Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

"El Cheapo" Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2005, 10:19 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default "El Cheapo" Upgrade

Just installed the MySwiss venturi delete kit on my 951. Not too shabby. I'm reasonably impressed with it and will give a report once everything's back together fully. Here's a problem I saw however:

I mean, lookit all this crap! There's the alternator wires, main wiring harness, oil-air separator line and ISV line ALL stuffed in there under the intake even WITH the MySwiss kit. Not good! Most of that stuff just sits right on the junction of the head to the block & upper balance shaft housing too - making it a great place for crud (and dropped bolts) to accumulate and a terrible place for cooling air to get.

So by golly, I'm gonna' do somethin' about it!

Soooooo. . .

$1.20 at Home Depot and a couple hours tinkering with drills and jigsaws, I came up with this little guy:

A piece of 2" PVC pipe cut to fit exactly between the rear intake manifold bracket and the oil supply line for the turbo off the upper balance shaft housing. I swapped the locations of the bracket for the ISV (yes the line still reaches the appropriate nipple on the intake fine) and the knock sensor (I recently had to add a new end onto it anyway, so I added about 4" of new wire to the overall length).

Notch out a section towards the rear to accommodate the ISV line (black one) and everything else fits through. It's a bit of a pain pulling the stuff through, but if you're patient it'll come out looking like this:

And there's a HECK of a lot more room under the intake now! You can actually SEE under there, access the ISV and knock sensor and you can actually pick up any stuff that falls down there WITHOUT removing the intake! Whoo!!! Whoo!!!

The little bracket that the piece of pipe sits on has two sets of two holes already there, so it's the perfect location to run the zip-ties through. Almost like they were meant to be there. I'll probably add a flat bracket with bolts in a subsequent version of this little "engine bay organizer" but for now, this works.

Check out how much more space under the intake for cooling air now:

Old 12-08-2005, 10:23 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 87 Likes on 50 Posts

looks neat Jeff.
Old 12-08-2005, 10:23 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 12-09-2005, 11:58 AM
testarossa_td
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sweet.
Old 12-09-2005, 12:25 PM
95Juan
Mexican Ambassador
Lifetime Rennlist

i always thought of something like that, kudos for actually doing it!
Old 12-09-2005, 01:53 PM
kasturbo
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the love of God, please cover those intake ports with something while the intake is off! Looks good!
Old 12-09-2005, 02:34 PM
jmporsche944
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by por951turbo
For the love of God, please cover those intake ports with something while the intake is off! Looks good!
If you cover the intake ports, where would you push all the dirt too on the top of the head? I throw the broken zip ties and such in there too.
Old 12-09-2005, 02:40 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Jeff,
You're car is an 86 right? i didn't have so much wires, pipe and stuff like you did. As i recall, it was the ISV and knock sensor wires which are under the intake.

Are those the injector wires under the intake as well? if so, it should not be like that.

Also, did you use electrical tape?
Old 12-09-2005, 04:01 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Yea it's an '86.

How did I just KNOW someone was going to comment about plugging the intake ports! LOL! I usually do, I just removed the stuff for the pictures. I do have a nice rubber stopper for the turbo outlet though - $2.50 at home depot. These pics were taken with just the shop towel left in though.

I'm getting a matching set of four rubber stoppers for the intake plugs next time I'm there - for now I usually just use shop towels.

Anyway the injector wires are on the fuel rail where they belong - the wires are just everything that runs up that-a-way (oil pressure unit, TPS, coolant temp. sensor, AFM, knock sensor). Yes I wrapped all those individually with electrical tape (the stock brown plastic crap has gotten very heat-brittled over time and even cracked away in places, leaving nice sharp edges to cut the wires). The key with elec. taping the wires is to keep the tape tight and be patient - do a good wrap. I did it on my '85 and it's holding up fine.
Old 12-09-2005, 04:34 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Jeff,
Compare what i did (one year back now) and see how minimal the hoses and wires are? sorry, but you're is quiet a mess

(yes, the intake ports were covered, they were left open for picture purposes only)

Jeff: It will be a matter of time before the electrical tape will start to become sticky and probably fall off/melt due to the heat.
Old 12-09-2005, 04:39 PM
951North
Pro

The ABS Plastic pipe will stand up to the heat okay??

jason
Old 12-09-2005, 04:52 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

PVC - it should. If not it'll be an R&D change-of-material for the next generation. I threw a chunk of it in the engine bay of my '85 (currently driving) and checked it yesterday, looked fine. No signs of melting or heat degradation.

I think the "permanent" solution to the harness jacketing will be that shrink-tube stuff, but that's another project for another time (and a heat gun). I've had pretty good luck with the electrician's tape so far on my other car (no adhesive oozing or slippage). Anything beats that brown brittle crap though. I suppose I could even get that corrugated plastic stuff. . .
Old 12-09-2005, 04:53 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Where are your alternator wires and the harness lines?
Old 01-24-2006, 12:08 PM
autox951
Advanced

Hey Jeff, pulled up this old post of yours...great job. I noticed the 90 degree elbow and blue line off your oil breather, did you run that back to your intake or did you put a oil catch can up front?
Old 01-24-2006, 01:01 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

It look good. but i dont remember mine looking like that.

Quick Reply: "El Cheapo" Upgrade