Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum-72/)
-   -   P O R S C H E 944 GTR TURBO Info Thread (https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum/234956-p-o-r-s-c-h-e-944-gtr-turbo-info-thread.html)

Guns951 10-27-2005 05:07 AM

P O R S C H E 944 GTR TURBO Info Thread

5 Attachment(s)
This post is about/dedicated to the Porsche 944 GTR (Turbo) information and pictures are highly appreciated as I am trying to compile a database of knowledge on this beast. Here is what my research has uncovered thus far. Any misinformation on my part is unintentional and if anyone has corrections please post!!! I would like to know as much as possible as I am currently putting together a shopping list for parts to complete my GTR project which should get off the drawing board and into assembly sometime in July. Thanks in advance for posts and support!!! BTW the picture of the two bodacious rear ends, on the right is a GTP # 36 (924) and the left is a GTR # 39 (944 Turbo).

Factory Designation: 944 Turbo GTR
Manufacturer (Body): FABCAR
Year: 1987
Engine: DOHC 8v Inline 4 single turbo
Power Output: 410 BHP-435 BHP (opinions vary until 700 BHP)
Transmission/Diff: 5 spd manual w/ LSD Diff
1/4 mile time (supposedly): 10.4 sec.- 10.9 sec.
Top Speed: 182 mph or 306 kph
Wheels: 16 x 12 rear 16 x 9 front BBS
Body Composition: All Fiberglass - single piece front end -
Rear flares that encompased the quarter windows from the doors back (one big ass piece on either side as well).
Rollcage: Yes - full 16 point cage mounted to suspension pick up points in cab as well as engine bay - engine bay cross braces across engine (bolted in place)
Interior: Singe race seat (recaro) with single piece race dash (the ugly one like GT racing sells) with toggle switches everywhere and a large panel that slants towards the driver.
Exhaust: Straight pipe w/o muffler piped through the passenger side body moulding about 2 1/2 ft from front wheel well.
Fuel Cell: unknown
Underbody Spoilers (ie flat undertray): Unknown

mark944turbo 10-27-2005 11:23 AM

I thought it was 8valve. And it had 2 fuel injectors per cylinder, and ITBs. There are some more pics of the engine with the hood off, etc if you search on google.

fast951 10-27-2005 11:30 AM

Great thread. I'm interested in this info as well.. These pictures are of great help, as I'm working on the spolers/difusers on my own car (951 with GTR fiberglass front, read fenders).

If you notice the front, there is some sort of flexible (rubbery type I guess) strip going across the bottom of the front.. Any idea who seels similar materials? (I believe it's a 1/4" thick rubber).

Guns951 10-27-2005 11:39 AM

John, do you have the single piece front end that GT racing sells? Or did you make a custom one? I'm trying to get in touch with the guys who build the originals, to see if they still have the molds for those front ends, and what the cost would be to get one from them. Obviously my project is at a standstill given my location, but this is my next serious project. Post any pics you have of your work, hopefully we can create a small portion of the enthusiasm for this car that exists for the GT1 series 911's.

fast951 10-27-2005 11:45 AM

I'm using the GT racing one piece front end (the one without the hood). BE WARNED the parts are ok for a race car, NO WAY for a street car. Fitment is poor, takes lots of work to fit. The rear panels are a nightmare to fit on a 944 or 951. Might be easier on a 924... And forget about any durability, they crack easily.
The parts I have look "similar" to the ones in these pictures, but they are NOT the same. There are some differences.. If you notice in the above pictures, these cars seem to be much lower than the actual 944 cars, the hood lines are lower.

95Juan 10-27-2005 01:03 PM

John, would it be possible for a decent body guy to fit those fenders relatively cleanly for a street car? how goddamn cool would that look on a street car?? even if i didnt have the HP to match the look at that point in time, i'd still love to be rolling in that. i have some body shop hookups, so i'm just wondering if fittiement is a MAJOR issue, like, it'll never look like it belongs on a street car.

Oddjob 10-27-2005 01:55 PM

My recollection and understanding is that the few original Trans Am GTRs were a complete tubeframe chasis/body, so that it why the profile and shape of the car looks lower - because dimensionally its not the same as the regular unibody chasis. So my guess is that no original molded body panels from the GTR would fit a standard street car. I recall that GT Racing and AIR have some replacement panels that somewhat mimic the contours of the GTR fenders, etc, but I think it would be impossible to get the exact/true look.

fast951 10-27-2005 02:28 PM

To fit the pieces to a street car, plan on a VERY expensive project and I doubt it will even look good (fitment wise). Just trying to warn you before you commit.. The FG cracks so easy, I doubt it will last any time at all on a street car.

95Juan 10-27-2005 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by fast951
To fit the pieces to a street car, plan on a VERY expensive project and I doubt it will even look good (fitment wise). Just trying to warn you before you commit.. The FG cracks so easy, I doubt it will last any time at all on a street car.

dont they also offer panels in carbon fiber? wouldnt that last a good deal longer/ have a better fittiment?

special tool 10-27-2005 03:45 PM

John - all the cup cars (Nextel) use that material in front.

Charlie944 10-27-2005 08:19 PM

10 Attachment(s)
Here are some pictures from the Rennsport Reunion II at Daytona. I will dig around and see if I can find any more with the body put back on. Interesting thread!

special tool 10-27-2005 08:24 PM

Shazaaaam - I thought I was the AN line King. That thing has me beat.

not by much. :roflmao:

evil 944t 10-27-2005 08:27 PM

I think I just blacked out... Thats pretty impressive!!

shortyboy 10-27-2005 08:37 PM

OMG!i just got chillz down my spine and got chicken skin just looking at that beast!!!looks like it also has a solid lifter setup or somewhat because of the inspection holes on the cam cover.damn,sickness!!!MORE PIX!

silverbullet 10-27-2005 08:49 PM

Oh my God! That engine and all the wonderfully smooth pipework is sooo sick!

I love the look of the 944 racer on the track. The one with the huge vent in the side.................looks so exotic!