944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

evo 9 v 951?

Old 07-28-2006, 09:13 PM
BigNNasty
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You missed the other thread, or maybe tis on the first page of this one.

Tons of room
Reliable
All Wheel
Fast
Good Looks (keep opinions to yourself)
Can't beat the sound of the Suby H4!

I however don't have the dough for the Suby/Mitsu and want a 944, and have for the past year.

Every man has a car that he wants really bad, but there are some cars he would like to have more. In my case I want the 944T as I'm ready for what it has to brings, but if the opportunity swung my way for a suby/mistu I would jump on it. I'll have a 944 in my life, just because IMO it is one of the best looking cars out there, plus it's fast (I'm not talking of 100mph+ speeds LFA951!).

Don't get me wrong, the 944s are nice, but you can NOT beat 4drs, 4wd, and room!
Old 07-28-2006, 10:39 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 87 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by BigNNasty
I'll have a 944 in my life, just because IMO it is one of the best looking cars out there,
That sums it all, they are not the fastest nor they are reliable as the japs, but they are beautiful
Old 07-29-2006, 12:22 AM
911T
Instructor

I love Porsche's with all my heart, but this is just nuts.

http://media.ams-evo8.com/videos/flo...oridaTurbo.wmv
Old 07-29-2006, 12:35 AM
gmsracing
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I chose the STi over the Evo because I wanted to use it as a daily car. The increased torque is awsome from stops and from pulling out of corners. I actually like the looks of the Evo better, but the Suby was a better overall value as a daily car. The AWD is great too. I can pretty much put the power down when ever and where ever I want to. The Suby has a much better reliability record too. I have 12k on it and I literally beat the hell out of it every day!

I drove my 951 to work today and although I really enjoy the car it just isn't in it's zone until about 90 mph. The STi is incredibly fun blasting in and out of corners and it pulls like a train through 5th gear.

I'd say the STi is quicker to about 120 and then the 951 will start pulling it in. I raced an STi once with my 951. It was a left handed corner leading onto the freeway. He put the power down through the corner and took off. I had to feather the throttle through the corner and try and run him down... I didn't start to catch him until I was up to 135. My 951 just has APE II chips & banjo bolt.

Go test drive both and see which one you like more!
Old 07-29-2006, 01:23 AM
LFA951
Drifting

If you must know, my cousin prepped cars for the Caminos del inca Rally in Peru, and his last car was the Japanese (more power), not american version of the Evo and he said that after 50,000 miles the engine starts to get loose everywhere and that it is too much power for a 2 liter. So stop reading magazines and talk to the real people who own them and more importantly who work on them. Yea, they are great new, but who here has one over 50K? You all think an engine is going to hold up with 19lbs of boost constantly being stepped on? Wake up. And the 951 is 50.2 inches tall, not 52 so get your specs straight. I drove 2 Evo's and they don't compare to the 951. You don't get thrown back in your seat cause there is no turbo lag, it nowhere near as fun. I thought I was in an SUV since it's so high and you really have to step on the breaks since their response is slow, no comparison, I was looking at one, if I were to get a Jap car the only one would be the Supra turbo, the King of road races nationwide, a true in line 3 liter 6 cylinder 24 valve engine that has tons of potential for over 1,200 Hp....
Old 07-29-2006, 01:37 AM
LFA951
Drifting

Originally Posted by jacklet
it took a 3rd gen mits motor to get it right-they got the motor bugs worked out of it and they are quick when worked but they are in no way solid who in their right mind would compare an evo to a 951 you got a 15-20 yr technology gap just to start? plus it's a ricer econo box with awd and a turbo and trust me when i say they're not solid i fixed a few in light wrecks and the uni-body in these cars flex alot.
Thank you, no matter what you put on it or wanna say about it, it's a rice rocket period...
Old 07-29-2006, 01:47 AM
LFA951
Drifting

"Last time I checked, the highest U.S. speed limit is 70 mph. You my friend, need to sell your 951, buy a ford; and wrap IT around a pole...and then learn your lesson by "walking" away with a severe injury!"

