A Rebuild - new pics

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 07:44 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default A Rebuild - Alive

When anyone is doing a rebuild, I'm doing one for a friend, it usually generates some interest, especially if you have some photos to share - which I have and will do as we put the car back together over the next week.

Car - 1986 944T, 82k miles, Meteor Grey Metallic, black int, LSD, in excellent to good condition, some records and no dash or interior cracks. Refinished Fuchs, new tires. Purchased for $8250.

Problem - Noisy clutch assembly, numerous oil leaks, history of broken timing belt and oil seal problems.

Goals - complete rebuild, new clutch, and performance upgrades(LR 340 kit) with WBO2.

Done
1. Engine out, shopped and back
2. New clutch in, complete, with new fork and needle bearings
3. Flywheel resurfaced in lightened.
4. Crank micropolished
5. Head refresh complete
6. Block - repolished/refinished bores, Sunnen process, with polish stones, felt/oil/paste.
8. parts from paragon in hand, seals - bearings - gaskets - grease - expansion tank, bolts, nuts, studs, etc.
9. Jet Hot - exhaust, cross over, turbo down pipe - intake - brake booster heat shield, front water pipe, heater return pipe.
10. new hood insulation in hand
11. Alternator and starter - rebuilt

getting started

pretty nasty

bearing wear

getting clean

This weekend will bring about the short block and/to long block assembly. The turbo will go on and then the engine will be stabbed, new motor mounts await.

I'll post some more pics with parts laid out, jet hot stuff, and the progress we make.

Last edited by Ski; 04-07-2006 at 10:03 PM.
Old 03-01-2006, 08:00 PM
87944turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Ski, was the engine dissasembly done with the engine in the car? Is there an advantage to doing it this way? Just wondering in case I ever have to go down this road. Would be great to see some more pics of the car sometime, don't think I have ever seen this color before and thanks for sharing!
Old 03-01-2006, 08:08 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

We took the top stuff off in the car, pulled the head and exhaust together, radiator out, and came out the top. Neither Rhob nor I had large enough jacks for clearance to get it out the bottom and my friend with the hanger and lift inside, well he is out of the country. We did pull the tranny, so we slid the torque tube back and had plenty of room. We plan on going back in the reverse of out. At least everything will be clean or new going back, this engine was dirty.
Old 03-01-2006, 08:12 PM
Opeth
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default nice

Sweet color! Are you doing anything to the brakes/suspension ?
Old 03-01-2006, 09:17 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

We put new lines, new fluid, pads and rotors right after he got the car. He had Koni Yellows for the rear and Koni front conversions ready. Sway bars will come later, new A/C compressor kit will be there Friday.
Old 03-01-2006, 09:47 PM
dougoh
Burning Brakes

thanks for the pics bret...im getting ready to pull my motor...ive got a short block that im going to build up...i will post pics as well.

Doug
Old 03-02-2006, 10:33 AM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Gotta love new bores...

The gentleman who did the machining owns a very small shop behind his house. He doesn't have huge overhead or a staff to oversee. I'll post more photos tomorrow or Saturday. What I did want to tell you is what he did and what the $$ were. But before that, Mr.Eason mostly does work on Chevys and Fords, a few Pontiac and Chrysler engines - late modified, circle track and few drag motors and engines for Hot Rod show cars. He has never done a Porsche engine, head or otherwise, till now. I know basic machining skills are all the same but he was a little weary - we gave him the FSM with all the data. Rhob wanted to use him from the success he had restoring his sons 1970 Mustang Mach I.

the workscope:
1. mill cam tower to expose smooth surface for PORSCHE letters
2. micropolish crankshaft
3. rebuild head, 3 angle job, install new guides and stem seals that we provided, mill .002"
4. mic bores on block, in tolerance, Sunnen polish stones, Sunnen felts with Silica paste and refinish bores, basically just a rehash of the alusil, mill .002"
5. drill out both speed and reference sensors in bracket, aluminum stuck to aluminum

bill.......$362.28

Last edited by Ski; 03-02-2006 at 10:55 AM.
Old 03-02-2006, 11:20 AM
OriginalSterm
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can I ship a block to him Ski? Would he do it again if I had a block that needed similar attention?
Old 03-02-2006, 11:30 AM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have a new set of pistons coming in a few weeks. He is going to bore and do a complete engine for me, for JAB Racing - our track car test mule engine, let him get one more under his belt and complete, and then I'm sure he would be interested.

He also removed the head studs as you can see and cleaned the holes, retapped.
Old 03-04-2006, 12:07 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Got home a day early...so we'll hit this afternoon. I'm impressed with the work. Head looks great, block looks great, the micropolish on the crank looks like it was chromed.

Sterm, I'll ask him Monday or Tuesday if he's interested.

I'll get some pics up this afternoon, as hopefully well have the short block assembled and put the new head studs in to set overnight.

Last edited by Ski; 03-04-2006 at 12:25 PM.
Old 03-04-2006, 12:57 PM
dougoh
Burning Brakes

lookin forward to the pics
Old 03-04-2006, 01:10 PM
Pauerman
Addict
Rennlist Member

You gotta love nice machine work at a reasonable price! Way to go man
Old 03-04-2006, 01:14 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well I was skeptical I have to admit, especially after our success with Duffin in San Antonio. I did install a piston ring and the ring gap is under the second factory tolerance so that's great, after having the bores repolished and pasted.
Old 03-04-2006, 01:25 PM
Pauerman
Addict
Rennlist Member

I just found a local machinist with Alusil experience and tooling. He bored and repasted my 3.0L block to the 1st oversize for $200 plus $25 for cleaning. This guy is totally precise with his work and made sure to show me the ".0007 piston to cyl clearance on every cylinder. Man, was I ever happy knowing the job got done correctly - money well spent, that's for sure.
Old 03-04-2006, 02:02 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

What did you do for pistons on that 3.0L? Factory or from Heritage or TK or ....?

Quick Reply: A Rebuild - new pics