Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

WILL THIS CLUTCH JOB EVER BE OVER!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2005, 04:01 PM
littlejt1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry WILL THIS CLUTCH JOB EVER BE OVER!!!

Well, I'd about given up before the speed and ref sensor bracket came off, and came close to the old rag in the gas tank with a lighter at the ready routine.

Next problem, all the bolts (I'd like to find the idiot that put the last clutch in ) were obviously put in with an impact gun, so all but 4 were stripped.

Finally got them all drilled out, and now I'm not entirely sure how the guts comes out. I figured the flywheel teeth would just slip off the plate, but nothing seems to want to move.

Anyone got any ideas on how to finally get this God-forsaken thing out of the car...one of these days I'll get my life back and actually get to enjoy driving it again

As always thanks in advanced!
Old 10-22-2005, 04:11 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Take a chisel and just pop the flywheel teeth off the pressure plate. The Throw out bearing can be installed with a press to help keep pressure on while you insert the retaining ring, with a second set of hands, or....well....by standing on the end of the PP to provide the downforce.....i've done the last a few times, but you really should use a press. The PP bolts strip easily when you take them out if you are using a cheap bit, not because anyone probably used an impact on them. Key is keep the tool straight, and a lot of inward pressure.
Old 10-22-2005, 04:13 PM
littlejt1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the tip...

And...believe me the bolts had to be impacted in...they were stripped before I touched them!! I'm guessing they didn't use a torque wrench and just zipped them in.
Old 10-22-2005, 05:55 PM
Ty
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I feel your pain!! I have the speed and reference sensors out (the wires came out of the back plug because it was stuck and from me twisting and pulling - so I guess I'll have to buy another one - probably from dealer!) but I still have to remove the hex nut bolts. I hope thats the last thing I need to do to drop off the housing! LORD HELP ME PLEASE!!
Old 10-22-2005, 07:36 PM
Bengt Sweden
Pro

Default While in there

...make this mod
Attached Images  
Old 10-22-2005, 08:41 PM
Ty
Advanced

How was that done and will it mess up anything? I wonder why they didn't do it from the factory! It would have saved me an hour and a half!!!!
Old 10-22-2005, 10:08 PM
mark944turbo
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Bengt, that is the best idea I have seen in a while. Thanks for posting that.
Old 10-23-2005, 08:30 AM
Bengt Sweden
Pro

Just cut it with a hacksaw. Only positive effects. It's then easy to get the sensors at the right distance to the screws and then mount the housing afterwards.
Bengt

Quick Reply: WILL THIS CLUTCH JOB EVER BE OVER!!!