We all know how any true Porsche enthusiast here feels about the speed limit here (F!@#$^% it)

"I'm not all for the little Jap craze going on, but give credit where due. I have heard of many of these motors with 200K+ on them. There is even a guy here on rennlist that SWEARS by the motor in his Talon/eclipse rally car."

Exactly, you have heard, not seen, stop hearing and start seeing and believing

"I would take an Evo 8 or STi ANY DAY of the week over even a 944TS. Don't get me wrong, I want a 944T bad, but I'm off to college in 2 years and need something to last me, not break me! [/QUOTE]"

You're not even in college yet? Did you just get your license? If you're off to college in two years that would make you 15 or 16, I've been driving since before you were born, and you don't even have a 951 so join a ricer thread...
Old 07-29-2006, 01:58 AM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LFA951
What are you talking about? How can you compare the finest German engineering with the cheap Japanese bottom feeding economy crapp? Evo's are heavy from the 4WD, have a high height of 57" (kills aerodynamics), are useless above 100 mph and carry 60% of the weight up front. Cosmetically they are better looking than the Subaru Sti, but still, after 50K miles the engines start to rattle and tweak, they are not strong engines after a while...
umm let me be the first(i hope) to point out you have no idea what your talking about
Old 07-29-2006, 02:00 AM
porshhhh951
Lifetime Rennlist

If you must know, my cousin prepped cars for the Caminos del inca Rally in Peru, and his last car was the Japanese (more power), not american version of the Evo and he said that after 50,000 miles the engine starts to get loose everywhere and that it is too much power for a 2 liter. So stop reading magazines and talk to the real people who own them and more importantly who work on them. Yea, they are great new, but who here has one over 50K? You all think an engine is going to hold up with 19lbs of boost constantly being stepped on? Wake up. And the 951 is 50.2 inches tall, not 52 so get your specs straight. I drove 2 Evo's and they don't compare to the 951. You don't get thrown back in your seat cause there is no turbo lag, it nowhere near as fun. I thought I was in an SUV since it's so high and you really have to step on the breaks since their response is slow, no comparison, I was looking at one, if I were to get a Jap car the only one would be the Supra turbo, the King of road races nationwide, a true in line 3 liter 6 cylinder 24 valve engine that has tons of potential for over 1,200 Hp....
i've got a dozen friends that run them in all states of tune. No known common problems and some of these guys are pushing 500hp on 50-70k clocks. Thanks come again
Old 07-29-2006, 02:02 AM
porshhhh951
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by 911T
I love Porsche's with all my heart, but this is just nuts.

http://media.ams-evo8.com/videos/flo...oridaTurbo.wmv
1042whp
Old 07-29-2006, 02:26 AM
BigNNasty
Racer

Lets see. A guy here in town just sold his Evo 8 that was pushing around 340-360 wheel horse, with a mid to high 3's 0-60...are there 951s doing that?

There is a white MR here in town. You even know what that stands for? Well, the MR comes with brembos stock, so brake problems are solved, umm they have these things now-a-days called coil overs, they lower your car!

I think you need to know YOUR ****, before you diss ANY car. I reside by KC, so there are a lot of fast cars around. Evos aren't dime a dozen. O, and to clear things up...the guy that drives the MR does wear hats, is 25 and probably knows more then your could ever dream of. I'm sure he isn't too worried about aerodynamics at 100 plus. Just because a car can't go much over 130-140 doesn't mean it's not fast. See, low top end means fast as hell off the line. High top end means slow as hell off the line. See the correlation going on there? 951s have a higher top speed no doubt, but stock vs. stock the Evo is going to destroy the 951 off the line. Hell, even a WRX can hang with if not pull a 951 to 60. I may be young, but that doesn't mean I can't be more knowledgeable. I've been into Porsches since I could say the word. Age is nothing but a number, you seem to not realize that.

