Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Rennlist Top 10 HP/TQ

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2005, 12:09 PM
TRWright
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pk, there are 100 million other factors. Boost isn't even a good one to take into consideration because it is not as simple as "just cranking it up." If that was the case, everyone would do it.
Old 08-14-2005, 12:10 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by NZ951
Sadly there isnt a dynojet dyno in the South Island...

http://www.twinturbov8.com/dynostuff.htm

Sounds like a business opportunity... Anybody know what a base dynojet costs?
Old 08-14-2005, 12:15 PM
special tool
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NO!!!! This is a common misconception among Porsche guys!

You will read a lot of guys here who say that they dynoed at 18 psi because it is realistic - that is basically bull****ing****.

Turbos and engines run out of efficiency! For example - a k26 will NOT MAKE ANY MORE POWER AFTER 19 PSI (at most).

If you are at the dyno (this inherently means you are a "type A personality" - like it, or not) you are turning up that ****ing boost as high as it will go to get your best number to brag to your buddies. That's the way it is.

If you make a submission to this list with an excuse attached to it - YOU ARE A PUNK - AND YOU ARE INSULTING....ME, SCOTT, CHRIS PRACK, DEFASTEST, ETC - everyone who who concedes the validity of this thread.

If you want to be a man - step up wth your best number and I will bow down and say "good ****ing job."

Boost only - no happy juice.
Old 08-14-2005, 12:58 PM
pk951
Burning Brakes

The point i was trying to make was boost is a factor with the mods guys have on these cars most of the cars on the list are not stock, and were not talking about k/26 turbos. Ted boost is a factor, on the list a few guys made close 300WHP with 26/ turbos at high boost with nothing more than a tial WG and a good set of chips.Not everybody who went to the dyno was after peak numbers, they were there for tunning, and then made a run at 19-psi to see what they would get. So here everybody hit the dyno in the future at the same psi set at whatever 25psi then we could comepare, not were there six psi or more in boost difference.
Old 08-14-2005, 01:15 PM
RKD in OKC
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

This is very similar to when people talk about the top speed of their cars. Some guys talk about the top speed their car should be able to achieve by horsepower and gearing but have never been above 120 mph or so. To me the top speed of your car is the highest speed YOU feel comfortable enough to take it. That is part of what it takes to have a fast car. The handling to make it feel safe enough to drive it at those speeds. My Boxster S was supposed to have a top speed of 168, and there are some that have driven them at those speeds. My Boxster S would only go 140 because it felt too twitchy at that speed for me to try to go any faster. So for me the top speed of my Boxster S was 140. I used to have a 928 GT. It handled much better at higher speeds and I felt comfortable enough to take it to 165. That still wasn't the factory stated top speed, but that was what I felt safe doing.

Same thing with the dyno dude. If you have a car that you feel comfortable cranking up the boost to get higher numbers, you should be able to tout them. That is part of building up a high horsepower motor just like handling is part of having a high speed car.
Old 08-14-2005, 01:34 PM
pk951
Burning Brakes

RDK

Not realy you are limited by the guy who is driving the car, does not mean to say the car won't go any faster. Same for boost on an old tub with headgasket that falling apart the guy might be a bit apprehensive, does mean he wont get higher hp numbers if that apprehensen was not there.
Old 08-14-2005, 01:46 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by ehall
****** alert! maybe we've figured out where Timex learned it. Sorry Ted, you can ban me now. yep 2.503 IS WAY TOO MUCH!
101mm bores with a stock 2.5 (78.9mm) crank is about 2529cc's -- or about 50cc's over a standard motor.

A one-over motor (101.5mm bores) makes about 2504cc's.

If there is an appetite for being ****, how about a chart showing horsepower per cc? Porsche people have been bragging about their "specific output" for years, we'd just be joining the party.
Old 08-14-2005, 01:46 PM
OriginalSterm
Race Car

so the list should be broken up into very specific categories...

stock turbo, stock chips, stock boost, 100k miles, stock wheels, at sea level, with the headlights on...

stock turbo, vitesse chips, stock boost, 100k miles, stock wheels, at sea level, with the headlights on...

etc.

if so, i will most definitely be leading the stock turbo, 15 psi boost, stock displacement, with the headlights on, in rochester ny on a saturday. NZ, can you reorganize you lists to very specific to exactly how my car is setup so it's a true apples to apples comparison?

Old 08-14-2005, 03:24 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Yup I am on it Sterm... I dont know why I didnt do it earlier!

Now if I can just find out where a dynojet is!
Old 08-14-2005, 05:20 PM
RobNL
Instructor

Originally Posted by special tool
Boost only - no happy juice.
Ok, in that case I've misread your previous post on that 472 WHP run and the post of tedwright.
Here is another tidbit for anyone who cares - all runs today were on 50 % xylene and 50% 93 pump. I have never experimented with this high a content of xylene because I was worried about possible ignition difficulties. However, I would say that the gamble paid off. The 951 wedge likes straight aromatics - it is as simple as that.
By the way, 50/50 xylene/93 yields an octane of about 105 - and a voracious flame front speed.
Originally Posted by tedwright
Well, went to the dyno with special tool and TurboX today. I made 371.2 at 5350 rpms on the mustang dyno. (369 ft/lbs TQ at about 5000) This was at 23.5 PSI on a race fuel mixture.
Or do you mean that nobody but you is allowed to run on happy juice?
Old 08-14-2005, 05:32 PM
special tool
Banned

Nitrous oxide, man.

Did you REALLY think I meant not using race fuel???
Old 08-14-2005, 05:38 PM
RobNL
Instructor

Nitrous oxide, man.

Did you REALLY think I meant not using race fuel???
Yep, I questioned before about boost and race fuel and you said boost only.
Old 08-14-2005, 05:41 PM
special tool
Banned

Right - boost only man. No nitrous oxide.

Run any fuel - race, tolene, meth, water,etc.
Old 08-14-2005, 05:41 PM
RKD in OKC
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

PK951,

Sorry, that don't float with me. If it's your car, then YOUR top speed in YOUR car is only as fast as YOU are willing to drive it. Therefore, that's your car's top speed. It doesn't make any differnce if someone else driving your car is willing to take more risk, or if your car has more potential. If YOU aren't willing to drive it any faster then that is YOUR cars top speed.

Same thing goes with max boost. If you aren't willing to crank it up and someone else is and makes more hp, then they beat your max hp. No matter what the mechanical potential of either car is. It's called competition.

I really don't have a problem if you want to make more categories. However, with all the different combinations out there, where do you draw the lines between the categories. Someone will always come up with something to tweak their car to get the top spot in their category that some else doesn't have or can't afford. Then there is ALWAYS the whole thing about tuning the car to make a specific boost range. You can go nuts here sizing intakes, headers, turbo, injectors, etc.

And how about the guy that figures out how to crank the revs up to over 8000 rpm. He is going to make more hp. Are you going to limit the rpm the hp peak can be made at too?

All that being said, I would like to see everyone just submit their dyno charts and list their components. That way everyone can get an idea of what is possible with which components.
Old 08-14-2005, 06:16 PM
pk951
Burning Brakes

Rkd

What your'e saying is the car is only as fast as the driver,yes but the car is capable of much more, so in the hands of some one else the car will achieve a higher speed the driver was the factor not the capabley of the car.As far as boost goes i don't think you can compare, all things being equal as far as mods go 18-psi to 25-psi does not add up. Of course 25-psi will make more power. Have everyone do a dyno run at 25-psi. Then were talking the same thing 25-psi to 25-psi not a difference 6 -psi.

Quick Reply: Rennlist Top 10 HP/TQ