Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

MAF tuning without piggyback (mafterburner etc)

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2005, 10:56 AM
Swedish Meatball
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default MAF tuning without piggyback (mafterburner etc)

I'm in the middle of planning my winter project; new turbo, exhaust, maf etc etc..

I started thinking about tuning the car with the MAF installed. It seems like most people here go with the piggyback solution. I'm more into burning my own chips and tune without a piggyback. Apart from being more time consuming, is it much more difficult to get an ok tune that way than by using a piggyback and piggyback software?

Does it work something like this?:
I take my car from a spin and log the wideband data, load that data into a computer with chip burning/tuning software, do some changes to the air/fuel mixture and then burn a new chip.. Then take my car for a spin with the new chip, get out on the road again, start logging... load the info into the computer... and so on until I have a tune I'm happy with.. Or is it more complicated than that?
Old 10-31-2005, 01:30 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So what do you need from me to burn me custom chips????
Old 10-31-2005, 02:33 PM
Swedish Meatball
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by toddk911
So what do you need from me to burn me custom chips????
Well let's see.. first of all I need knowledge.. do you have some for me??

Last edited by djungel-Jim; 10-31-2005 at 02:52 PM.
Old 10-31-2005, 03:02 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

You will be there forever with your tuning method. The easiest way is to buy a vitesse maf and chip. I'm not hear to tell you how to spend your money. There kit is very good. If you don't have the money and/or want to try something inexpensive. This might help.
I was thinking of something last night that might also work but it uses a afm chip. My whole idea revolves around getting a maf meter as close to stock as possible. (using a stock car) That would have to be a 19lb 75mm maf. Maf meters are adjustable as far as output voltage at cfm levels. So this is how it goes. Install the maf in front of your stock afm with a cone filter in front of it. Power the maf. Log the afm signal output and the maf meter output at the same time. Pop the cover off of the maf and adjust the potentiometer to reflect the output voltage on the afm at idle. Than do a wot run and try to max out the afm at 4.7 volts. Log the maf voltage at the limit of the afm. If your voltage is lower than that of the afm adjust the potentiometer to get to the same range as the afm. This may require a few runs at wot. Once your setup is as close as it could be. Remove the afm and install the maf in it's place. This will get you very close to the stock afm. You will still need to adjust the maf output in some areas with a piggyback. I firmly believe this could work. The good thing about maf is that they reduce load to the dme when larger injectors are installed. So in Theory. If once the maf is setup on the stock injectors you can install larger injectors and the load will reduce at the same rate. You will need minimal massaging to get the larger injectors to work because of this feature that maf meters have.
Old 10-31-2005, 03:40 PM
turbinek
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess the information you need is what tuner don't share! I am not too familiar with the businiess but one thing I am sure about, before you do anything you must know a lot or you will spend tons of USD in toasted stuff.
If you want to start a business - it may worth it - otherwise check out what is best - and this might be Vitesse. I like the idea of GURU more but there seems to be Vitesse dominating the scene.

Quick Reply: MAF tuning without piggyback (mafterburner etc)