Letterman had a 944 Turbo.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2005, 08:02 PM
washington951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Letterman had a 944 Turbo.....

ok - this HAS to be a 951 that he's talking about (from todays USA Today interview - sports section - its reallly good)

Q: What's the fastest you've driven in any car?

A: In North America the fastest was 140 mph; I used to have one of those old Porsche four-cylinder, turbocharged, I can't remember what it was. But anyway, it was 140 on the (Long Island Expressway).

In Germany, it was 150 mph on the Autobahn in a (Porsche) 911 Carerra, and I was passed by a Mercedes-Benz station wagon with a family of six coming home from church. My girlfriend and I had to pull off the road, and it took me a few minutes to stop trembling. This Mercedes-Benz kept edging up behind me and flashing its lights, and so I'd squeeze the throttle and think, 'This guy has no reason to pass me, I'm doing 120,' and then I take it up to 150 and he goes around me on the inside. I had to get off at the rest stop for a minute. He wasn't even breaking a sweat.

(http://www.usatoday.com/sports/motor...dy-cover_x.htm)
Old 05-23-2005, 08:07 PM
special tool
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's funny - I saw him once in New Canaan in his Testarini, but I didn't know he had a 951.
Old 05-23-2005, 08:10 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Couldn't have been. You NEVER forget a 951.
Old 05-23-2005, 08:59 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

special tool: So you live new Lime Rock? If so, thats my old stomping ground. I went to Skip Barber there, and raced for yrs in IMSA there too. We can meet up there if you like Mr. "Dyno Master?" We can rent Formula Dodges for the day and do some testing and have some seat time. Want to do that?

P.S We are all still waiting for that "infamous" dyno sheet that you seem so RELUCTANT to post so everyone can see those curves. And why is that?

Signed,

Mr. Chicken Avatar
Old 05-23-2005, 09:11 PM
special tool
Banned

Dude, I have posted it a bunch of times. Maybe it was one night when you got to drinking and bragging (totally unsolicited) about the good old days in IMSA.

And I am not challenging you to driving, trust fund. I am challenging you to the dyno. If I am going to drive with you, then you are going to pour concrete with me - how do you think you'll measure up to that, son?

Ready anytme you are! Bring it up here!!
Old 05-23-2005, 09:20 PM
bearone
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by washington951
ok - this HAS to be a 951 that he's talking about (from todays USA Today interview - sports section - its reallly good)

Q: What's the fastest you've driven in any car?

A: In North America the fastest was 140 mph; I used to have one of those old Porsche four-cylinder, turbocharged, I can't remember what it was. But anyway, it was 140 on the (Long Island Expressway).

In Germany, it was 150 mph on the Autobahn in a (Porsche) 911 Carerra, and I was passed by a Mercedes-Benz station wagon with a family of six coming home from church. My girlfriend and I had to pull off the road, and it took me a few minutes to stop trembling. This Mercedes-Benz kept edging up behind me and flashing its lights, and so I'd squeeze the throttle and think, 'This guy has no reason to pass me, I'm doing 120,' and then I take it up to 150 and he goes around me on the inside. I had to get off at the rest stop for a minute. He wasn't even breaking a sweat.

(http://www.usatoday.com/sports/motor...dy-cover_x.htm)
you're like so many folks, married to the left lane and can't concieve of anyone wanting to pass you.

it's a passing lane and in germany/austria it's illegal to pass on the inside lane, nice work, you really showed your stuff.

Old 05-23-2005, 09:26 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Special: Repost it or give me the link. I want to see it. And I am going to pour concrete with you? Must be a thing where you live up there. Never heard that one, "son". Out of curiousity Special, how old are you? This should be a good one too.

And so you dont want to drive <chicken>, but would rather hide behind a car and do dyno pulls? LOL. Oh gee. Well, as I have said to someone else, any monkey with a zillion dollars can spend in on an engine and win the "bragging rights". But there is a huge difference in being able to drive.

So pick the day at Lime Rock, anyday.... And by the way when I do get a new MAF, I will do some runs, and then let the results speak for themselves.

Still waiting for that dyno sheet too. Let me see it. I want to start whole new thread on it, just in praise of your 24PSI pull! You are sooooo the man. Letterman would be so proud of you. Oh wait, that's right, Letterman only sponsors real drivers with talent, not "dyno masters". Sorry, I guess you're **** out of luck?

Old 05-23-2005, 09:29 PM
special tool
Banned

Uh-oh - I see you have opened up a six-pack of ***** again tonight. Better go hit a meeting, man.
Old 05-23-2005, 09:31 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Where is the DYNO SHEET? Give me the link?

Mr. Chicken.
Old 05-23-2005, 09:46 PM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Can you guys keep it in PM please? I have alot of respect for both your cars, but christ unless this is in total jest and I missed it you sound LIKE CHILDREN.
Old 05-23-2005, 09:49 PM
special tool
Banned

I aspire to childishness!
Old 05-23-2005, 09:51 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Dyno Sheets?
Old 05-23-2005, 09:53 PM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

PM!
Old 05-23-2005, 09:57 PM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rolex, what's your deal man? I just read a few of your threads and you're coming across as a bigger ***** then I do.
Old 05-23-2005, 10:05 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Jeremy Himsel: Dude, take it easy. All I want to see is his dyno sheets. And I am a *****? Gee, thats nice.

Its very simple, where is his dyno sheet for the 24PSI pull. Can you supply the link? And my point was simple, everyone focuses on the cars and peak numbers. No one EVER talks about driving skills, never. And I know that this board isnt meant for that per say, but still, that needs to be considered. Thats all, I am done. No harm meant at all. I actually think Special has a fast *** car for a 2.5, I do. But he is relentless with this stuff about "come up near me and we can do some dyno runs, and I will spot you 20 HP? I think he better drop with the ego crap, for someone (if not me) will spank his 2.5L real, real bad. And for what it's worth, as of right now, not to brag but my car makes my RWHP, and at a much lower PSI, and on pump too, period. Thats uncontested.

Again, any damn idiot who has a boatload to spend can build a sick engine. Anyone. And trust me, when I do my pulls at higher levels, I will be the first to post them in honor of the "dyno master" himself.

Ok, I vented, Special can have the floor....

Quick Reply: Letterman had a 944 Turbo.....