Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

blow off valve placement issue - can it go anywhere?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2006, 06:07 PM
Alpine951
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default blow off valve placement issue - can it go anywhere?

I am installing a maf with a maf pipe to the headlight. The port on the maf pipe is too close to the port in the intercooler pipe so it won't allow any easy way to hook it up. Will it be ok if I have a longer hose coming off the ports which means the BOV will be not as close to the ports?

Last edited by Alpine951; 01-23-2006 at 10:39 AM.
Old 01-23-2006, 10:39 AM
Alpine951
Drifting

16 hours later and no replies. Anyone know if this is a going to be a problem.
Old 01-23-2006, 01:08 PM
testarossa_td
Race Car

I can't forsee you having any problem. The key issue here is pressure.
Make sure your hoses can handle it and don't B-off themselves.

I am sure there are disadvantages as you move it further away, but that is for the experts to mention...of which I am not.
Old 01-23-2006, 01:51 PM
badcoupe
Three Wheelin'

it'll be fine as long as the hoses are secure not pinched off. Most turbo builders will tell you the closer the turbo the better
Old 01-23-2006, 02:10 PM
MarkRobinson
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My BOV on the 928 is about 10' from the throttle body, car drives as-stock.
Old 01-23-2006, 02:44 PM
Turby
Banned

You shouldnt have a problem...... you can put the BOV pritty much anywhere as long as its there to combat compressor surge, intercooler pipes or even on the intercooler. My BOV is a 5-6 from inches from the throttle body with the AFM 2 inches from the TB....so I can vent to atmosphere without bieng rich.....
Old 01-23-2006, 02:48 PM
mark944turbo
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

You have your afm in a pressurized IC pipe? Interesting...
Old 01-23-2006, 04:54 PM
Turby
Banned

Hey Mark, hows things? Yeah, It was the only way I could see to cure the BOV to atmosphere MAF problem..... works well....
Old 01-23-2006, 07:37 PM
mark944turbo
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

See your old steering wheel on the first page of my site?

I dont think putting the afm in a pressurized pipe would be a good idea for a few reasons.

First, the temp correction in the chips is set up knowing that the temp sensor is usually before the turbo, and it will be much hotter where yours is, this will cause you to run rich.

Second, even if the maps were set up correctly, there is no way the response time on that sensor is fast enough to respond to the drastic changes that come from on/off boost.

I guess if both these problems were taken care of, it would be possible, as it is a velocity air flow meter, and velocity should be the same before or after the turbo, but I still wouldnt want to do it because of the extra beating the electronics will take in the environment.

I think you would be better off dealing with the smaller bov problem, or just not venting to atmosphere, since its more of a "cool noise" than a performance modification.
Old 01-23-2006, 07:59 PM
Turby
Banned

I do see it, I have since upgraded to a 968 CS wheel..... much better quality. Actually, "much hotter" is not the case, especially when I am on boost, those IC pipes get cooler than a cucumber. The drastic changes are the same weather before or after the turbo...... but you are right about the electronics taking alittle extra beating. When you are making so much HP, after a point, a good BOV is very important, not too big not to small. With my old huntley maf and turbo, I got surge with the stock bov, and with the godzilla after because there wasent enough pressure to open it all the time. This is why I am sticking with the HKS SS bov which has a dual release setup, low boost, and high. You know which is working too because the "whistle" is the smaller valve, then on higher boost pressure you get the "woosh"..... Sorry, but I like my fast and the furious setup!

Quick Reply: blow off valve placement issue - can it go anywhere?