Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

1989 Turbos are even more collectible now....

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2005, 06:58 PM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Waterguy
then rises up and does a decreasing radius 90 degree to the left and crosses the freeway. I apexed the turn, then applied a little throttle as I straightened. Next thing I knew, the car had a 911 moment.!

you just pretty much described my wreck.
EVERYONE heed warning of what im about to say.

NEVER EVER EVER EVER NEVER go fast/ moderatly fast/ slightly fast/ give throttle (even a LITTLE bit) when you are on a hill that goes downward and turns while its raining /1 hour after its rained.

same frikin thing happened to me...TWICE! first time i was able to pop the dent out. second time i wasnt so lucky.

ive driven lots of cars in the rain and the 944 is the frist car to be unimaginably unstable on downhill sweepers. blah blah its all drivers error. say what you want but when you give it that extra little tap of gas on that downhill right hander and the rear end comes IMMEDIATLY out from behind. dont say i didnt warn you.

i dont know what it is. maybe the rear suspention doesnt like being lifted up slightly and having to grip the road. not enough travel maybe? but everytime im in the rain now im scared out of my wits ill total my new car too....
Old 10-21-2005, 07:02 PM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

and BTW....i was going 35-40. WELL in the 944 capability. and well in my driving capabilities...its something about those turns..but only when wet.
Old 10-21-2005, 07:13 PM
951North
Pro

Originally Posted by Campeck
you just pretty much described my wreck.
EVERYONE heed warning of what im about to say.

NEVER EVER EVER EVER NEVER go fast/ moderatly fast/ slightly fast/ give throttle (even a LITTLE bit) when you are on a hill that goes downward and turns while its raining /1 hour after its rained.

same frikin thing happened to me...TWICE! first time i was able to pop the dent out. second time i wasnt so lucky.

ive driven lots of cars in the rain and the 944 is the frist car to be unimaginably unstable on downhill sweepers. blah blah its all drivers error. say what you want but when you give it that extra little tap of gas on that downhill right hander and the rear end comes IMMEDIATLY out from behind. dont say i didnt warn you.

i dont know what it is. maybe the rear suspention doesnt like being lifted up slightly and having to grip the road. not enough travel maybe? but everytime im in the rain now im scared out of my wits ill total my new car too....

Dan/Campeck what tire size stagger are you running? Suspension modifications? Spring weights, sway bars, tire pressures? Just curious if your setups were stock or modified?

Jason
Old 10-21-2005, 09:59 PM
bearone
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by 951North
This is outrageous!

Was it BC Provincial Police or RCMP? Boy if you had time/inclination I'd seriously fight that ticket and try to bring some of the blame against the Province of BC. Is there any signage indicating "Slippery when Wet"?

I cringe when I think about dealing with insurance companies... Good luck.
"slippery when wet", what a new concept and you really think they'll post signs.

maybe they could make signs to put in the back of the car,"i'm an idiot, i drive fast in the rain because i have rain tires and have superior driving skills".
Old 10-21-2005, 10:27 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

WARNING: If you have koni adjustable shocks set stiffer than half on the rear with the stock springs. The rear will not rebound quickly enough on down hill sweepers. I learned this when I went off on turn 7 at a Bridge hampton event in 1994 in the rain. The car spun about 8 times. I was carrying some good speed. About 75 to 80 mph. Believe it or not there was no damage to the car but I had to shovel out about 25 lbs of sand that came into the passenger side window.
Old 10-23-2005, 01:42 AM
951North
Pro

Originally Posted by bearone
"slippery when wet", what a new concept and you really think they'll post signs.

maybe they could make signs to put in the back of the car,"i'm an idiot, i drive fast in the rain because i have rain tires and have superior driving skills".

Originally Posted by Waterguy
951North: The tires were well scrubbed in, and had worked great on the morning drive in the rain. I suspect poor pavement quality. The pavement at that location is worn to rounded aggregate, with no asphalt binder on the surface; very slippery. There had been another accident on that same ramp earlier that morning. The highway maintenance guy that stopped traffic while my car was being recovered mentioned that the ramp had a very high incidence of accidents in the rain, and wondered when "they" were going to get around to fixing it. When I went back to photograph the site, I noticed that the concrete barriers on the outside of the curve had a VERY large number of scrapes from cars sliding off the outside of the corner. (I still can't figure out how I slid off the INSIDE of the corner!)
Of course things get slippery when wet, like I said before warning signs should warn of abnormal conditions, otherwise they would be useless.

Jason.
Old 10-23-2005, 04:01 PM
SCAN Automotive
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Don,
I am also selling my other Porsche, a 2003 C4S, if you are so inclined to stay with the water-cooled side!
Old 10-23-2005, 09:36 PM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jimbo1111
WARNING: If you have koni adjustable shocks set stiffer than half on the rear with the stock springs. The rear will not rebound quickly enough on down hill sweepers. I learned this when I went off on turn 7 at a Bridge hampton event in 1994 in the rain. The car spun about 8 times. I was carrying some good speed. About 75 to 80 mph. Believe it or not there was no damage to the car but I had to shovel out about 25 lbs of sand that came into the passenger side window.
oh F*CK....i just finished putting on brand new koni yellows on full stiff in the rear the other day.

i really dont feel like stripping those lower bolts again....CRAP!

(944's dont have springs in the back. but i guess you mean stock TB's or if you put springs on..which i plan to do..)
Old 10-23-2005, 09:38 PM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 951North
Dan/Campeck what tire size stagger are you running? Suspension modifications? Spring weights, sway bars, tire pressures? Just curious if your setups were stock or modified?

Jason
i had 225 on the back and 205 on the front. 26mm swaybar up front with stock springs and new boge inserts.
the back was (getting a little mushy) boge shocks with 18 mm swaybar (set pretty stiff with serge's droplinks) and stock TB's.

Quick Reply: 1989 Turbos are even more collectible now....