Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

bad Maf?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 11:29 PM
bimmen325
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bad Maf?

I was all happy installing the lindsey stage two maf kit, i should not have bought this use as it is no good, i get hesitation under throttle and coasting, it dies at stops and idles when it wants too.
the car can perfectly, so its either the maf or the 55# injectors.
I think at this point i will just get a new kit, i just do not like the lack of room you have with most maf kits, theres no place for the air filter to fit unless you crush it.
who makes a kit that still fits in th stock location?
Old 04-29-2011, 11:33 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

I am betting you need a PB like the mafblaster and a WB to trim up the AFR.
Old 04-29-2011, 11:41 PM
bimmen325
Racer

Originally Posted by Brian Broderick
I am betting you need a PB like the mafblaster and a WB to trim up the AFR.
?, sorry i do not understand the abbreviations.
Old 04-29-2011, 11:57 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

You need to get a Piggy back (PB) like mafblaster. Trims the Mass Air Flow (MAF) signal to get proper Air Fuel Ratio (AFR). The only way to adjust AFR is to measure it with a Wide Band (WB) O2 sensor. I hope the kit had a new DME chip in it that was programed for the MAF and the injectors size you are using.

You can go back to the stock setup for the airbox and meter and get a set of DME chips programmed for the larger injectors if you want a stock look.

If you make engine mods without knowing the AFR, you are skating on thin ice. I see a blown head gasket or worse in your future.
Old 04-30-2011, 01:44 AM
bimmen325
Racer

Originally Posted by Brian Broderick
You need to get a Piggy back (PB) like mafblaster. Trims the Mass Air Flow (MAF) signal to get proper Air Fuel Ratio (AFR). The only way to adjust AFR is to measure it with a Wide Band (WB) O2 sensor. I hope the kit had a new DME chip in it that was programed for the MAF and the injectors size you are using.

You can go back to the stock setup for the airbox and meter and get a set of DME chips programmed for the larger injectors if you want a stock look.

If you make engine mods without knowing the AFR, you are skating on thin ice. I see a blown head gasket or worse in your future.
I installed the new chips from lindsey, I had them overnited and installed, so the car should be off and running, but it's not. once you get in boost it pulls hard, but low speeds nothing but buckling. i haven't installed the mafterburner, i wanted to get it running first and then go from there. Car will not be run, untill this is resorted.
Old 04-30-2011, 08:38 AM
Antonio
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

The chip will get you closer by not close enough. If you have one of the newer quad MAF units it comes with a built-in piggyback. You can adjust the signal to the proper AFR. If you have an older unit like mine, you must use a piggyback like a MAFterburner. At least that has been my experience.
Old 04-30-2011, 09:53 AM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bimmen325
I installed the new chips from lindsey, I had them overnited and installed, so the car should be off and running, but it's not. once you get in boost it pulls hard, but low speeds nothing but buckling. i haven't installed the mafterburner, i wanted to get it running first and then go from there. Car will not be run, untill this is resorted.
Install the PB and the WB and trim the lower (idle) RPM bands so that the AFR is around 14.7. At boost, it should drop to around 11.7. Is is a easy thing to go but is very important if you want the car to idle well and not go into detention under boost. There are thousands of posts on the subject.

Quick Reply: bad Maf?