Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Help-Clutch pedal to floor & brake fluid leaking

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2006, 01:05 AM
superloaf
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

well, here lies the problem: i have a backyard which is fenced and great place for working on my cars. only problem is that i bought an alfa romeo milano which i'm in the process of replacing the engine. pretty much right in the middle of it all with old engine out and new engine waiting to be installed (of course now new enine needs head gaskets first but that's another story.) just pulled off my first alfa V6 head--that engine is a work of art & similar to 944 with aluminum liners but also has hemispheric heads.

so i don't really have the room to put the 951 back there. plus, street cleaning isn't due until next wed so that's good, i suppose.

and i already pushed car a few blocks and then the road to my house goes slightly uphill with speed bumps so i thought i'd better take the easy approach and push my car into a free spot and count my losses!

so if you see someone in LA struggling under a car this weekend with superblue all over his shirt, that's probably me.

happy 4th everyone!
Old 07-04-2006, 01:56 AM
superloaf
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by KuHL 951
I always felt the clutch was almost too easy to pish on both cars. The pedal assist or 'feel' can be adjusted by the big spring set at the top of the pedal, not the return spring at the very top. The only other adjustment is the freeplay in the pedal and that's done at the rod-to- the master cylinder also at the back of the pedal. Try to get about 1/8" freeplay before you can feel some resistance. The adjustment is sort of subjective, some people can't feel the point where resistance start on the pedal at all. Remember it's better to have some freeplay than none, no freeplay can wear the disc out pretty quick.
well, i've learned a few things about my clutch since i've had this problem. first, someone was complaining about the slave cylinder failing often but in my case the problem is strictly the hose going from the master cylinder to the slave. so an easy $20-$40 and problem solved, that is if i can find it. no one local seems to have it but i guess dealers can get it in a few days.

also, apparently porsche had 2 springs which counter the tension of the clutch pedal. the first one is green and then they stiffened it to provide an easier clutch and those are blue. my car has a green spring so i guess i can ease my clutch effort by replacing the spring. but if you have the blue and want a stiffer clutch you're out of luck as the change in springs was an update and the green is not available as a replacement. that's one thing that always bugged me was the stiff clutch of my car--in LA traffic my foot will ache from holding it in (although i tend to like the feel of a stiffer clutch.) but i'm curious to try the other spring.

ok, just thought i'd share that in case other's didn't know.
Old 01-07-2007, 01:22 PM
Swedish Meatball
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm having the same problems with my clutch.. I've read tons of post of how easy it is to rebuild the slave cylinder.. But what about the master? Is it just as easy to rebuild?

Are both the slave- and master rebuild kits available through porsche?

What hoses should I replace when I'm changing both the master and the slave? Any other than the hose in between them?

Thanks!
Old 01-30-2007, 10:21 AM
Swedish Meatball
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been in contact with porsche now and they only have a rebuild kit for the slave.. Where can I find a rebuild kit for the master?
Old 04-05-2007, 04:17 AM
SchnellerUmsetzer
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea, for the last month or my clutch has felt weird now and again. I parked it this morning and went back to it and about dead under where the start sits aid a oil puddle with the peddle top the floor. I did not even look any futher I just know that it is probably the 944.116.237.00 or the hose 951.423.091.11 or the 477.721.171. I guess I need to take it apart and find out!
Old 04-05-2007, 09:32 AM
SchnellerUmsetzer
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I replaced the Slave Cyl and tried to bleed it, but to know avail. The pedal would not hold pressure so that means it is probalby the master cylinder or the lines. Either way I not fixing it in the parking lot, so it is going to the shop to get fixed tommrrow!

Last edited by SchnellerUmsetzer; 04-05-2007 at 01:29 PM.

Quick Reply: Help-Clutch pedal to floor & brake fluid leaking