Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the testing and write-up!
Old 05-09-2006, 12:47 AM
95ONE
Race Car

Originally Posted by pk951
I would be interesting to see a picture of the intercooler, size etc.
Its grainy. I apologize. My phone camera stinks. But heres a pic to give you an idea of what had to be done to install.

Old 05-09-2006, 12:54 AM
95ONE
Race Car

Originally Posted by M Danger
you know what would be cool is if you try a variety of chips before you mod anything thing else, I think autothority chips are know to be kinda weak

They are weak to say the least. I did put a wideband on it when I did the original run at 222 horsepower. It seems they didn't even mess with the fuel curve from what I can tell. It did all the things that the stock computer does. Rich in the middle lean up top. The only advantage I can see with this chip is the higher rev limit. (Only if you need it later, ) and the boost cut delete. That's it. I don't know about timing, but judging from the fuel curve, they probably didn't touch that either. Crap otherwise in my opinion.
Old 05-09-2006, 02:24 AM
M Danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well then what better time to do back to back tests? Since there is no magazine to do products tests
Old 05-09-2006, 02:32 AM
Ryan in SD
Instructor

Originally Posted by 95ONE
They are weak to say the least. I did put a wideband on it when I did the original run at 222 horsepower. It seems they didn't even mess with the fuel curve from what I can tell. It did all the things that the stock computer does. Rich in the middle lean up top. The only advantage I can see with this chip is the higher rev limit. (Only if you need it later, ) and the boost cut delete. That's it. I don't know about timing, but judging from the fuel curve, they probably didn't touch that either. Crap otherwise in my opinion.
I wouldnt say they are too bad. I got 236 rwhp jsut from the stg2 autothority chips. Are you using the stg1 or stg2 ???
Old 05-09-2006, 03:52 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Interesting post - thanks for sharing that!

265 is pretty good for a k26/6.

From what I've been told, intercooler mods are among the worst gains-per-dollar-spent mods you can do. Also consider that in very aggressive track-type driving, the intercoolers tend to get heat-soaked in these cars. Of course if you're able to do your own fabrication like your are, that becomes less of an issue - more directed at people that would consider $1,500 intercooler upgrades. Yes, it'll help but there are a lot better places to spend your money/time first.

I'd be curious to see what kind of effect a water-cooled type intercooler has on your setup, particularly over long pulls (with the i/c hot).
Old 05-09-2006, 08:30 AM
pk951
Burning Brakes

The intercooler is one of the most neglected upgrades, guys install bigger turbos for more hp run more boost etc. Every time you do that in escence your adding more heat. I think it would be a good idea to address this erea. Thanks for posting the pictures. What are the dimensions of the intercooler, brand.
Old 05-09-2006, 08:37 AM
sweanders
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am curious if an intercooler has a bigger effect on dyno numbers than on real life figures. There is a lot more air flowing through it out in the open.
Old 05-09-2006, 01:46 PM
M Danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it would be just the opposite, it would have more effect in actually driving, because you have more air moving through it when driving
Old 05-10-2006, 05:42 AM
sweanders
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by M Danger
I think it would be just the opposite, it would have more effect in actually driving, because you have more air moving through it when driving
A bigger intercooler would cool more air at a lower airflow (like on a dyno) and it is most likely a very good upgrade. But I wonder how big the difference is when driving, is there anyone who has measured pressure and temp changes when driving?
Old 05-10-2006, 08:37 AM
pk951
Burning Brakes

A buddy of mine did that upgrade. On the street his water temp were fine, but when he went to the track his water temp were high. The intercooler was blocking the rad to much, plus he was running with ac condensor too.
Old 07-27-2006, 05:25 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 95ONE
The shop is at 3375 West 11th street. Stop by if you can!
Anything you do in the import world that you can bring or suggest to the 951 world??

You obviously know your stuff and do all work yourself.

Do much with water injection?

Also, I assume if you are very experienced with the import world you are not afraid of high boost Would love to see a 951 running 25-30psi safely and regulary.

Quick Reply: Holy Cow. Dyno Comparison, stock vs. Dual port WG