Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Al Holbert's 951 race/test car- No bites yet

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2005, 01:34 PM
porschehead
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Al Holbert's 951 race/test car- No bites yet

Just an update on the factory test/race car. No seriouse offers yet so price was dropped.
more photos and info at : [url]www.944central.com

Will see what happens ?
Attached Images  
Old 04-06-2005, 02:47 PM
Jason_86_951
Drifting

I'm sure you've seen this right?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WDVW
Old 04-06-2005, 04:51 PM
GeorgeK
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Maybe a stupid question, but was the car on Ebay built by/with the factory? Doesn't look like anything built in Stuttgart that I know of (?).
Old 04-06-2005, 05:06 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

GeorgeK, the white car on eBay WAS an 87 turbo cup car, but then it was totally modified by Kelly Moss Racing. It still has the Matter cage and cup mirrors, but who know what else has been done to the engine.
Old 04-06-2005, 05:32 PM
Jason_86_951
Drifting

Originally Posted by Rich Sandor
the white car on eBay WAS an 87 turbo cup car, but then it was totally modified by Kelly Moss Racing. It still has the Matter cage and cup mirrors, but who know what else has been done to the engine.
I posted that auction to support what a modified Holbert car MIGHT be valued at on the open market. Granted it is highly modified, but is a complete ready to race, Holbert car.
Now the other Holbert car is also highly modifed, albeit in the wrong direction, still has value, but not in it's current form.
If restored to the condition of the Ebay auction one, it would probablly be worth 150-200% of what the Ebay goes for.

Apples to oranges, I know, but when was the last time we saw a Holbert car for sale?
Jason
Old 04-06-2005, 05:44 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Sean, if I remember correctly, you got the car for dirt cheap, right? Why don't you put a bit of money into making it as close to what an original cup car looked like, spend a good $5000 to restore it, and then I bet you could fetch a solid $20,000 or more for it.
Old 04-06-2005, 05:49 PM
Jason_86_951
Drifting

Organize a Rennlist gathering to at least get it reassembled and running. Offer beer and food they will come.
I'd love to see it get restored.
Old 04-06-2005, 05:57 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

I'd love to have a real cup car painted exactly like THIS cup car:
Attached Images   
Old 04-06-2005, 07:29 PM
michaelathome
Race Car

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

IIRC, one or more of the Holbert cars ended up being sold. One of them was found in a barn, that's right a barn and had been put back to road standards, interior added, repainted basically a cup car in plain clothing. I am sure that was not the only one of the cup cars that had been changed or modified over the years, heck, that car in the listing may be that same car once again re-worked.

Michael
Old 04-06-2005, 07:37 PM
2zeroes
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Rich...is that from the factory museum?
Old 04-07-2005, 12:34 AM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sell on rennlist...get rennlist membership
Old 04-07-2005, 12:39 AM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ski
sell on rennlist...get rennlist membership
Yup, how many times do I have to see this Al holbert car? If i liked it, I would of bought it. J/K
Old 04-07-2005, 01:23 PM
ian
Nordschleife Master

Received 59 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by evil 944t
Yup, how many times do I have to see this Al holbert car? If i liked it, I would of bought it. J/K
Not that i'm counting, but out of the 26 threads he has started here on rennlist 7 of them have been about this car for sale (and a few others were about the purchase of the car). Not that I think people cannot list cars for sale in the forums, but I would echo that a membership should be required to do so.

Also To quote the for sale page of this car:

"This is one of the most, if not "THE MOST" significant 951 in the world."

"Reduced to $18,500"

While I agree an Ex Holbert race car does carry with it some important history, I do not think the argument can be made that this is the most significant 951 in the world. It is a highly molested example, that through years of abuse and neglect has lost almost all of its value. I know he has compared it to the 911 race cars that lost most of their value before rising again years later, but even if this 944 is due to rise in value you cannot sell the car for those elevated prices until that is what the market demands.
Old 04-07-2005, 01:30 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Hey Rich...is that from the factory museum?
It's at the Leipzig, Germany, Cayenne plant and museum.
Old 04-07-2005, 02:04 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ian
Not that i'm counting, but out of the 26 threads he has started here on rennlist 7 of them have been about this car for sale (and a few others were about the purchase of the car). Not that I think people cannot list cars for sale in the forums, but I would echo that a membership should be required to do so.

Also To quote the for sale page of this car:

"This is one of the most, if not "THE MOST" significant 951 in the world."

"Reduced to $18,500"

While I agree an Ex Holbert race car does carry with it some important history, I do not think the argument can be made that this is the most significant 951 in the world. It is a highly molested example, that through years of abuse and neglect has lost almost all of its value. I know he has compared it to the 911 race cars that lost most of their value before rising again years later, but even if this 944 is due to rise in value you cannot sell the car for those elevated prices until that is what the market demands.
I agree with Ian. While this car, if complete and in good condition, certainly would carry more value than a run-of-the-mill 951, it is nowhere close to that now.

An argument can be made that there are other 951's that are more "significant". What about the early 951 that won it's class at Nelson Ledges in 1984? What about the other cup cars that won their respective series' (Canada, Germany, France, etc). The first production 951 to roll off the line would certainly be worthy, as would the last.

Don't get me wrong, I think this car is interesting. I'm glad to see that the seller is finally starting to drop the price. However, in the state it is in, and the fact that it has been re-shelled, mean that it still needs further reductions in price to get even remotely to near a chance of being sold.

Quick Reply: Al Holbert's 951 race/test car- No bites yet