Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2005, 10:37 AM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 87 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Special Tool's car is not streetable, so the experts say

Well according to the experts a v8 hybrid with less than 400HP is faster than a 88" Turbo S with 489hp.

Check for yourself

http://www.560sec.com/bulletinboard/viewtopic.php?t=832

Originally Posted by Ty
I've seen on ****list where there's a guy running 533 whp... how much more horsepower can be put through the transaxle before things start to break? :twisted:
Originally Posted by Predator
Ask them how much torque its making. They make big hp numbers, but its torque that moves the car.
Originally Posted by Ty
They state there putting down 472 lbs. of torque and it was done on a mustang dyno.
Thats probably a one time pull with the boost cranked way up. Doubtful if its a street able engine at those levels, at least not for very long. I've raced a 88 951S. Met the guy at a local cruizin' and he was armed with dyno sheet that showed 489 rwhp, much more that I could ever expect from my engine, yet I toasted him in an acceleration, physics, time and distance 'experiment' on the interstate. Over a beer he accused me of having 600 hp, which is a joke. Guess he had 489 'porsche' rwhp? Big hp numbers from small displacement engines just does not make logical sense on the street. With high boost numbers, you'd have to use some serious fuel, or have realitively no ignition advance in the engine to keep from detonating it. I just have a hard time believing some of their claims. I read some of the posts over on the Horsepower Challenged List, and it seems that all of these so-called high horsepower engines are always under construction, or a thought in someone's head, or some other BS. If one ever actually makes it to the street, suddenly you don't hear much about it. I do remember reading about an engine built in southern California that made some sick hp numbers at 42 psi on a one time pull. Seems like it was pushing 900 hp. Think the story read that the guy had invested over $30k in the thing, and it lasted 30 seconds before it puked a rod at 9000 rpm. I've got less than $4k total in my current engine. Lets see how much hp someone can get from their 4-holer with this kind of budget!
Originally Posted by Qwikporsche
Predator

Kinda reminds me of a t-shirt a I saw a guy wearing at a CNY cruise-in a couple times last summer. Around here we get them all . . the ricers, redneck ricers, farmer ricers, welfare ricers, homey ricers, Hip-Hop ricers, white trash wanna-be ricers (the guys with the plywood aero kits and wings), the hopping car crowd, the 5 bazillion watt stereo on wheels crowd, the hopping 5 bazillion watt stereo on wheels crowd, the tuners, the beemer crowd (BTW theres some guys here in utica putting LS1s in BMWs, hear they have a kit out there somewhere, suweeet), the Porsche snobs, the musclecar guys, the pro street guys, hot rodders . . . . . all of em.

Anyway, this was a beemer LS1 guy and his shirt said "My lugnuts require more torque than your Porsche will ever make. . ."

I'm thinkin the same shirt with the Porschev emblem on it . . . wish I thought of it first!!! LOL!

I love it.
Originally Posted by speedracing944
There was a car at 944fest this year which dynoed at over 400hp at the rear wheels. It was a 951 owned by a man who was on his 3rd motor due to experimenting and has over $100,000 stuck into it... or was it $200,000? I can't remember but either way thats alot of money. I have to say the car was the nicest one there. BTW he is not on ****list or anyother internet group.

Speedy

Last edited by lart951; 10-23-2005 at 02:40 PM.
Old 10-23-2005, 11:22 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

These guys are idiots. If the only solution to making big performance was to shove a Chevy V8 into it, everyone would shove Chevy V8s in their cars. Wrongo.

Take a look at DFASTEST951's car - 3.0L FOUR CYLINDER Porsche engine with minimal boost (IIRC it's 11 psi or something) and absolutely absurd hp/torque numbers. Special tool's numbers are NOT the result of just "cranking up the boost" either - it's a well-tuned, well-designed engine.

400 hp / 400 tq. or 450 hp / 450 tq. is the same regardless of where it's coming from. I just prefer mine to come from an engine that was built for the car it's in. These "porchevy" abominations are interesting from a fabrication standpoint, but no more so than Jesse James converting a PT cruiser to a wood chipper.

Besides the fact, who the hell needs 400 hp / 400 tq (or higher) for the street anyway? Hell, unless you're towing locomotive parts, I just don't see the need. It's a small ***** compensation device at that point. Such power only REALLY has a place on the track.

Also, once you get in the 500-ish RWHP range you're going to have one helluva time connecting that to the road as the tires start to become the limiting factor. . . Unless some sort of controller is used (ApecI, etc.)

Want a 'vette? Fine. Buy a 'vette. Want a 951 race car? Fine, build one up. Want a Viper? Get one. I just don't see what it accomplishes - especially with a 944/951 since by the time you're done with the Chevy V8 conversion you have just as much (if not more) time and money in the car as it would to either drop in a 951/968 drivetrain, turbo or s.c. it, or both. What does it really accomplish?

