Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

JME cam and titanium valve spring/retainers(installed)

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 10:16 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by special tool
AAARRRGH - you just beat me.
If the regulator was able to flow more fuel despite an equal pressure on both sides of the pintle - the universe would instantly collapse from the chaos. This is physically impossible.
Unless, of course, there was a black hole in the combustion chamber...

Chris White
Old 04-11-2006, 10:33 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

With wot maps. The maf voltage x rpms is used to calculate the correct fuel value. The correct fuel value can be determine with a mathematical equation if the maf calibration and injectors are known. It sounds like you believe that the wot map is a constant that doesn't rely on any input from a air metering device. If this is what your stating than your incorrect. afm/maf voltage is used to determine load at pt. At ft it's used to determine amounts of fuel since load is at a constant.
Old 04-11-2006, 11:44 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 87 Likes on 50 Posts

I just finish talking to John Doe who happens to be TinyG's new boss and he is truly sorry for tiny's behavior, he would like to post here but since he is only 17 years old he is under a curfew at home.
Old 04-11-2006, 11:50 PM
mark944turbo
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Load is not constant at full throttle... Load is defined as airflow/rpm. Dont know where you got that from.

The wot map is a map of constants... They effect fuel pw at full throttle (on top of the load value), the only inputs to this map are rpm and throttle angle. If you dont believe me look at the code.

"The correct fuel value can be determine with a mathematical equation if the maf calibration and injectors are known."

Not true, it is the theoretical fuel value that can be calculated. In practice, this is very different than the fuel value needed, due to an infinite number of factors. Which is why (I argue) that bosch, and every other respectable ecu manufacturer has a correction map on top of the original fuel value derived from load.

You are uninformed Jimbo (not the first time).
Old 04-11-2006, 11:59 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Chris White

You're definitely correct. I was indeed incorrect.

It's been a long week (and it's only Tuesday).

I was not thinking clearly.

The answer was obvious.

TonyG
Old 04-12-2006, 12:14 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

lart951

I'm not sure what your problem is, nor do I care.

If you think that people here want to hear your misguided interpretation of an inside joke, in which you obviously didn't understand, you are very much incorrect.

And for the record, we don't slap people around, we don't knock their teeth in, and in general don't have to try in vain to command respect through violence and threats, unlike you and supa twit.

So why you don't run along and go play with your mini 944 scrap yard.

Sheesh...

(this is what I get for extending you courtesy and respect ...)

TonyG
Old 04-12-2006, 05:05 AM
tedesco
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very interesting indeed! I think I got a better understanding now about what are exactly the problems of setting up a MAF in combination with injectors, chips and ECU. I feel confirmed in some points and learned a few new thing. My impression is that there are a few very well informed people on the board that know exactly what they are talking about and a few others that just think that they know exactly what they are talking about.
Initially the thread was about a cam change and I think it should remain like this. Why not opening a new thread to discuss the specific problems of a maf set-up?
Old 04-12-2006, 05:40 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Nice job summing it up mark944turbo

TonyG
Old 04-12-2006, 09:31 AM
jimbo1111
Banned

The only inputs to this map are rpm and throttle angle.
Mark: If what your saying is correct there would be no way to adjust fuel with a piggyback at wot. To that I say with complete confidence. That you are mistaken. The only time I can see your theory as fact is when a afm or maf go past 4.7 volts. Maxxed out. When the dme doesn't get a proper load value. Your secret map may come into play.
Old 04-12-2006, 11:19 AM
TT
Racer

Originally Posted by mark944turbo
Load is not constant at full throttle... Load is defined as airflow/rpm. Dont know where you got that from.

The wot map is a map of constants... They effect fuel pw at full throttle (on top of the load value), the only inputs to this map are rpm and throttle angle. If you dont believe me look at the code.

"The correct fuel value can be determine with a mathematical equation if the maf calibration and injectors are known."

Not true, it is the theoretical fuel value that can be calculated. In practice, this is very different than the fuel value needed, due to an infinite number of factors. Which is why (I argue) that bosch, and every other respectable ecu manufacturer has a correction map on top of the original fuel value derived from load.

You are uninformed Jimbo (not the first time).
Actually, Jimbo is correct with his only error being that load will still vary even under WOT. The only input to the WOT map is rpm, but the WOT map value gets added to the mix to determine final fuel delivery.

With a MAF, the correct fuel value can be calculated directly assuming there are no intake leaks.
Old 04-12-2006, 11:26 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by mark944turbo

As I said, the WOT is a map (or array) of constants indexed by RPM. The constants are the desired AFR values!!! Factory, Vitesse, whoever...

The table is indexed by RPM only!!! The Throtle angle determine (as well as other factors) which map to be used.. in this case the WOT. So the TPS angle (again as well as other factors) determine the map. Once the WOT is selected, it is indexed by RPM.

LOAD (Air Flow, RPM..) as well as many other variables are used in a formula to determine the injector duty cycle required to achieve the requested AFR as indicated in the WOT table for a particular RPM...

But then again, what the heck do I know???
Old 04-12-2006, 11:47 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by fast951
Can you at least make a good Etouffee?

Chris White
Old 04-12-2006, 01:08 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

So TT. One thing I would like for you to clear up for me if you can. Understanding that timing and fuel are referenced together on the same map. What puzzles me is how would the timing advance at say 14 psi and 3.4 volts output to the dme from the maf verses 25 psi boost and 4.3 volts output from the maf at WOT. The only thing I can think of is that it's irrelevant because the timing is very close at both map points. Am I correct?
Old 04-12-2006, 01:53 PM
shaheed
Three Wheelin'

only select individuals may possess the secret knowledge
Old 04-12-2006, 04:40 PM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbo1111
So TT. One thing I would like for you to clear up for me if you can. Understanding that timing and fuel are referenced together on the same map. What puzzles me is how would the timing advance at say 14 psi and 3.4 volts output to the dme from the maf verses 25 psi boost and 4.3 volts output from the maf at WOT. The only thing I can think of is that it's irrelevant because the timing is very close at both map points. Am I correct?
In the WOT table timing is fixed and indexed by rpm only. And that's the biggest drawback of all in the stock Motronic. For a high boost car that particular thing can be the world of difference in drivability on a Motronic vs correctly mapped aftermarket ECU.

Quick Reply: JME cam and titanium valve spring/retainers(installed)