What else?

951s ARE 52" tall from factory stock as they were. There is this thing called tire size. It will make a difference. Get the factory Pirellis ordered on your 951, and it is going to be 52" give or take half an inch...

Moving on...

...I drove 2 Evo's and they don't compare to the 951. You don't get thrown back in your seat cause there is no turbo lag, it nowhere near as fun...
I think your the first, and last person to ever be happy with turbo lag. No fun? I would rather have a car that spools faster. I'd rather be faster then "more fun". Hell, my truck is fun to jump, but it would be awesome if it was a total sleeper (fast)...

All in all...I would quit bickering with people if I was you. I would love to be the bigger man here and leave, but your stupidity forces me not to...

You say something back, expect something back from me ...
Old 07-29-2006, 02:36 AM
Ian Carr
That Guy
Rennlist Member

lfa951 you are a moron.. you think because you know one person who beats the shh out of their evo that you think they ALL start to make noises after 50k miles.... oooook buddy

let me tell you about the ONE person i know with an evo... its lowered, chipped, exhaust, along with other things and he autocross's it AND tracks it. Only thing wrong he has had after 50ka miles is the skid plate underneath started to creak and guess what.. it was under warranty! YOU need to get your facts straight and START reading magazines apparently.

Also i would take an evo9 over the new sti's imo. The new sti's look like the b9 tribeca... and if you like that car well i dont know what to say to you. plus the new evos vs new sti's tested in road and track the evo was better in:
0-60 by 5 seconds
0-100 by 4 seconds
60-0 by almost 20 feet
1/4 miles by 5 seconds
skip pad my .1 g (not really a difference).

BUT the new evo's come with a variable center differential along with dual limited slips making it a true 4wd vehicle. 280+ hp with a Warranty along with being able to corner, and brake... you can hate all you want the fact is that lancer evolutions and wrx sti's are amazing vehicles right out of the box and to compare it to a 20 year sports car designed by porsche? you can try all you want and given credit to porsche because of the fact that they built a car that 20 years later can stay with the extremes sports cars of today! well hats off to them but you still cant hide the fact that newer cars are just... better in some ways :-/
Old 07-29-2006, 02:43 AM
BigNNasty
Racer

Originally Posted by TurboX

plus the new evos vs new sti's tested in road and track the evo was better in:
0-60 by 5 seconds
0-100 by 4 seconds
60-0 by almost 20 feet
1/4 miles by 5 seconds
skip pad my .1 g (not really a difference).

BUT the new evo's come with a variable center differential along with dual limited slips making it a true 4wd vehicle. 280+ hp with a Warranty along with being able to corner, and brake... you can hate all you want the fact is that lancer evolutions and wrx sti's are amazing vehicles right out of the box and to compare it to a 20 year sports car designed by porsche? you can try all you want and given credit to porsche because of the fact that they built a car that 20 years later can stay with the extremes sports cars of today! well hats off to them but you still cant hide the fact that newer cars are just... better in some ways :-/
I hope you mean .5 seconds and .4 seconds and what not!

286HP, a warranty, 4drs, comfort, AWD, and fast...thats a bargain! Plus the gas mileage!

Plus, IF you can afford a new STi or Evo now, then 50k miles you can trade it in on a new Evo X or STi!

Note: The Evo X is not a real car. Evo's are done, but are being revitalized into a differently named car. However that works...

O yea, AMEN to TurboX!
Old 07-29-2006, 02:49 AM
Ian Carr
That Guy
Rennlist Member

o yeah thats what i ment.. sorry its late... either way :-/
Old 07-29-2006, 02:52 AM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 87 Likes on 50 Posts

LFA951, while you still have some dignity left, just admit you were incorrect. Nothing wrong with making a mistake you are only human after all, but if you let your ego control you I have no other option but to grant you the assclown award grade "A". Dude you dethrone JY951 congrats LFA951 your have earned.
Attached Images  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: evo 9 v 951?