Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Tire Recommendations Please

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 01:44 PM
LFA951
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Read the reviews and the roadtests and the Hankook Ventus RS-2 Z212 and then eat your words...
Old 07-10-2006, 01:50 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by LFA951
Read the reviews and the roadtests and the Hankook Ventus RS-2 Z212 and then eat your words...
Cheery words... Go back and read the reviews from 1986 comparing the C4 Corvette to the 951. The corvette won almost every comparison. What does that mean. Nothing.

The personal experiences of those on this board carry more weight than a review with a magazine.

I'd still like to know who you buy your tires from.
Old 07-10-2006, 01:51 PM
OriginalSterm
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those Hankooks came on my wife's '95 M3 and they seem to be holding up fine through 4 track days and 4 autox's. Not as much grip as the Yoko ES100s on my 951, but the wear is a lot better.
Old 07-10-2006, 01:53 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by OriginalSterm
Those Hankooks came on my wife's '95 M3 and they seem to be holding up fine through 4 track days and 4 autox's. Not as much grip as the Yoko ES100s on my 951, but the wear is a lot better.

Excellent response... LFA, take notes.
Old 07-10-2006, 02:52 PM
LFA951
Drifting

Originally Posted by OriginalSterm
Impossible, the Ventus RS-2 Z212 came out the end of last year, they are a new model racing design for street use, so you are referring to another model Ventus, maybe the Sport K104, there are several, the newest one is the Evo, check out their website to educate yourself a little better...
Old 07-10-2006, 02:54 PM
LFA951
Drifting

Originally Posted by streckfu's951
Cheery words... Go back and read the reviews from 1986 comparing the C4 Corvette to the 951. The corvette won almost every comparison. What does that mean. Nothing.

The personal experiences of those on this board carry more weight than a review with a magazine.

I'd still like to know who you buy your tires from.
Nonsense, the 944 turbo although having half the size engine, surely beat the Corvette including in the 0-60 times, so check yourself before you riggidy wreck yourself, another fine example of tasteless design, the Corvette, naturally an American Magazine is going to favor their American Prize car...Ok ,who's next??
Old 07-10-2006, 03:10 PM
OriginalSterm
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Impossible, the Ventus RS-2 Z212 came out the end of last year, they are a new model racing design for street use, so you are referring to another model Ventus, maybe the Sport K104, there are several, the newest one is the Evo, check out their website to educate yourself a little better...
Possble, as I did not buy the tires, just the car. The tread patterns looked very similar.

However, I'd trust a tire guy as far as I could throw him. I'd trust somone with experience on a similar car (whoever that may be) much more. If you have personal experience with Hankooks, that's a different story. If you have experience with Fuzions, that's a different story. If you read a review, that is worthless.

Someone recommended Hawk HPS brake pads for me to try on the track, they saw a good review on tirerack for a totally different car and application. Guess what, the review they saw was totally inappropriate for my car in my application. They were awful brake pads and I will never try them again. I still see glowing reviews of these pads though.
Old 07-10-2006, 03:12 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 105 Posts

No one is really slamming your choice in tires. The reviews are good and the price is good. What irritates people are your blanket negative statements about a tire that you have never personally used and others have had good results with. Tone it down a bit and maybe you would get better responses than you've gotten.

Fuzions are cheap tires my tire guy says, the Hankooks are better and cost less...
Hankooks are better...Fuzions are ok for Mustangs, but for a Porsche??
That is the sidewall in question, isn't it crappy loooking?
...those who pay greater attention to detail naturally have higher standards...
The Fuzion goes well on the Mustang cause it is much like the Mustang design, dull and plain, ......tasteless...
....Impossible, the Ventus RS-2 Z212 came out the end of last year, they are a new model racing design for street use, so you are referring to another model Ventus, maybe the Sport K104....
Maybe you should read the following review (page 5/16), the tire was tested in last August against a few other softer tires. The results placed it in the 'middle' for performance but there are a few drivers commments that weren't too flattering about it's quirky characteristics. I'm sure the Hankooks are a good tire and you get what you pay for, just don't slam another tire with a good history and expect to walk away unscathed

