Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Tire Recommendations Please

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2006, 07:44 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by LFA951
...Fuzions are ok for Mustangs, but for a Porsche??
Apparently, many people here don't think that way having driven on the Fuzions with great success. That should carry more weight than a tire salesman (does he carry Fuzions as well?).

What is the basis of your opinion that the Fuzion is a Mustang tire?
Old 07-09-2006, 07:47 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I had yoko 100's, i thought the grip wet or dry was pretty good for the money, but the tires had a tendancy to wear unevenly. Had kumho supras, and those were good when it was dry out, but once they even looked at a puddle of water, the car was all over the place. Currently have Toyo RA1's now, and love them. I have trouble breaking them loose even in the rain.
Old 07-09-2006, 08:13 PM
EdC
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am completely satisfied with my Fuzions, which are made by Bridgestone. They have all the traction my chipped 951S needs for the street, wet or dry. They are quiet, good in the wet, and wearing evenly well too (15 months and 13k miles). Replacements will be Fuzions, unless my usage changes. Maybe I'm too old to understand but deciding on a tire by the look of its black sidewalls seems silly. I'm more interested on how well and long they perform without breaking the budget. Buy what turns you on, but I'd rather not waste my money on more tire than I'll use on the street.
Old 07-09-2006, 08:29 PM
OriginalSterm
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a set of Kumho Supras on my car for a little over 5000 miles and one track event. terrible tire. They now sit in my garage as a full set of spare tires should i have a problem with the yoko es100s i have on the car now. after 6 days of track driving and about 10k miles i can say they were well worth the money.
Old 07-09-2006, 10:08 PM
LFA951
Drifting

Originally Posted by mein51
I've been running the Kumho SPTs for about 6 months now and really like them. I think they're out to replace the Supras. I was a little reluctant to try them after having a set of Supras a few years ago (worst tire ever!), but I was pleasently suprised. They're really quiet on the highway, kick major butt in the rain, and hold up fairly well at the track (as much as anyone would expect a street tire should). For the money, I don't think you can beat them.
But if cost is no object - go for a set of Pilot Sports for sure! They have great traction (both wet and dry) and treadlife is fairly good also.
I was going to get the Kumho SPT's, but unfortunately they do not make a 245/45-16, so I went with the Hankooks. My brother had some Ecsta Supras on his Clk 320 and yes, they do suck, the middle sunk. I see no one here has mentioned anything about my comment on the horrific and hideous sidewall on the Fuzion, that is undisputed...
Old 07-09-2006, 10:19 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

I been using Fuzion ZRi for the tires I drive to the track with. So far they have been quiet and have good grip. I even switched out the track tire during a rainy day and used the Fuzion since they have better wet grip.
Old 07-09-2006, 10:20 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I was going to get the Kumho SPT's, but unfortunately they do not make a 245/45-16, so I went with the Hankooks. My brother had some Ecsta Supras on his Clk 320 and yes, they do suck, the middle sunk. I see no one here has mentioned anything about my comment on the horrific and hideous sidewall on the Fuzion, that is undisputed...
Because men don't give a crap about how purty our sidewalls are. We care about performance. How high you are forced to hike your skirt up in order for you to see your sidewalls is not important to us. We are wearing trousers.
Undisputed by whom?
Old 07-09-2006, 10:35 PM
RKD in OKC
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Had Bridgetone Pole Positions, was very satisfied with them. Wet grip was amazing.

Had Pireli P Zero Neros on a BoxsterS they were good wet and dry and lasted a very long time.

Had some Yoko Sports, on both a 928 and my 944 Turbo hated them. Sidewalls were so soft I could enduce understeer at 60 mph by turning the steering wheel and stay in my lane. I played boy drifter at local autocrosses just to wear them doen enough to get rid of them.

Had Fuzions on my 944 Turbo when I got it. They were not the best at putting down 350 rwhp, and are pretty heavy for tires.

Currently have Michelin Pilot Sports, very satisfied. Good wet and dry taction.

I usually run into good tire deals on dealer take offs and that's what I run. Especially since I go thru tires about every 6000 miles.

If I were going to buy new, I would go with Toyo RA1.

Just on man's opinion.
Old 07-09-2006, 10:39 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

I've also noticed there are limited options for our old 16 inch wheels. Are the Hankooks reasonably quiet on the freeway?
Old 07-09-2006, 10:40 PM
EdC
Pro

Above I called your concern about BLACK sidewall appearance silly. When moving any black sidewall looks the same to me. When stationary and I am more than a few feet away all black sidewalls still look the same to me. I've never had anyone cringe or cover their baby's eyes when I drove by or parked. Nonetheless upon close inspection I find nothing objectionable about the appearance of the Fuzion sidewall. Just what do you find makes Fuzion sidewalls horrific and hideous? So what in your judgment is a good looking sidewall? Why?

As in life, many times the prettiest one doesn't offer a more satisying pleasurable experience.
Old 07-09-2006, 11:00 PM
OriginalSterm
Race Car

Originally Posted by EdC
As in life, many times the prettiest one doesn't offer a more satisying pleasurable experience.
you must be a 315er Ed, that quote applies to MANY things over there.

it's ok though, i was born and raised a 315er myself...
Old 07-09-2006, 11:11 PM
LFA951
Drifting

Originally Posted by ehall
Because men don't give a crap about how purty our sidewalls are. We care about performance. How high you are forced to hike your skirt up in order for you to see your sidewalls is not important to us. We are wearing trousers.
Undisputed by whom?
Ok, then what's the point of having nice wheels and adding tire shine to a plain and dull looking sidewall? The Kumho's have a nice sidewall, so do the Potenza's and Michelin, why doesn't the Fuzion? Why? Because they obviously did not take the time or effort to design it, cause it just wasnt' worth it. You obviously don't care much for looks if you are only concerned with "preformance". On the track, yea sidewalls may not matter, but as I see it, this person is looking for street tires, and yes people do look at the tires and the wheels when you are stopped at a light, unless they don't care for appearance like yourself. Why settle for just performance when you can have both performance and looks?? Sidewalls go with the appearance of the car, as do the rims, sound like you don't do much detailing...
Old 07-09-2006, 11:14 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

Yes, I am looking for street tires -- sticky, quiet, street tires. Is this the sidewall in question? Is it uglier in person?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/BigPic...&tireModel=ZRi
Old 07-09-2006, 11:17 PM
LFA951
Drifting

That is the sidewall in question, isn't it crappy loooking? Compare it with the SPT and you'll see what I'm talking about, picture it on a 944 turbo, which would look better??
Old 07-09-2006, 11:59 PM
EdC
Pro

Again what makes one BLACK sidewall prettier than another? Educate me so that I may learn to appreciate the differences.

Quick Reply: Tire Recommendations Please