Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

MPC Dual Port WG Connections

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2005, 07:34 PM
TheRealLefty
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MPC Dual Port WG Connections

OK, coming down the home stretch here on rudimentary boost control. I've got the car running with both ports of the dual port waste gate hooked to a T-connector on the IC hot pipe and things are stable, albeit not well protected against overboost.

As chronicled in previous thread, the Turbo S was running stock chips with the cycling valve disconnected and one of the WG ports open to the atmosphere...and was experiencing overboost fuel shut off. Ran like a bandit but with dangerously high boost, it seemed.

Got the Lindsey Manual Boost Control in hand and have ordered VDO boost gauge, a retro sweep dial AF mixture guage (both in black 2 1/16th) and a Lindsey guage panel for the two dials and the boost ****. Also snagged a couple brass fittings and about 25 ft of two different sizes of Hayes rubber hose from the local redneck parts jobber, one for vacuum troubleshooting and one for MPC installation.

Carefully removed the OE radio and OE equalizer and stored them away (even though old sound equipment has about equal value to used aquariums and Commodore 64s) . Plan to retrofit an OE change cubby in the bottom (handiest storage in the whole car IMO) and place the gauges/boost control **** in the radio slot for better ergonomics. I've never been much of a radio listener

But on to the question. Now pondering the MBC installation diagram and comparing it to the current lines running off the IC pipe. Does it matter which port in the waste gate takes the controlled pressure downstream from the MBC and which is connected to the absolute vacuum/boost?
Old 04-04-2005, 04:01 AM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your question confuses me a little but if you are asking if it matters which vac line is hooked up on which port of a dual port WG, the answer is yes, it does matter. With a STOCK WG, the top port takes the boost from the MBC and if it is a Tial or Deltagate or wassever dual port the top port vents and the side port gets the boost from the MBC. If it is a dual port boost controller then the top port in the dual port WG goes back in the line off the hard pipe. Good luck, I hope I am answering your Q.
Old 04-04-2005, 07:11 AM
TheRealLefty
Burning Brakes

Derek

Sorry for the confusion but yes, sounds like you've answered my question. The diagram included with the Lindsey MBC shows the connections to a dual port WG as you describe. It shows Boost Pressure In coming from a T that feeds the upstream side of the MBC and the top port on the WG. It shows the downstream (controlled) side of the MBC connecting to the side port of the WG. That sounds to me like the way you've described it as well.
Old 04-04-2005, 09:34 AM
tconn
Three Wheelin'

The Lindsey diagram is backwards if you have a Tial. It shows the pressure going in the top port. You should connect the pressure to the side port.

Also The way you described you current configuration,( both ports connected to the hard pipe no boost control), will not allow the wastegate to open.
The wastegate needs to see a diferential pressure across it to open.
Old 04-04-2005, 10:04 AM
TheRealLefty
Burning Brakes

All good. Will closely inspect waste gate for brand. It is a carry over from Previous Owner #2 (two removed from me) and has a shiny stainless cap (not the anodized current Tial look).

Quick Reply: MPC Dual Port WG Connections