Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Leaking LR Fuel Rail (Update. Prob solved!)

Old 07-12-2006, 08:10 AM
951Porschiste
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Leaking LR Fuel Rail (Update. Prob solved!)

I recently finished installing my LR fuel rail. Unfortunately it keeps leaking from the front part. I've removed the rail at least five times (I can probably uninstall and install back up in under 10 minutes now!) to retighten the nut. After installing the fuel rail I always test fuel flow and check for leaks by jumpering at the DME relay plug. I don't get leaks. Then I start the engine and I still don't get leaks at idle. However, if I take out for a short spin around the block, then I get a very tiny, but steady (more like a thin film of fuel), leak at the front nut. Last two times I removed the fuel rail, I put it in a bench vise and using a hammer to a 19mm wrench I was able to screw in the nut by maybe an eight of a turn.

As you can see in the picture the nut does not completely seat against the body of the fuel rail. Is this normal? Would it be possible to have it weld into place? Any other suggestions?

Last edited by 951Porschiste; 07-13-2006 at 07:52 AM.
Old 07-12-2006, 08:49 AM
OriginalSterm
Race Car

I had a leak there as well. I used a little Teflon tape on that part and have had no leaks since then. The guy who installed it originally used pipe dope and the fuel just dissolved that and it started to leak. Not to mention the pipe dope ended up in the filter on one of the injectors.
Old 07-12-2006, 08:51 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Arrrgh….a bench vise and a hammer on an AN fitting?

Use Teflon tape on the threads. Standard plumbing stuff. Works fine. No hammers…

Chris White
Old 07-12-2006, 09:05 AM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wonder if you've actually buggered the threads while working on it.

I personally am not a fan of basic teflon with gas - however, you can find sealants that will work with gas such as Gasoila, which is what all service companies use that put in gas pumps. Look at the next nozzle you get when you pump gas to your car, where the hose and nozzle meet - Gasoila. It looks like liquid teflon, with a slight grey tint and works great with any fuel, including JP4 and JP5 jet fuel.

http://www.gasoila.com/index.php?pat...gasSoftset.htm
Old 07-12-2006, 09:17 AM
951Porschiste
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys!
Old 07-12-2006, 10:35 AM
skene
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I picked up some yellow double thickness teflon tape that says "for gas" on it. I'm thinking it probably meant natural gas, but it worked great to stop the leak I had when putting on my fuel filter.
Old 07-12-2006, 03:30 PM
cpt_koolbeenz
Drifting

I would worry about teflon bits getting in the system... Use a liquid. Loctite makes some really good stuff! I have also heard of Gasoila like Bret said... good stuff as well
Old 07-12-2006, 04:20 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Bret
Which Gasola product are referring too. I did a google and came up with these products.

http://www.gsasupplyco.com/index.html
Old 07-12-2006, 05:02 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the soft set stuff, it still gets very stiff but does not harden completely. My wifes family owns around 180 C stores. I'm still certified on Gilbarco pumps, as I used to help out on maintenance on my time off but it got to be to much of a pain - I'd be in the boat in the slalom course and my cell phone would ring. Needless to say that didn't last long gotta water ski.

http://www.gasoila.com/index.php?pat...gasSoftset.htm
Old 07-12-2006, 10:22 PM
ian kam
Racer

mine leaked also I also put some thread treatment(tape)and just kept tightening it. I wish they would have sent it together and tested for leaks.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:26 PM
PCinDC
Rennlist Lifetime Member
Lifetime Rennlist

Wow, they make AN wrenches so you don't do that to your fittings. Did you spray paint your fuel rail?
Old 07-13-2006, 08:06 AM
951Porschiste
Addict
Rennlist Member

Update:

I got some pipe thread sealant from the hardware store yesterday. I removed the fuel rail (yet again!). Got the rail on the bench vise, removed the fitting with a 19 mm wrench. Cleaned the male threads on the fitting and also the female threads on the fuel rail. Applied the sealant and screwed the fitting back on.

One thing I noticed is that this product not only seals very well but it also acts as a lubricant. That made screwing the fitting back on much easier (i.e. I did not have to use a hammer!).

I reassembled the fuel rail to the intake manifold, tested for leaks and did not get any. I turned on the engine, still no leaks. I went for a 15 minute road test, still no leaks. Hurray!

Thanks to all those who offered advice.

I don't understand why that fitting is not pre-assembled and tested by LR before they ship them out though.

Originally Posted by 944 Fanatic
Wow, they make AN wrenches so you don't do that to your fittings. Did you spray paint your fuel rail?
Thanks for the tip on AN wrenches.

Yes I did spray paint my fuel rail. As you can see in the pictures, I did not do a very good job, cause the paint flakes off easily (all that leaking fuel will wreck havoc on paint). My initial intent was to paint the fuel rail because that blue color was a little too conspicuous for me and I also did not want the Lindsey Racing script to be apparent. So I only sanded down the area with the script. I should have sanded all of the rail and then applied a primer instead of directly spraying the paint onto the rail.

I plan to redo the paint. I'll strip the remainder of the paint, then I'll apply a coat of aluminum primer, followed by a new coat of black paint.

Last edited by 951Porschiste; 07-13-2006 at 08:54 AM.
Old 07-13-2006, 12:14 PM
35thSLP
Burning Brakes

If you are going to that much trouble why not just have in anodized black. That would look pretty good!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Leaking LR Fuel Rail (Update. Prob solved!)