I ain't impressed by any of the conversions I've seen. Some are really nice from a fabrication standpoint, but that's just like gawking over a $10M house - with enough money and time, anything can be done. That doesn't mean it either should be or that it's necessarily better than a more sanely-priced alternative.
Old 10-23-2005, 11:36 AM
User 41221
Banned

Received 172 Likes on 107 Posts

Not a flame here at all, but it's my opinion that anything over 300rwhp in a 951 is not useable on the track, unless you do *significant* suspension and bodywork mods to fit MUCH larger rubber under the car and have Shumaker type driving skills. Yeah, sure you will be faster in a straight line, but thats not driving in my opinion. And its completely ridiculous for a street car...

But it sure is fun tho, eh? I love what Special Tool has done with his car and I expect that he and John aren't done yet.

Regards,

Last edited by User 41221; 10-23-2005 at 11:55 AM.
Old 10-23-2005, 11:53 AM
special tool
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do not run more than 17 psi on the street.
I have new 275 Mensch pilot sport and 60% lsd with fresh rebuild.
Any more boost needs slicks.
Old 10-23-2005, 12:01 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by special tool
I do not run more than 17 psi on the street.
I have new 275 Mensch pilot sport and 60% lsd with fresh rebuild.
Any more boost needs slicks.
So it was you the guy with 489rwhp that retardor destroyed in his imaginary world?
Old 10-23-2005, 12:43 PM
special tool
Banned

What?? He sad he beat me with an LT1??
No, I have never even messed around with any other 944 - except Ted.
Old 10-23-2005, 12:48 PM
special tool
Banned

HAHAHAHA - I just read that.
Asking about torque - hahahaha

I will give ANY 944 on that board the dig and a headstart, and I will crush them by BUSLENGTHS.
If it is not buslengths, I will consider it a loss.

If it is not buslengths, I will consider it a loss. - just in case you missed that the first time.

By the way - I eat C5 ZO6's for breakfast. Its a joke. On pump gas.
And when I see a C6 ZO6 - I am sending his *** back to the dealer, too.
Old 10-23-2005, 02:51 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by special tool
HAHAHAHA - I just read that.
Asking about torque - hahahaha

I will give ANY 944 on that board the dig and a headstart, and I will crush them by BUSLENGTHS.
If it is not buslengths, I will consider it a loss.

If it is not buslengths, I will consider it a loss. - just in case you missed that the first time.

By the way - I eat C5 ZO6's for breakfast. Its a joke. On pump gas.
And when I see a C6 ZO6 - I am sending his *** back to the dealer, too.
Jim I don't think you stand a chance againts Retardor's car his machine is insane I just got some top secret picts.
Attached Images    
Old 10-23-2005, 03:09 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Old 10-23-2005, 03:14 PM
EdC
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In that form it probably doesn't push much air,..... if any. I'd rather be driving my feeble 951S than working to make that roadworthy.
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://www.560sec.com/bulletinboard/viewtopic.php?t=833

Man, that place is full of stuff to laugh at
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Retardors's is mad
http://www.560sec.com/bulletinboard/viewtopic.php?t=833

The ***** (well. a few, anyway) over on the Horsepower Challenged list are trashing us again. To top it all off, either they can't read English, or they don't comprehend the meaning of the words they can read! I guess a paragraph with more than 10 words exceeds their abilities.
Typical attitude, “ I am intellectually superior because I did a v8 swap in my car”
Old 10-23-2005, 03:33 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

you guys at cocktail sausage dicks.com are pathetic losers.

There's ten words for you masterbator.
Old 10-23-2005, 03:34 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

*puts on Predator costume for Halloween*

YOU GUYS ARE STUPID! I'm badass and the *****' of all power builders 'cause now I have a machine I can beat all the grandmas in my neighorhood with! That stupid kid down the street with the Acura? Beat him. By a full car length too! I also beat his buddy with the souped-up Honda! By TWO car lengths. I'm so cool! And yes I beat Vitesse and Special Fool and Dfastest as well. You guys suck. I also beat Michael Schumacher in his F1 car. I rule. My car makes 800 RWHP and 1,240 torque. And I have dyno sheets to prove it. Chevy makes the awesomest engines ever. Your Porsches are crap! I'm leaving now to go tend to my twice-daily *****-enlargement pump ritual.

*takes off Predator costume, retches, pukes, and then returns to normal*

Those pics are priceless. Who wants to place bets on when Pre-Duh-tor ends up spinning that thing into a wall cause it's got no brakes?
Old 10-23-2005, 03:37 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

IF it ever runs

Quick Reply: Special Tool's car is not streetable, so the experts say