Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

evo 9 v 951?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2006, 05:14 AM
silverbullet
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe it's just in the DC/Md area, but I have yet to run across any STI or Evo that has given me problems. Sure they are fast as hell to about 100mph, but after that they seem to really slow down. On a side note a couple guys I know are pulling 11.9-12.5 sec 1/4 mile times with Evos, so they can make great drag cars with a little work....

I would love to get a WRX with the standard body and modify the engine to STI specs. WRXs can look super aggressive in the right colors and sound really mean for a 4banger!
Old 07-29-2006, 07:19 AM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by lart951
LFA951, while you still have some dignity left, just admit you were incorrect. Nothing wrong with making a mistake you are only human after all, but if you let your ego control you I have no other option but to grant you the assclown award grade "A". Dude you dethrone JY951 congrats LFA951 your have earned.
Lart, LFA's comments here were innacurate, but in NO WAY does he dethrone JY! You know that!
Old 07-29-2006, 07:21 AM
special tool
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Eyal 951
Lart, LFA's comments here were innacurate, but in NO WAY does he dethrone JY! You know that!

Dude - go to bed - Jesus Christ.
Old 07-29-2006, 10:08 AM
LFA951
Drifting

Incorrect? How can facts be disputed?
Old 07-29-2006, 12:09 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 87 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Eyal 951

Okay, I screw up JY951 is the indisputable rennlist assclown type A and LFA951 is the assclown type B, I apologize to you LFA here is your award
Attached Images  
Old 07-29-2006, 03:43 PM
BigNNasty
Racer

Originally Posted by silverbullet
I would love to get a WRX with the standard body and modify the engine to STI specs. WRXs can look super aggressive in the right colors and sound really mean for a 4banger!
Couldn't have said it better. My friend has done this with his WRX, just not STi pieces, but other things that amount to more then STi specs. He has silver, so it's not super aggressive, but the 3" Turbo back exhaust sounds like a damn ducati idling. It is a sound I have never heard before, and thats what is nice about the WRXs. Not to mention it's fast as hell. I credit Subaru for making the seats in the WRXs soft, because it intensifies the thrust so much more. You can literally feel your body being pushed into the seat. Making 16lbs of boost, it screams!

Facboy...

Sorry for the sort of hi-jack, but you won't go wrong with a Evo 9 or STi. You'll like it, especially if you get snow!
Old 07-29-2006, 03:46 PM
cantresjr
Addict
Rennlist Member

get the sti, i have a friend who races both 1/4 mile and road racing. she had an sti first that got totalled then she bought an evo mr, wich has given here lots of drive train problems, not as strong as sti's, and she just bought her totalled sti from the insurance to fix. shes getting rid of the evo.
Old 07-29-2006, 06:05 PM
JDeitz951
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Not as pretty as a 951 and looks count for something. Actually, the performance of a 951 is just a bonus to me, I was hooked on the looks long before I learned about the performance. I would never drive an ugly hi-performance Japanese sedan even if it was free. I'd sell it and buy something else.

That said, if your talking daily driver, a 951 makes no sense. But I still wouldn't drive a ugly Jap sedan.
Old 07-29-2006, 08:03 PM
LFA951
Drifting

Originally Posted by JDeitz951
Not as pretty as a 951 and looks count for something. Actually, the performance of a 951 is just a bonus to me, I was hooked on the looks long before I learned about the performance. I would never drive an ugly hi-performance Japanese sedan even if it was free. I'd sell it and buy something else.

That said, if your talking daily driver, a 951 makes no sense. But I still wouldn't drive a ugly Jap sedan.
The 951 has a unique styling and that is why I bought one. The only other car I would trade it for would be a late model Toyota Supra Turbo. I drive a car that only a handful of others (fellow Rennlisters) have and that can outperform most of today's fancy, expensive cars, even at 20 years old. It still amazes me when a new glossy 350Z, Mustang GT, or Mazda RX-8 pull up to me and look over and smile, reving their engine, within a few seconds they see me pull away, and my smile in my rear view mirror. Mine is a weekend car and what I love most is when I go somewhere and someone asks me what car is that? Why should anyone buy a modern Jap car that every teeneager or college kid has? My unique car also makes me look unique, you are what you drive...
Old 07-29-2006, 08:16 PM
BigNNasty
Racer

omg LFA...

Every teenager I know does NOT have an Evo. Evos are about as rare as 944s, to be honest. Hell, I even live next to a huge city of more then half million people. I've seen a total of 3 Evo 8s in my life. I've seen more 944 Turbos then that, and even a Turbo S. I think the rarity is just about the same. Then when you throw the MR in there, thats even rarer. Not every teenager can drop 25k on a car.

The WRX, different story. I know a 17 year old that has one, and I think he has a *sniff sniff* thing happeneing, so he can probably afford that. (btw, this is not the WRX I have been talking about, to let you know.)

It MAY sound as if I'm backing these Evos and STis up, which I am in a way because they are stellar cars and I would give my two left nuts for one! Then again, when it comes to looks; the 944T and S2 take the cake!
Old 07-29-2006, 08:19 PM
ninefiveone
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

"My unique car also makes me look unique... you are what you drive..."