http://www.grassrootsmotorsports.com...5_tiretest.pdf

Originally Posted by better tire raters than you
Hankook Ventus R-S2 Z212
Price Each: $130 (unshaved)
The Hankook Ventus R-S2 Z212 is the company’s first real stab at the Street Touring market. The earlier Ventus Sport K104 was a decent tire, but it failed to set the world on fire. Hankook didn’t waste much time in producing something new.
Hankook’s engineers and product plan¬ners have been listening, and returned with a rock-solid performance tire that blends on-track performance and street usability into an inexpensive package. They freely admit that they compete heavily against fellow Korean tire giant Kumho, and it’s pretty obvious that the Hankook engineers had their sights set on the Kumho ECSTA MX when designing the Ventus R-S2 Z212.
The Ventus R-S2 Z212 was the third tire that we tested and it finished up in a solid mid-pack fourth place, a few tenths behind the Yokohama Advan Neova and slightly ahead of the Kumho ECSTA MX.
The Hankook was designed primarily as a high-performance street tire, not a track tire, and as such the tread design and performance characteristics play that out. The tire has a good initial steering response, but it’s not linear. We felt that the tire was quick to turn in with the first few degrees of steering input, but things quickly became mushy as large steering inputs were needed to get through the tighter transitions. “Even with the non-linear¬ity of steering inputs, the transition grip was very good, making it easy to place the car in slaloms,” said Chris Harvey.
We were surprised to find that the Hankook had the worst grip during acceleration and brak¬ing. Like its lateral (or side-to-side) grip, the longitudinal traction was hampered by the large amounts of void area and consequently precious little tread touching the track surface. This led to quite a bit of chatter from the ABS system during braking and even some wheelspin from this LSD-equipped Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V. Even at the shaved depth of 4/32 inch, the Hankook still looked like a rain-capable street tire when compared to the other fast players.
The Hankook didn’t give the best feedback during steady-state cornering, and the tire quickly lost grip as it was pushed over the edge of adhesion. This made cornering on the skid¬pad a little dicey—and the times suffered.
Accelerating out of the skid pad was where the longitudinal grip, or lack thereof, really hurt the tire, as this pushed the car wide. As a result, speed down the following straight suffered. This was only made worse when the Hankook overheated near the end of each run, requiring considerable cooling between stints.
Both drivers came to the final conclusion that the Hankook Ventus R-S2 Z212 was a great carcass in search of a different tread design, one with less void area for more dry grip. The Hankook exhibited some wear during the test¬ing, and it’s pretty clear that their engineers were certainly going with a softer compound. Our recommendation? Please give us more of that tread compound by reducing the void area. Hankook will be offering contingency money for top finishers at SCCA National Tours, ProSolos and the national championships

Last edited by KuHL 951; 07-10-2006 at 03:32 PM.
Old 07-10-2006, 03:22 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Nonsense, the 944 turbo although having half the size engine, surely beat the Corvette including in the 0-60 times, so check yourself before you riggidy wreck yourself, another fine example of tasteless design, the Corvette, naturally an American Magazine is going to favor their American Prize car...Ok ,who's next??
Now you've proven yourself an idiot.

November 1985 Road and Track. Check your riggedy wrecked self.

naturally an American Magazine is going to favor their American Prize car
Apply that sensibility to your tire salesman who doesn't carry Bridgestone tires or why wouldn't an American car magazine pick American tires first? That means Firestone would win every time. But wait, Firestone owns Bridgestone which makes Fuzion....Ohh, what to do...

Last edited by streckfu's951; 07-10-2006 at 03:45 PM.
Old 07-10-2006, 03:27 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by Ski
back on track Tom, Goodyear F1 DS G3 ( I hope I didn't get the D and G mixed up). Quiet, great sidewall, and treadwear. I've got em, Jim just put a set on his red car, brother-n-law bought em too.
Those were my first choice, but I will be putting them on 16 inch phone dials, but the size selection is a bit limited for 16 inch rims -- I'd have to use stock sizes, or at best go to 245/50's in the rear and maybe 225/50 in front.
Old 07-10-2006, 04:16 PM
LFA951
Drifting

Apply that sensibility to your tire salesman who doesn't carry Bridgestone tires or why wouldn't an American car magazine pick American tires first? That means Firestone would win every time. But wait, Firestone owns Bridgestone which makes Fuzion....Ohh, what to do... [/QUOTE]

How can you compare American white trash to German engineering? FYI, the tire guy sells all brands. FYI, Bridgestone bought the company that makes the Fuzions overseas in Japan, no Bridgestone technology in the tire, it's their generic off brand...
Old 07-10-2006, 04:19 PM
LFA951
Drifting

http://www.grassrootsmotorsports.com/images/samples/august_100_115_tiretest.pdf[/url][/QUOTE]

I rest my case, the tire beat the Kumho Ecsta MX (which is better than the Fuzion ZRi) and was right behind the Advan Neova, and the test was done on a front wheel drive Sentra with 60% of the weight up front, how genius of you...$130 a tire?? I paid $326 for all four :>
Old 07-10-2006, 04:24 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

How can you compare American white trash to German engineering?

I can see you back that up by using the excellent Conti-Sport tires on your fine German car....

I rest my case, the tire beat the Kumho Ecsta MX (which is better than the Fuzion ZRi)
Fuzions were not included in the test. Your assertion is bunk.

How much track time do you have on your Hancooks?
Old 07-10-2006, 04:30 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 105 Posts

http://www.grassrootsmotorsports.com/images/samples/august_100_115_tiretest.pdf[/url]
Originally Posted by Tire God
I rest my case, the tire beat the Kumho Ecsta MX (which is better than the Fuzion ZRi) and was right behind the Advan Neova, and the test was done on a front wheel drive Sentra with 60% of the weight up front, how genius of you...$130 a tire?? I paid $326 for all four :>
How old are you anyway? I'd guess 21 going on 12. Face it, you'll never rest your case until everyone on Rennlist agrees that you are all knowing and have the shiniest nicest tires in the World and the rest of us are all ignorant. Grow up will ya...you're a real work of art today
Old 07-10-2006, 04:33 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Tom,
Unless you need more info, would you be willing to close this thread and let it die?

Quick Reply: Tire Recommendations Please