Requesting pics of RX7 oil cooler installs

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2005, 12:06 AM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Requesting pics of RX7 oil cooler installs

The threads about this all have no pics/dead links to pics. I want to upgrade mine before I start racing. I also want it so I can get rid of the stock one, and put this in its place...

Old 11-19-2005, 09:08 AM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

ur pix dont work.heres an old picture of my install,ill get some updated pics of the rx7 2marrow.

Old 11-20-2005, 12:05 AM
Scootin159
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Love the remote oil filter. How do you tie this setup into the block?

Also, any reason you can't go with some cheap & huge GM filter as long as you're going remote? I don't see any advantage to the Mahle filter if you're no longer mounting it inverted, plus there's gotta be cheaper GM remote filter kits.
Old 11-20-2005, 12:29 AM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

what brand relocation kit is that?moroso?greddy?
Old 11-20-2005, 12:44 AM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the pics shortyboy!

Its a MOCAL from www.batinc.net where I also got the takeoff plate. It the takeoff) is kinda pricey at $60USD or so, but thats because it rotates so itll point anywhere. The remote filter mount is $40, but theres cheaper ones. Its impossible to find remote mounts that use the 944 oil filter thread and size, the one I got uses whatever size VWs use (as well as tons of other makes). Funny thing is, the 944 filter seems to thread on just fine and will torque down, so its great for testing purposes Ill just start getting Mahle filters in the VW size from my mechanic. Mahles are a great filter anyway, so no point in downgrading to something cheaper just to save a few bucks.

Old 11-20-2005, 01:04 AM
Scootin159
Drifting

huh, that's pretty cool...and well worth the $60 in my opinion. So guessing from the pics, it just screws into where the oil filter would go?

btw, I hope that's just a temp solution for a turbo water block-off plate
Old 11-20-2005, 01:09 AM
Zero10
Race Car

Must be temp, no hose clamp on the lower rad hose :P

Amsoil's kit should fit our oil filter mounts, no?...
Then you could mount a dual remote bypass setup, and run any of their filters with a check valve, along with having bypass filtration.

That's a cool idea for the oil cooler (hahaha), have a lot of people done this mod? How hard is it to do?
I'm going to relocate my oil filter, and the current oil cooler position is looking mighty handy, so if there's a setup to relocate the oil cooler out front.....
Old 11-20-2005, 01:28 AM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Zero10
Must be temp, no hose clamp on the lower rad hose :P

Amsoil's kit should fit our oil filter mounts, no?...
Then you could mount a dual remote bypass setup, and run any of their filters with a check valve, along with having bypass filtration.

That's a cool idea for the oil cooler (hahaha), have a lot of people done this mod? How hard is it to do?
I'm going to relocate my oil filter, and the current oil cooler position is looking mighty handy, so if there's a setup to relocate the oil cooler out front.....
a few of us on the list are running it,try searching for the threads on it.btw,the price of the kit is dependant on which parts you buy.(at least from what i see on batinc.net)i finally found a relocation kit!!YAY!
Old 11-20-2005, 01:36 AM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Scootin159
huh, that's pretty cool...and well worth the $60 in my opinion. So guessing from the pics, it just screws into where the oil filter would go?

btw, I hope that's just a temp solution for a turbo water block-off plate
Yes, temp It might hold though, im going with waterless coolant. Cooling system pressure prolly wont pass 2 PSI

More than 60. Im at about $120USD total I think, after the take off, mount, fittings, etc.

I still have to figure out the hoses and such. Right now, the hoses could be 5 inches long and straight, but that wont have enough flex I dont think. I think having 45 degree ones on the take off will let me do a loop of hose.

I have to trade in the push lock fittings (had a HUGE brainfart when I ordered ) and get the normal AN fittings, since I already have the hose.
Old 11-20-2005, 06:18 AM
J Chen
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't forget to remove the thermo in
the RX oil cooler & block up the hole.
Old 11-20-2005, 12:22 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by J Chen
Don't forget to remove the thermo in
the RX oil cooler & block up the hole.
Only post 88 Turbo ones have that apparently. I might have a lead on an N/A one from after 86, which is bigger than pre 86 (Same size as the turbo ones I believe).
Old 11-21-2005, 06:45 AM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

also remember to change the washer on the bolt for the rx7 oil t-stat.it leaked on me before.

Quick Reply: Requesting pics of RX7 oil cooler installs