Member

zoso if the fuse is good and you have power there you dont have any shorts. If the relay is hot I would say it is probably no good. Pronge # 30 is the output of the relay. Take your powered test light and put power into slot # 30 on the fuse box were the relay is and have someone try the windows. If they work it is probaly the relay if it doesn't work your problem is after the relay.

Quick Reply: Electric Windows - Dead