Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

yes ANOTHER balance shaft delete question

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2005, 01:49 AM
eniac
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default yes ANOTHER balance shaft delete question

Disclaimer: Yes I did a search already, didn't find what I want.

Ok with that out of the way, does anyone have a detailed description, or write up preferably with pictures, of what is involded to remove the balance shafts AND covers. I know some welding has to be done on the block....but what? Where? I am probably going to get the kit from Scott Gnomes first to see if I like it but that doesn't remove the covers.

I need to know how much work it is going to take to completely remove all of it so I can know what to plan for if I decide to go that route. I'm pulling my enigne this winter so I fiugre if I am ever going to remove the shafts, now is the time.

PLEASE I am NOT asking if I should remove them or not, I am asking HOW I remove them in detail. I've seen way to many arguments on this topic in the searching.

thx
Old 10-21-2005, 03:39 AM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

I want to know this information as well. I have been contemplating the delete. Can it be done while the motor is in the car? I geuss I should search before I ask questions. I have removed my balance shaft belt to see if its decent, and if i can handle it. Its really not bad at all. Vibration is minimal, and limited. I'd like to do it, but I don't know anything about the delete. I'll read up.
~Eyal
Old 10-21-2005, 11:51 AM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I will see if I can locate some pictures of mine, but in a nutshell, once the shafts are removed you weld up all of the oil feed holes except the top center, that you want adapt for the turbo oil feed.
Old 10-21-2005, 01:20 PM
fortysixandtwo
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Scott's kits allow you to remove the balance shafts and still be able to reinstall them at a later date, let's say if you're selling the car and the buyer wants to put the shafts back in. He has them in two styles, one to keep power steering and one that doesn't.

If you plan on welding the block my advise is to have the block welded before you have any other machine work done, as there is a possibility of cracking the block if the welder is clueless. Also if you want to retain power steering, you can just cut the lower balance shaft cover and use the portion under the P/S bracket. You will also need to drill / tap the block for the turbo oil feed tube to replace the factory tube with braided stainless and -AN fittings.

Other than removing all the other associated parts, that's about it for fabrication work. Oh and I have one of Scott's kits that does not retain the power steering, that is for sale. (my block is being welded by Scott)
Old 10-21-2005, 01:54 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

how much?
~Eyal
Old 10-21-2005, 02:04 PM
eniac
Drifting

Some pictures would be great if you can find them.

I've pretty much made up my mind I want the shafts gone. It just depends how much I can budget for this project. I already have -AN fittings and stainless hose for my turbo oil feed line so that part is easy just to tap the hole.

Once it's apart I assume it's opbvious what need to be plugged/welded and which to tap for the oil feed?

Thanks info and replies

Quick Reply: yes ANOTHER balance shaft delete question