Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

headlight motor

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2005, 03:21 PM
gandore
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default headlight motor

My headlight motorwas working fine and then it stopped. Thinking i checked the fuses i pulled the motor and checked it on a battery charger and everything appeared to be working fine. So I plugged it back in and still had nothing working, after this i went over my fuses again and found out my #2 fuse was blown.

Now, I can manually lower the lights and when I turn them on the headlights go up and back down (but not fully down about 1" of travel needed) and stop. I tried disconnecting the headlights with the motor in and putting them into the up position but then when i turn them off they will not move down. If i again manually lower the lights and turn them back on they will go up and down again.

After reading clarks garage he says to clean the contacts for an issue like this, however, my lights were working fine before i removed them when i blew the fuse.

Can anyone give me any other suggestions or is my only hope to clean the contacts on the motor?
Old 04-10-2005, 05:19 PM
gandore
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I went and took the headlight motor apart, and all the contacts look great except for one small section of buildup. I cleaned this with steel wool and put it back together and in the car. Now I can turn the headlights on and they wont come up but if i hand crank them 5 or so turns they will go up and back down again.

I am wondering if this is because they are not aligned right? I have another relay that i bought and with either relay it does the same thing.

Quick Reply: headlight motor