Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

*OFFICIAL* Griffin Radiator Group Buy - Friday March 17th Ending Date!

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 10:40 PM
DanG
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Both of the sealing surfaces on mine looked flat and good enough for a seal. It also had a build sticker dated 7/18, so maybe they put in a little extra effort after some of the complaints started filtering in.
Old 07-21-2006, 12:55 AM
jy951
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default That's Because I Have His Radiator..Received Two By Mistake..Returning 2nd Rad Friday

Originally Posted by nize
nope. buddy in seattle is still waiting for his.
Sending it back to Griffin via UPS - at Griffin's expense.

Old 07-21-2006, 02:25 AM
reno928s
Pro

After installing my radiator, lower temp (83 deg) thermostat, and earlier start fan switch, I don't see much of an improvement from the stock set up I had. I had the lower degree thermostat and earlier starting fan switch with my older radiator. The needle still climbs to the top white line when idiling. It doesn't overheat, but the main reason I purchased this radiator was to drop my temperature down. Reno
Old 07-21-2006, 03:04 AM
jy951
Instructor

Default Same Here...No Real Difference..Probably Should Have Spent The $$$ On Other 951 Parts

Originally Posted by reno928s
After installing my radiator, lower temp (83 deg) thermostat, and earlier start fan switch, I don't see much of an improvement from the stock set up I had. I had the lower degree thermostat and earlier starting fan switch with my older radiator. The needle still climbs to the top white line when idiling. It doesn't overheat, but the main reason I purchased this radiator was to drop my temperature down. Reno
Old 07-31-2006, 04:47 PM
nize
Banned

Originally Posted by reno928s
installing a bigger/better/different radiator does not change the coolant temperature, because that's controlled by the thermostat, not the radiator itself. a more efficient radiator would allow for faster temperature changes, not cooler overall temperatures.

also, attempting to solve overheating problems by changing the thermostat is not the smartest way to do it, because what you're really doing is trying to 'cover up' the real problem, not fixing it. read here;
http://members.rennlist.com/951_racerx/Thermostat.html

Last edited by nize; 08-02-2006 at 01:40 PM.
Old 07-31-2006, 04:49 PM
nize
Banned

btw guys, according to griffin, we should have received the correct 10x1 metal drain plug WITH the radiator. i did not (and i'm assuming everyone else here did not as well). i'd call griffin and request that they send this asap.

also, i'm emailing griffin to explain all the crappy issues we've had with this group buy, and ask for a possible further discount/reimbursement, or some other sort of compensation. i'd recommend you all do the same, as they're more likely to listen to collective voices rather than a few.
Old 08-02-2006, 06:31 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jy951
leave it to you to waste cash as a result of your total auto ignorance. Well done.
BTW I got mine for 346.00 and it was perfect, and that was the shipped price, but I'm sure you'll find some bill of good tech to talk you out of more of your cash. lol
Did you ever get that smaller exhaust for your turbo car that increased torque?
Old 08-03-2006, 12:53 AM
jy951
Instructor

Originally Posted by ehall
leave it to you to waste cash as a result of your total auto ignorance. Well done.
BTW I got mine for 346.00 and it was perfect, and that was the shipped price, but I'm sure you'll find some bill of good tech to talk you out of more of your cash. lol
Did you ever get that smaller exhaust for your turbo car that increased torque?
DUMB A$$ - I NEVER said that the smaller exhaust increased torque on my 951 - I said that I REMOVED THE CAT and NOTICED A DECREASE IN MY MID RANGE TORQUE WHEN merging (ACCELERATING) into Highway traffic - FOOL!!!

You are CLUE-LESS, it's well known that PORSCHE and OTHER car manufacturers use the exhaust system to increase/decrease torque via the header and overall pipe (via mandrel bends) design. Only FOOLS LIKE YOURSELF GET ON RENNLIST AND ACT LIKE IT'S SOME SORT OF JOKE THAT EXHAUST DESIGN IMPACTS PERFORMANCE. Hey SMART-A$$, GO ASK THE PORSCHE FACTORY - THEY'VE BEEN TWEAKING EXHAUSTS (to INCREASE TORQUE, etc.) FOR YEARS TO IMPROVE PERFORMANCE - YOU ARE COMPLETE DUMB-A$$!!!!
Old 08-03-2006, 01:17 AM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

btw guys, according to griffin, we should have received the correct 10x1 metal drain plug WITH the radiator. i did not (and i'm assuming everyone else here did not as well). i'd call griffin and request that they send this asap.

also, i'm emailing griffin to explain all the crappy issues we've had with this group buy, and ask for a possible further discount/reimbursement, or some other sort of compensation. i'd recommend you all do the same, as they're more likely to listen to collective voices rather than a few.
Back on subject.

Really, I didn't get one... let me know what they say.
Old 08-03-2006, 10:22 AM
Matthew951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yeah, I never got the radiator plug, and I've even been having a hard time finding the correct one in town. I'll give Griffin a call today, and see where our radiator drain bolts are. Hopefully I can get them to send one out to everyone.

Matt
Old 09-04-2006, 09:32 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Matthew951
Yeah, I never got the radiator plug, and I've even been having a hard time finding the correct one in town. I'll give Griffin a call today, and see where our radiator drain bolts are. Hopefully I can get them to send one out to everyone.

Matt
Any update?
Old 09-05-2006, 02:25 AM
Got Me a Porsha
Racer

Originally Posted by beab951
Any update?
Yes, Autozone stores stock them, as a HELP item, and about two bucks each.
Old 09-05-2006, 02:39 AM
nize
Banned

Originally Posted by Got Me a Porsha
the point is, we already paid a couple of hundred bucks each for the radiator WITH the plug included, and did not get the plug.

griffin should send us the plug and the washer and whatever else they should have sent to begin with.

we should not have to go out of our way and pay more money to a third-party to complete their screw-up.
Old 09-05-2006, 09:41 AM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Got Me a Porsha
The Griffin radiator does not use the stock drain plug, are you saying that AZ has the correct size?
Old 09-05-2006, 11:22 AM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

the point is, we already paid a couple of hundred bucks each for the radiator WITH the plug included, and did not get the plug.

griffin should send us the plug and the washer and whatever else they should have sent to begin with.

we should not have to go out of our way and pay more money to a third-party to complete their screw-up.
While Griffin "should have" sent the correct drain plug, the didn't and for some of us waiting for them to send it or spending countless hours and money on phone callls with griffin just isn't worth it. Besides, I would not have installed a plug style anyway because it makes too much of a mess anyway. We used a 1/8 npt petcock style plug that way a hose can be slipped over the end of it and routed to a bucket for draining purposes.

While the latest run of Griffin's were not the prettiest of the radiator runs, they are very efficient and have dropped temperatures on our cars pretty significantly. They also installed easier then a stock radiator and I'm a bit more comfortable not having plastic nipples or threads. I guess I looked at it as I was interested in purchasing a part that has improved efficiency over the stock unit as opposed to buying art work.

Would I use griffin again? Probably not. Did it satisfy my need? Yes.

Quick Reply: *OFFICIAL* Griffin Radiator Group Buy - Friday March 17th Ending Date!