Your car might reflect who you are but if you need a car to make you unique, do you really think that's a great idea? Anyone can buy a 951. The only thing unique about you is you. Your car will never make you any better than anyone else. If you need your car to bolster your self image, there are issues. I'm the same man with or without my cars, or any of my material goods. They reflect my tastes and that is all. Can you say the same?

Originally Posted by LFA951
Incorrect? How can facts be disputed?
Ok. What are your facts? It's clear you feel strongly that you have them but so far I haven't seen anything.

How can you compare the finest German engineering with the cheap Japanese bottom feeding economy crapp?"
The 951 is hardly the finest German engineering. Don't forget the 944 was designed for audi/vw and wasn't seriously raced much at all. Meanwhile Mitsubishi has won several world rallying championships. That would be amongst the most challenging series for engineering a car short of F1.

Evo's are heavy from the 4WD
EVO's weigh 3285lbs. About the same as a 951 or a Cayman, less than a new M3, less than several Ferrari's. So please give some facts on why this weight is worse than the 951's.

...have a high height of 57" (kills aerodynamics)
BMW M5's are 57.8" tall. An Audi A4 is 57" tall. Is there something different about the EVO's 57"s?

...are useless above 100 mph
Would love to see the facts that back that statement up.

...carry 60% of the weight up front.
So does an Audi TT, plenty of BMW's and most Acura's. BTW, all those cars are campaigned in competitve racing (just like as the EVO is) on a regular basis. 50/50 is better but clearly you're bench racing. Not speaking from experience.

...after 50K miles the engines start to rattle and tweak, they are not strong engines after a while...
You base this comment on someone who preps cars for rally racing it appears. I'd love to meet a mechanic in competitive racing who's can put 50K miles on an engine without a rebuild. I could use him.

It's quite clear you base your "facts" on things you read and what other people say out of context. While it's fair to argue that others haven't responded in the most level-headed manner, it's also accurate to say you haven't made either compelling or accurate arguments.

We can flip the argument around if it pleases you. I'm more than happy to lay out the facts for why the 951, while a great car, is neither the finest german engineering nor better than an EVO.

What a pity it would be if the 951 was the finest german engineering. Those folks in stuttgart have really wasted their time with the 993, 996, Boxster, Cayman, Cayenne, and Carrera GT, eh? Nevermind what the fine folks at BMW, Audi, or MBenz have been up to.
Old 07-29-2006, 08:26 PM
LFA951
Drifting

[QUOTE=ninefiveone]"My unique car also makes me look unique... you are what you drive..."

Your car might reflect who you are but if you need a car to make you unique, do you really think that's a great idea? Anyone can buy a 951. The only thing unique about you is you. Your car will never make you any better than anyone else. If you need your car to bolster your self image, there are issues. I'm the same man with or without my cars, or any of my material goods. They reflect my tastes and that is all. Can you say the same?

Ok Dr. Phil, reality check here, just like the way you dress makes a statement about you, the same goes for what you drive, if you see someone driving a POS that tells you a lot of that person and how they feel about themselves and their image. In this country everything is all about image and looks so don't try to deny the obvious. I don't know what neck of the woods you live in or even if it's near civilization, but here in sunny south Florida, home of Miami Vice, there are a lot of Evo's AND Sti's around, mostly driven by youngsters, I have yet to see someone over 30 driving one...
Old 07-29-2006, 08:35 PM
420WHP944
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I'll say it again...

YES the evo and sti are great rally cars, no disputing that.

They are damn ugly and I just wonder if we will see 20+ year old sti + evo's in the future? I doubt it somehow.
Old 07-29-2006, 08:35 PM
LFA951
Drifting

"We can flip the argument around if it pleases you. I'm more than happy to lay out the facts for why the 951, while a great car, is neither the finest german engineering nor better than an EVO."

"What a pity it would be if the 951 was the finest german engineering. Those folks in stuttgart have really wasted their time with the 993, 996, Boxster, Cayman, Cayenne, and Carrera GT, eh? Nevermind what the fine folks at BMW, Audi, or MBenz have been up to.[/QUOTE]

Look Danielson, what other car in 1986 could produce 217 hp from a 2.5?? were you even born then? From this last quote I can see that you clearly don't know SH!@#$% about Porsche or their history. The only reason why they phased out the 944 series is that it outpreformed their more expensive cars bot hin handling and in acceleration. Tehy would have lost money if they sold more 944's than 911's or 928's for that matter. That is why they got rid of their bottom end line and that is why they no longer make 4 cylinder engines, so go read about Porsche some more, every true enthusiast here knows that

"EVO's weigh 3285lbs. About the same as a 951 or a Cayman, less than a new M3, less than several Ferrari's. So please give some facts on why this weight is worse than the 951's.""""

The curb weight of the '86 951 was 2899, and of the '89 was 2998, so once again you are off, and even if it was say 3,085 lbs, it's still 200 lbs. lighter and that makes a Big difference!!
Old 07-29-2006, 08:56 PM
turbo8
Pro

i was going to get an Sti or evo,but so many people have them here and the majority of them all use them for street racing, and thats why they buy them to beat other cars on the street. if i ever owned one it would have dirt tires on it, seriously! anyway i chose the 951 for looks and decent speed.
i might pick up a used evo sti or wrx someday. i like rally cars and all cars in general!

Quick Reply: evo 9 v 951?