Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

*HELP* A/F Gauge making car run bad!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 03:34 PM
TRACKIN951
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default *HELP* A/F Gauge making car run bad!!!!

AGGHHHH.... Alright, I just installed my narrow band A/f gauge. It is just a basic autometer 2 1/16 gauge. I wired the o2 lead to pin 24. I started to splice into the green wire from pin 24, but decided to pull the hole clip out and solder it the right way. Alright here is where it gets funny. I wired the power to the gauge from the ash tray light which is switched on and off with the lights. Ill start the car up and it will run fine. It is not until I turn the lights on does my vacuum drop and the car start to run bad and smell(bad mixture). What the hell is going on here, ohh and my gauge is showing nothing at all, i havnt seen one led light up yet.I have gone back into and rechecked the conections which seem to look fine! Whats up here fellas, I have to go to work soon
Old 05-12-2006, 03:43 PM
fortysixandtwo
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like the voltage to power guage light is making back to the DME.
Old 05-12-2006, 03:46 PM
TRACKIN951
Burning Brakes

But how, that is what I was kind of thinking, but the gauge is brand new and I have the right wires connected up where they should be..
*EDIT*
alright i just checked with a volt meter and there is dcefinetley voltage coming out of the purple wire, which is the wire that is run to pin 24. It had 12 volts coming out, wtf is this supposed to happen?

Last edited by TRACKIN951; 05-12-2006 at 04:21 PM.
Old 05-12-2006, 04:10 PM
fortysixandtwo
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

According to autometers site, the guage goes full rich at 1.0V DC with the range being 0.05 - 1.00V. The voltage that the violet wire carries is from the green wire on the chassis harness. If you're getting voltage from it when it's disconnected, something is wrong with the guage.

Also make sure the chassis green wire shielding is not comming in contact with the inner wire/violet wire, at the connection point.
Old 05-12-2006, 04:19 PM
TRACKIN951
Burning Brakes

Ok, So from the voltage coming from the pin to the gauge is 0.4 V, while the wierd part and what seems to be the problem is that the gauge is sending out 12 volts to the pin...??? This is just really making me think that the gauge is F'ed up.
Old 05-12-2006, 04:34 PM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Check out my response a few threads titled "time to reassemble...advice please".

The narrowband Autometers fail frequently and give a voltage output signal on the purple wire. Rennlister Got Me A Porsha sent them a description of the failure and of course they never got back with them. If it's new you shold be able to return it.
Old 05-12-2006, 06:26 PM
Got Me a Porsha
Racer

Originally Posted by Jeremy Himsel
Check out my response a few threads titled "time to reassemble...advice please".

The narrowband Autometers fail frequently and give a voltage output signal on the purple wire. Rennlister Got Me A Porsha sent them a description of the failure and of course they never got back with them. If it's new you shold be able to return it.
I was actually tracking down the reason why my autometer cabon fiber a/f meter display was so inconsistent...i.e. working and not working, and while measuring the O2 sensor V at the computer was a constant .21v, never changing, while the car was stumbling. When I disconnected the purple wire, the sensor voltage immediately jumped to 0.8v, and leveled out around 0.5v while the car smoothed out and idled perfectly. Reattaching the purple wire duplicated the same results.

This is exactly what we found on Jeremy Himsels car, which makes me believe there may be an issue with these gauges. I did send Autometer several emails regarding this issue, to no avail. I have permanently disconnected my gauge, so currently it just fills the hole. To me, the narrowband a/f gauges aren't much more than a light show, far from being a diagnostic tool. Fortunately it has now freed up the room for a nice round wideband display.

As far as my business with AutoMeter, until I receive a satisfactory reply, I will no longer purchase any products from them.
Old 05-12-2006, 06:38 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 325 Posts

I've had some issues with AutoMeter A/F gauges in the past as well. The one I have now seems to be working well tho. I'm thinking about going with an AEM wide band gauge tho, as the narrow band gauge is of very limited value.
Old 05-12-2006, 08:15 PM
nize
Banned

i've been hoping we could get a group buy on the AEM round pod gauge for a while now.
Old 05-12-2006, 08:32 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

I've found a place that sells it for $249 with the O2 sensor and a bunch of other stuff.
Old 05-12-2006, 11:22 PM
TRACKIN951
Burning Brakes

yeah guys, im thinkin of trying to return and get my money back. I will have to fill its place with something, but I already know that this narrow band gauge aint going to do a whole lot! Wide band will be the new one hopefully!
Old 05-12-2006, 11:44 PM
Mark-87-951
Burning Brakes

Interesting. Mine dithers fine. However, when I turn on the lights, the fan on high or defrost fan on, the reading drops lower. It still dithers, but it doesnt go into the middle of the yellow range. I forget where I have the power lead connected. I want to say at that light by the cigarette ligher and glove box but I cant guarantee that. I thought my problem might be grounds.
Old 05-13-2006, 12:00 AM
nize
Banned

where did you find that aem deal? do you have a link ?
Old 05-13-2006, 07:47 AM
DLS
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

hmm i´m wondering if my lindsey A/F gauge is making my car run bad
Old 05-13-2006, 11:12 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Here's the link, but there's another webpage on this same site that has a $50 coupon code for the gauge. I think you need to look under "imports", pretty sure it's on their Focus page...

http://www.rpmoutlet.com/aemgauge.htm

Quick Reply: *HELP* A/F Gauge making car run bad!!!!