Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Holy Cow. Dyno Comparison, stock vs. Dual port WG

Old 05-05-2006, 01:52 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Holy Cow. Dyno Comparison, stock vs. Dual port WG

I'm not a person who likes to post much. Too much work to do and too much liability if I'm wrong!!!! - ( I custom fab turbo kits and a bunch of other fast stuff on mostly japanese cars) But.....

Through my reading. I've learned what i should expect and what typical problems I should be expecting. This list is so valuable in that respect. So. I have a Dyno jet Chassis dyno at my shop. I dynoed my 951 as soon as I bought it. (After welding of the manifold and changing a blown out BOV) It gave me a RWHP rating of 222. Stock everything. Autothority chip and 15psi. 2.5" Straight through exhaust.

I was FINALLY able to work on the car last week. I got an old Delta Gate 38mm wastgate out of our "trash" bin. quickly welded up a flange for it and conected a $50 MBC. Result..... Um, yeah. 254 RWHP. So, lets just go with..... MAKE THIS YOUR FIRST MOD! (Chipset required of course)

Funny thing.. It only lost around 2-3 psi at redline. (From max 15psi..(12-13psi result)) I turned up the boost. (Using extremely reliable electonic Greddy boost gauge by the way.) to 17psi. only a 3hp gain. It goes right to 17, but drops right back to where the 15psi setting does at peak hp rpms. 13 - 14psi. So. I get more peak torque, (peak torque hits early in the rpm range resulting from larger boost) but ater about 5K rpms, boost levels comes down to whatever the 15psi setting was. (turbo running out of air)

So. I was curious and actually had more time on my hands. So.. I fabbed up some 2.5" intercooler piping and threw in a larger bar and plate intercooler. (don't try this at home. I had to notch out the frame) I kept psi at 17 and ran it on the dyno. I gained only 11hp.

EDIT: 11hp Peak, But a 16-18 hp at lower revs (Higher boost level)

Still a large 265hp on a STOCK turbo! 292 Foot Pounds of Torque! But. I know this intercooler set up will be much more efficient with a higher flowing turbo. (next project.)

i will post the dyno Charts tomorrow. You will see the HUGE amount of horsepower gained ALL through the Revs with the new Wastegate.

I did NOT measure Air fuels. I will do this, but some other time. (Car is still in dire need of a new suspension and not currently being driven anywhere)

Un-fortunately the clutch started slipping near the end and the max torque will not be in the Dyno graph. Torque kept falling every pull. - I increased the psi to 18 after installing the intercooler. made 268hp, but the clutch was slipping and the graph was getting ugly. So, i'm not even going to bother posting.

Hope you guys learn something from this! - Picks of the intercooler set up tomorrow also.

Last edited by 95ONE; 07-27-2006 at 02:31 AM.
Old 05-05-2006, 04:06 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

please, pics! If you have a stock AFM on there, get rid of it for a MAF setup!
Old 05-05-2006, 04:25 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Will do tomorrow for pics. Money is an issue. But I wanted to dyno in step by step intervals to know what everything is giving me. So.... For now, crumby stock AFM.
Old 05-05-2006, 05:55 PM
HIGHBOOST
Pro

sorry, but is this a k26/6? Good results
Old 05-05-2006, 07:07 PM
rhesus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Nice results, but if you don't have any way to match fuel to the boost you're adding, you're running the risk of a blown headgasket.
Old 05-06-2006, 01:34 AM
M Danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you know what would be cool is if you try a variety of chips before you mod anything thing else, I think autothority chips are know to be kinda weak
Old 05-06-2006, 08:39 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Can't post pics today. Sorry guys. Tomorow then. Not worried about gasket. I know what i'm doing. I WILL post dyno charts tomorrow. Yes. it's the stock k26/6.
Old 05-07-2006, 06:50 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Here is the dyno plot Comparison.

I used an Electronic Greddy boost gauge for comparisons. (Highly accurate) Sourced from the intake manifold.

The BLUE one is How I bought the car. (After welding up the pipe leading to the stock wastegate and replacing the BOV.) I still have small leaks in the exhaust manifold gasket. - Autothority Chipset. 2.5 Straight through exhaust. Filter. Stock everything else. k26/6, stock intercooler, wastegate, etc. You can actually see the power line waving as the stock waste gate struggles to get to 15psi. It eventually drops to 9psi by 5500 rpm. NO shimming. Just the old worn out wastegate.

The RED one is after I removed the Stock wastgate. Threw on an old 38mm Deltagate That I found in the shop. (Threw on is a slight understatement) plugged in a cheap Manual Boost Controller. - Bumped up to 17psi from the 15 in the Blue one mind you! But if you look at the difference. HUGE gains. MUCH faster spool. and an actual linear power curve.

The GREEN one is after I installed a larger intercooler. (Installed is a HUGE understatement.- Frame notching required. Don't do this at home) and fabbed up some 2.5" aluminum intercooler piping. Notice how there's no dip after full boost is reached. It even looks like there's more boost. But, according to the boost gauge, it sticks right where it was before. It's just smoother. And you can see the horsepower increase as revs increase. - Guessing from a cooler charge with the higher boost temps that the stock intercooler wasn't made for. (As well the turbo! - extra heat)

Liike I said. The clutch was slipping progressively worse. This doesn't really represent the torque figure, but I'm sure the HP numbers are very close. They honestly didn't really drop from one run to the next like torque. It's always been said it's the torque that kills the clutch. Here's a good example!

PIctures of piping are on my phone. I just tried to send them to my e-mail address, but its not working. I'll get some of the piping and intercooler later if anyone wants.
Old 05-07-2006, 08:08 PM
pk951
Burning Brakes

I would be interesting to see a picture of the intercooler, size etc.
Old 05-07-2006, 09:03 PM
IanS
Instructor

Nice to see that you can make good power with an intercooler upgrade on a K26/6. For some reason, its not a popular upgrade, but maybe it'll become more popular now.

Good work.
Old 05-07-2006, 10:06 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,156 Likes on 571 Posts

Where is your shop in Houston?
Old 05-07-2006, 10:14 PM
Driftomagnifico
Banned

Why don't people do dyno comparisons without raising boost pressure to get a real result?
Old 05-08-2006, 10:49 AM
HoBoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What was the Tq on the run with 15psi after changing the wastegate before 17psi? You said the HP was 254...
Old 05-08-2006, 11:26 AM
95ONE
Race Car

I'm sorry. I did do that dyno run. I will check on the computer.

the reason I set it up to 17psi is because the max HP was only a couple off of the 17!!!!!!!!!! It's because the turbo blows off boost at an equalizing rate by the time 5500 - 6000 rpms comes around. - meaning the boost pressure drop to about the same no matterwhat boost you start out with!! It was very interesting to watch. I also knew that the intercooler would make a bigger difference at the 17 psi.
Old 05-08-2006, 11:26 AM
95ONE
Race Car

The shop is at 3375 West 11th street. Stop by if you can!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Holy Cow. Dyno Comparison, stock vs. Dual port WG