Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Still no starting

Old 04-11-2005, 11:15 PM
Ian Carr
That Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Still no starting

Well after messing around with the ref sensor and TDC sensor my car will still not start (any one who doesn't know i rebuilt the motor and this is the first time trying to start it) We are not getting any spark. We played with the two sensors for atleast 3 days. We opened up the DME relay and it looks beautiful. The DME is just fine cause we put Special Tools DME in there. We tried two different KLR chips (guru and stock)

One weird thing is that when we PULLED OUT the DME RELAY we get a rmp read on the dash. When we PUT THE DME RELAY BACK IN we get no rpm reading on the dash. Maybe the relay is just broken and it looks alright. IDK i could use any help because if we don't get it running it is going to the porsche mechanic where it will probably stay for another billion months.

Help

-Ian
Old 04-11-2005, 11:28 PM
aixgelo78
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dont take offence to this, but is the ground good? I had a problem once when I raplaced a clutch on one of my cars. My budy did not ground it right and I checked cam angle sensor, crank angle.....ect and it turned out to be a bad ground. I just cleaned the connection and it started fine.

chris
Old 04-11-2005, 11:34 PM
Ian Carr
That Guy
Rennlist Member

humm... we connected the main ground to the clutch case or w/e where it mounts to stock. Maybe its all corroded. But we have interior lights and all the electric stuff works. IDK ill check if there is ant voltage going through the wire tomorrow (there should be no voltage through the ground wire correct?)

Any thing else to check for? We already jumpered the security system so thats not a problem.
Old 04-12-2005, 12:20 AM
aixgelo78
Instructor

I had interior lights, the starter cranked.........ect everything seamed to be working fine, thats why I started replacing sensors. The main physical ground to the block/tranny was connected, to a metal braket and then to the block. Gound had continuity to the block but it was not good enough. Meticulously clean the connectors of the ground and even scuff the contact points to make a solid ground. This may not fix everything, but it will eliminate one possibility.

let me know what happens
regards chris
aixgelo78@aol.com
Old 04-12-2005, 12:21 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Try a different KLR box not just the chips.. Make sure the KLR chip is inserted properly.. If the chip is inserted wrong there is a good chance the chip will go bad..
Old 04-12-2005, 12:37 AM
Ian Carr
That Guy
Rennlist Member

Hey fast951. I will see if ST will let me use his klr to see if that fixes some thing. p.s. Jim put the chips in for me so i sure hope he knows what he is doing

Ill definitely try the ground tomorrow
Old 04-12-2005, 12:50 AM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=TurboX]Jim put the chips in for me so i sure hope he knows what he is doing QUOTE]

That explains it. Take it to PepBoys and have them reinstall the chips, it'll probably start right up.
Old 04-12-2005, 08:35 AM
Ian Carr
That Guy
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=Jeremy Himsel]
Originally Posted by TurboX
Jim put the chips in for me so i sure hope he knows what he is doing QUOTE]

That explains it. Take it to PepBoys and have them reinstall the chips, it'll probably start right up.
Old 04-12-2005, 02:02 PM
special tool
Banned

[QUOTE=TurboX]Jim put the chips in for me so i sure hope he knows what he is doing QUOTE]

bastards
Old 04-12-2005, 03:01 PM
Ian Carr
That Guy
Rennlist Member

Any other sugestions? I need to get my car started i don't want to bring it to the mechanic!

-Ian
Old 04-12-2005, 03:18 PM
Mike S
Three Wheelin'

Does the tach jump when turning it over? If not, did you run the test on the reference sensors per Clark's Garage? www.clarks-garage.com
Old 04-12-2005, 03:50 PM
Ian Carr
That Guy
Rennlist Member

already tested them... they have resistance and what not....

Cleaned the ground and reconnected still nothing... :-\
Old 04-12-2005, 05:11 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

How did you set the speed/ref sensor depth? If your tach is not bouncing they might not be picking up the flywheel teeth.

-Joel
Old 04-12-2005, 07:19 PM
Ian Carr
That Guy
Rennlist Member

we just did volt testing and both of the sensors are getting a reading when the motor is turning over. the TDC sensor bolt was not down tight before but now it is and we now get a reading from it. But still no spark I went over and snagged Special Tools KLR but still nothing. Im afraid off to the mechanic it goes soon if this biotch dont start... why o why does my car hate me?

-Ian
Old 04-12-2005, 07:27 PM
Waterguy
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you tried removing the DME relay and jumpering the connections? How about bypassing the alarm module? If the tach is not jumping then it sounds like a problem with DME relay, DME, chips, sensors or alarm module. Is the battery still strong? The DME will not turn on the fuel pump unless the car is turning over at 300 rpm or faster (jumpering the DME relay will bypass this.)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Still no starting