Q’s about Oil Filter Housing……

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2005, 01:11 PM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q’s about Oil Filter Housing……

I’ve been putting a motor together and ran into an odd situation so I need someone (preferably with actual experience) to refresh my memory. When installing the housing on the block, is the OPRV supposed to slide into the guide sleeve that protrudes from the block about 10mm? I’m not talking about the intermediate sleeve that goes between the block and housing with the two o-rings, but the one that sits on the lower portion of the block and is just pressed into the block.

I’ve done this a dozen times and never had an issue but for some reason when I install the housing with the guide sleeve fully installed into the block, only the tip of the OPRV will go into the sleeve and it just stops when the main body comes to the sleeve and doesn’t allow you to thread the OPRV into the housing. It almost seems as if the body of the OPRV main body is 1mm too thick now? There was an issue with the original sleeve so I purchased another one and it’s identical in every aspect and it’s fully seated in the block. PN’s for the sleeves are consistent throughout the years. I didn’t notice any issues during disassembly.

The OPRV and housing is from an 87 and going on an 86 block. The blocks are identical in this area and PET shows the sleeve is used on all years. The OPRV does appear to be a three piece as it has a spring, main body, and a threaded cap.

TIA.
Old 05-25-2005, 02:15 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

Hey Jeremy
Hope all is well
Here is Tom's Website He did a whole write up on this
I didn't really pay attention to his write up as I have no plans
to replace mine but it might prove helpful ?
If its not, you may want to email him to see if he may know of this anomaly ?
Tom's Website
http://members.rennlist.com/tom86951/

good luck
regards
Ed
Old 05-25-2005, 05:05 PM
cruise98
Three Wheelin'

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

You need to use the OPRV from the '86 engine. They are different than the later engines.
Old 05-25-2005, 05:28 PM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Guys thanks for the responses but maybe I was a bit unclear on what I'm looking for. I need to know if the OPRV is supposed to fit into the guide sleeve that is pressed into the block. At this point I can't get the OPRV to go into the sleeve far enough to reach the bottom of the oil passage in the block. When fitted with or without the housing it will only allow the tip of the OPRV to go into the sleeve and sticks at the main body.

The 86 and 87 blocks are the same in this area as are the oil housing. The only difference between the two years are the OPRV itself but they are interchangeable between blocks. The OPRV will not fit through the sleeve when installed on either block. I'm 99.9% positive that it should go through the sleeve but I never really paid much attention to it because it was never an issue and I never had to remove the sleeve. If it should go into the sleeve, then I know I have a damaged OPRV. Someone with a motor on a stand or the housing removed would be extremely helpful here.
Old 05-25-2005, 06:14 PM
z3bra
Racer

Jeremy, I need to pull mine anyway to replace the one o-ring that I didn't last year so I can check later today for you if you'd like. Hell I could probably go pull it right now but the garage is a bit on the toasty side. I've got most of the stuff around it out of the way so it's basically just a matter of unbolting the housing piece itself. I'll let ya know in a bit here.

I've also got the Belaying Pin / alignment tool if you need to use it.
Old 05-25-2005, 06:29 PM
special tool
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hold on Jeremy - let me put in a call to Hosrom - I'll get back to you when he gives me the information.

Old 05-25-2005, 06:54 PM
fortysixandtwo
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeremy Himsel
The 86 and 87 blocks are the same in this area as are the oil housing. The only difference between the two years are the OPRV itself but they are interchangeable between blocks.
The steel tube that is pressed into the blocks are different between the 86 and 87+ blocks. You will need an oil pressure regulator for the 86. Regulators for the 86 are available as an updated version that address whatever problems prompted the change for 87.
Old 05-25-2005, 06:54 PM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

That is too funny. The first time I laughed out loud all day. People walking by my office actually stopped to see what was going on.
Old 05-25-2005, 07:05 PM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fortysixandtwo
The steel tube that is pressed into the blocks are different between the 86 and 87+ blocks. You will need an oil pressure regulator for the 86. Regulators for the 86 are available as an updated version that address whatever problems prompted the change for 87.
**** now you have me really confused. I pulled the sleeve from the 87 block to put it in the 86 block but it got chewed up so I picked up another one. The PN's from PET show the exact # from 84 to 88. I also checked the ID, OD and installed depth of the old and new sleeves between the blocks and they measure exact. My belief was that the update on the OPRV for 86 was removing the 3 peice that was installed (had a tendacy to stick and bind) and replace it with an 87 1 piece.

The real kicker to it is I can't get the 87 OPRV to fit in the original sleeve in the original 87 block anymore which was my head scratcher. But I take it from your post that you are confirming my belief that the OPRV does slide through this sleeve when installed?
Old 05-25-2005, 07:39 PM
cruise98
Three Wheelin'

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

The later ('87 on) blocks do not have the sleeve. What are the casting #'s on the "87" block?

I have a late block, housing and OPRV on the shelf at home. The later OPRV's are longer than the earlier versions too.

Technical Bulletin #3 states specifically that the sleeve is used only from '83-'86. I have seen several late blocks and none of them had sleeves.

From the Bulletin #3 "...sleeve secured with loctite 648 or 638. Drive the sleeve to stop with special tool 9215."

Part # for the updated one piece early OPRV is 944.107.035.11 with o-ring 944.107.935.11

Seal ring is the same for all years N 043.815.3

The late housings work on the early block.

Hopefully, this will help. Sounds like the block you believe to be an '87 has either been "repaired" or is really an '86 casting. It would not surprise me if the factory had a few left over and used them up in early '87 production. But that is just a theory.
Old 05-26-2005, 06:22 PM
z3bra
Racer

Ok, Jeremy, just pulled my housing, With the 3 piece valve, you've got the threaded part that threads into the filter housing, the spring, and the piston itself. The piston goes into that sleeve. On mine the pison can be pushed all the way into the sleeve so that the end closest to the housing is flush with the tip of the pressed in sleeve. It moves smoothly with no binding. It rides in an oil film so it's smooth but it is a very close fit. Only the piston goes into the sleeve (well I guess the spring being inside the piston does as well technically). The threaded piece should be a good inch or so away fromt he tip of the pressed in sleeve and basically the little cavity in the housing that's teardrop shaped, if you look into it, the tip of the threaded piece should be about flush with the inside surface of the cavity. Basically, where the threads end with it threaded in all the way is right where the cavity portion begins.

If you're putting the updated one in, my guess is that the updated one piece valve for retrofitting is different than the standard one-piece valve. This makes sense as I'm sure that Porsche didn't want to pay the labor to pull the whole housing when they can just have a tech pull the valve and slap a new one in there. 30 min labor vs. 3 hours or so.

I just looked in PET, and if you notice, the guide sleeve has -86 after it as well as the valves having separate part numbers for 86 vs 87. The valve in the diagram is a one-piece only. I wouldn't go solely on this, there's probably lots of cases where the diagram isn't as accurate as it should be, but it does make sense that the retrofitted piece would be different so as not to need to pull the whole housing vs just the valve piece.

My bet is that if you get an 86 replacement one-piece and measure it compared to an 87+ one piece it's going to have a slightly smaller OD and a few other differences.
Old 05-26-2005, 06:42 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by special tool
Hold on Jeremy - let me put in a call to Hosrom - I'll get back to you when he gives me the information.

HA!

Quick Reply: Q’s about Oil Filter Housing……