Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Custom Exhaust Pics/Tutorial Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2005, 08:10 PM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Custom Exhaust Pics/Tutorial Thread

just thought id make a custom exhaust thread.although i havent made mines yet,i know alot of you here on the list have.this thread will be used for posting pics of your setup,pics of making it...etc...also,what degree bends did you use or how much did it cost you at a local shop.even though we have SFR and lindsey that makes beautiful exhaust systems,it seems that most of us would like a complete exhaust system without paying an arm and a leg(tho i would pay for the SFR unit if i had the cash,no doubt)so post your full systems or cat back systems you have made or shop made.

btw,does anyone know if i can fit a 3"inlet round Borla XR1 exhaust where the cat converter used to be?the borla is 5" round at the body.thanx

heres an example of a custom exhaust.i hope he doesnt mind,im borrowing a picture of his system.

Old 12-01-2005, 09:04 PM
will951
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Unfortunately I have no pics of my system.....yet at least.

I bought the Maganaflow SS muffler, Magnaflow SS tip, and high flow cat from LR. Had a shop bend it up for me. Total cost wasl ike $400 for a 3" system. Not mandrel bent...but from what I can see, the bends look pretty damn good.

Damn....this is making me want to throw the car up on the lift.....
Old 12-02-2005, 03:51 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

If you look at the two circles below, you can see how the factory exhaust has these kinks:

The stock exhaust on my car doesnt have these for some reason, maybe i am lucky and it is just a matter of time before something happens due to age?
Old 12-02-2005, 10:42 AM
Matthew951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hosrom_951
If you look at the two circles below, you can see how the factory exhaust has these kinks:

The stock exhaust on my car doesnt have these for some reason, maybe i am lucky and it is just a matter of time before something happens due to age?
Not sure why your car wouldn’t have that. The factory does that to the pipes so they fit under the car better. I don’t think I've seen many cars (Porsche 944s, as well as other makes/models) in my experience that do not have at least 1 flattened part of exhaust from the factory. Maybe you just got lucky and Porsche missed that step on your car?
Old 12-02-2005, 11:17 AM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Hoshrom, could you take a picture of the exhaust on your car?
Thanks
Ahmet
Old 12-02-2005, 01:26 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Matthew: Well, i could be lucky, or maybe it is just that they collapse over time? don't know

Ahmet: These are the best pictures i can take, for now:

Test-pipe (as you can see, there is no CAT or primary muffler, and this is the OEM exhaust)

Wastegate tie-out (Again showing no CAT/Muffler from factory)

Test-pipe again (showing no signs of welds/cutting what-so-ever)

Will take pictures later on (tomorrow) of the rear section of the exhaust.
Old 12-02-2005, 01:37 PM
aeronautica86
Three Wheelin'

is there a significant advantage of starting with a 3" pipe at the turbo and then increase to 3.5" and 4" and the end?

how would this differ (in power/throttle response/spoolup) from a 3" from the turbo back, or a 4" all the way back?
Old 12-02-2005, 02:01 PM
Matthew951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by aeronautica86
is there a significant advantage of starting with a 3" pipe at the turbo and then increase to 3.5" and 4" and the end?

how would this differ (in power/throttle response/spoolup) from a 3" from the turbo back, or a 4" all the way back?
I was wondering the same thing. I dont see how it would help any, becuase the air is already going through smaller pipes up front, why the progressivly bigger pipes to the back?

Would this have to do with the air cooling off? Expanding a little when it cools down? If thats the theory behind it. It would make perfect sense, but it you go to big, to fast, wouldnt it hurt the performance also?

Originally Posted by hosrom_951
Matthew: Well, i could be lucky, or maybe it is just that they collapse over time? don't know
You may be right, but I am pretty sure the factory does it like that. It may or may not be to help with fitment though, there could be other reasons. Or like you said, it may be just from time? I was told the stock exhaust is double walled, right? So Maybe this happens to 'some' of the exhausts when they are bending them, and others luck out and come out without the dents?

One thing I do know - I need to get ride of the cat, and get a nice 3inch exhaust
Old 12-02-2005, 02:22 PM
Kool
Part of the IN Crowd
Rennlist Member

I have never seen a factory exhaust with so much rust on it. Hussam are you sure that it is original? Could a previous owner have changed it?
Old 12-02-2005, 02:26 PM
95Juan
Mexican Ambassador
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

shortyboy, i use a Dynomax bullet in place of the Cat. straight through, muffles half decently, and doesnt burn out like a glasspacked muffler. i dont think a regular muffler would work. i might be tossing my magnaflow so i'll just have the dynomax, and have 4" after the dynomax.
Old 12-02-2005, 03:34 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Kool: I asked the PO, he never touched the exhaust. When the oil pan gasket was replaced, i checked the ID of the exhaust when the cross over pipe was removed, it measured 2 1/4 inches.

Like i said before in previous threads, MAYBE it is because the German Spec 86 models came like this, maybe not.

But the cross over pipe has the same rust as the rest of the system, as well as the wastegate outlet pipe. I also found the 951 part numbers on the exhaust system (where others doubted me) but i like to keep it to myself
Old 12-02-2005, 03:45 PM
aeronautica86
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Matthew951
Would this have to do with the air cooling off? Expanding a little when it cools down? If thats the theory behind it. It would make perfect sense, but it you go to big, to fast, wouldnt it hurt the performance also?
yeah, this is definately the logic behind it, exhaust gases cool off toward the rear of the car and expand, so increased exhaust pipe diameter is used to decrease backpressure - I was just wondering if it really makes a noticable difference over a 3" all the way back
Old 12-02-2005, 03:58 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

hos,
you sure that thing is origional, looks like aftermarket to me. If you found a part number, no disputing that.
My exhaust was purchased second hand, i have a bursch test pipe. the cat back was custom made at a shop. 3 inch, bends are not mendrel, and don't impress me much. they threw on a spintech muffler. I don't know if this muffler is helping or hurting my performance (Discuss!) but I do know this setup sounds pretty cool. a bit more growl, pretty unique for a 944. I may have pics at home, I'll look when i get home.
Eyal
Old 12-02-2005, 04:27 PM
Kool
Part of the IN Crowd
Rennlist Member

Hussam

I have a grey markey car. And mine looks exactly like the one pictured above. What are the last numbers in your VIN maybe the car was an early production unit.

I was basing my opinion more on the rust on the exhaust mine has virtually corrosion and yours looks to be coated with it. The exhaust on my old S10 had that same light rust on it.

Can you post a picture from the rear of the car? The fittings where the WG return meets up with the exhaust is unlike any stock unit I have seen.
Old 12-02-2005, 04:32 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Kool: I will PM you the pictures

Sorry Shortyboy for the OT

Quick Reply: Custom Exhaust Pics/Tutorial Thread