Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Removing engine - disconnecting wires

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2006, 01:23 AM
pstickne
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing engine - disconnecting wires

Following the Clarks Garage page it says to disconnect the DME and battery cables and pass them through the firewall. Since I dislike trying to shove cables through really small spaces, I only partially listend to the instructions and I decided to disconnect the wiring from the engine instead. (I had the entire intake off already although head/exhaust manifold is still on).

I think I have everything removed EXCEPT...
...wires running to AC compressor, where do they detach?
...wires running from Alternator, how are power cables run in the bay? (It's detached from the starter alread)
...engine grounding wires? Are there any?
Old 05-29-2006, 04:05 AM
kwdrus
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All three are very simple.

1. A/C, it's just one wire that connects the electromagnetic clutch. you'll find one wire with a connector a few inches fromt he compressor. disconnect that and that's it.

2. The alternator wiring runs along the top of the engine parallel to the the engine harness. remove the alternator and disconnect the 2 terminals, 13mm and 8mm nuts i believe. Remove that harness back towards the firewall. If you have already disconnected the wiring at the starter all you have to do is unclip the white plug located above between the brake booster and the firewall. It should have two wires, a thin blue and a thicker red/black. Once those three points are free and all the various attachment points (zip ties and rubber clamps) have been removed you can remove that harness.

3. Engine ground can be found at the rear top of the engine. Single stud with a 13mm nut. It's pretty much directly below the coolant hose between the coolant flow valve and the hard pipe of the engine.

To remove the enigne you don't have to pass any wiring thru the fire wall. Doing so make a little more room, but it's not necessary. Just lay them over the firewall and out of the way.

Good luck

Quick Reply: Removing engine - disconnecting wires