Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum-72/)
-   -   Too much hp-talk, let's talk real life numbers! (https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum/232205-too-much-hp-talk-lets-talk-real-life-numbers.html)

jimbo1111 10-27-2005 12:54 AM

It is illegal to run at those speeds in the US. If I could find somewhere off road I would most definitely get in on this challenge. Think of it this way. Most of you guys don't go on the dyno because there is not one in close proximity to you. But if there was. You would be there. Plus it's much easier to fib about the data collected without a second entity or standard testing device.

AlexE 10-27-2005 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by 951Obsession
interesting that like, 20% of people that post on this thread actually post numbers, and instead make up bull**** about how "there's no real way to do it" or how someone's measuring is flawed.

If I may speak for the 80% silent majority.........

Ditto what Jimbo said.............and I would add that this is one notch away from bench racing.

hosrom_951 10-27-2005 01:34 AM

Originally Posted by 951Obsession
interesting that like, 20% of people that post on this thread actually post numbers, and instead make up bull**** about how "there's no real way to do it" or how someone's measuring is flawed.

Valid

And for those using manual boost controllers, it is amazing since you go WOT on 4th gear to set the boost (hitting those speeds and higher) and yet you don't carry this test........

It's okay.........the track and empty airfields are also dangerous :)

jimbo1111 10-27-2005 09:20 AM

Quote: It's okay.........the track and empty airfields are also dangerous.

Yes! Dangerous to yourself but not others. I have driven in europe many times. The posted speed limit was 80k but everybody was over well over 120k. It's not like that here. We actually have enforcement. The congestion is also an issue.

ehall 10-27-2005 09:48 AM

"Yes! Dangerous to yourself but not others. I have driven in europe many times. The posted speed limit was 80k but everybody was over well over 120k. It's not like that here. We actually have enforcement. The congestion is also an issue."

Well said. In addition, any idiot can get a driver's license here, and it takes more than failing to move into the right lane to lose one. They are cheap, and the fines minimal when compared to Europe. Ther just isn't the same appreciation for competent, and safe driving here. We're also vere litigious, so an airport won't let us come run there, due to threat of lawsuits. SUX! :banghead:

95Juan 10-27-2005 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by jimbo1111
It is illegal to run at those speeds in the US. If I could find somewhere off road I would most definitely get in on this challenge. Think of it this way. Most of you guys don't go on the dyno because there is not one in close proximity to you. But if there was. You would be there. Plus it's much easier to fib about the data collected without a second entity or standard testing device.

ok- i cant go to a dyno #1- because i cant afford dyno time, #2- because i dont think it's useful, aside from maybe getting a good A/F ratio down. so what do i do? not post on the dyno thread. if you cant make the runs, you can post, but dont tell people "oh, it's not real numbers because of X reason that i just made up" or "well, it's not comparable to a side-by-side comparo" the thread was supposed to be about posting numbers. if you cant even find a back road, then dont tell those of us who can that our numbers/measuring methods are faulty. and dont get on the "it's illegal on city streets in the US" high horse either. if you've ever gone 70 in a 65- guess what, you're breaking the law.

hosrom_951 10-27-2005 12:55 PM

Then why do you guys go for more power?

You guys are talking as if you bought Ferrari's, yet drive them like Camry's or something :p

You never set the boost before with MBC? never went above the speed limit in the 951? for tuning/fun reasons?

" the thread was supposed to be about posting numbers"

Well said.......having 1000hp is nothing if you can't use them right? :)

Dyno's give you numbers........the way the car reacts to real world conditions is completely different.

MPD47 10-27-2005 01:05 PM

Sorry I think I must've missed this through all the bickering, finger pointing, etc. But was it ever decided if this was rolling through (WOT) the 100km/h mark or from a steady pace and hitting it?

Not that I have a car that can do this anyway. :rolleyes:

hosrom_951 10-27-2005 01:08 PM

Mike: All my numbers were done from a steady pace of 100kpr (62mph), never tried it from a roll (accelerating from 1st, 2nd etc...)

David Floyd 10-27-2005 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by MPD47
But was it ever decided if this was rolling through (WOT) the 100km/h mark or from a steady pace and hitting it?

I did WOT at 80 km then start clock at 100 km

Might be eaiser for more people to do a 4000-6000 RPM 3rd gear pull, WOT at 3000 then start time at 4000 rpm. Konstantin has posted some times like this in the past.

95Juan 10-27-2005 01:17 PM

i believe it was supposed to be roll on from 80km, start the clock at 100 like david said. i did it like that, and from a steady pace, numbers didnt differentiate much, not much as in, not like a whole second.

toddk911 10-27-2005 03:16 PM

I always thought, as in the 60-100mph, it was to hold at the given speed, then go WOT.

95Juan 10-27-2005 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by toddk911
I always thought, as in the 60-100mph, it was to hold at the given speed, then go WOT.

i think going 40-100 or 50-100 and starting the clock when the needle hits 60, and stopping at 100 is better, since you're not waiting for boost, you're not waiting for the TB to open up, it's already open, and full boost should be attained already. less variables. that's how i do it.

then again, i guess the best way to get a real calculated MPH is having the police run a radar gun on you.....but they dont like to do that without issuing you a ticket......

David Floyd 11-14-2005 12:59 PM

Something to compare our numbers too.

If you happen to run across one of these, best give some respect :bowdown:

http://www.ultimacars.com/index.htm

Ultima Sports Ltd. sets world beating, certified performance records for road cars
with American Speed 377 c.i. Chevy engine.
0-60 2.7 sec.
0-100 5.5 sec.
0-150 11.8 sec.
30-70 2.0 sec.
0-100-0 10.3 sec.
1/4 mile 10.5 sec. @140 mph
top speed 231 mph (gearing limited)

Markus951 12-30-2005 04:31 PM

According to that post you have the fastest 2.5 liter 951 for now, at least from 100-200 its the fastest. Its 0.1 second slower then Enzo and 0.2 second faster than Carrera GT. Can you tell us what is you engine spec? You are still running 2.5 liter and GT30R (some sort of). Have you reduced the weight of the car?

Did a new run at sunday two days ago. Temp was 48 F compared to 68 at my 7,3 seconds run.

New time: 7,1 seconds

Im happy