Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2005, 04:06 PM
Bill
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Four votes for QC.

Jon,

Thanks for the offer, I will keep it in mind. I would like to talk to cas951 about a test install in his 88 TS. I also could go to Parts Heaven (near me) to compaire, but I like the idea of an actual install better.
Old 03-15-2005, 04:32 PM
Jakerx
Hitsquad Ninja
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks a bunch bill. let us know when it's time or order with the final price and what not.
Old 03-15-2005, 04:44 PM
Rob 3
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Bill, I vote the QC method as well. My thought process seems to parallel yours. I'm for stock dimensions as I want an in-out setup, I'm in NO RUSH, its a CYA item for me as well. I like the idea of one price for purchase and shipping, makes book-keeping easy. I appreciate your efforts and thinking of the group.
Old 03-15-2005, 05:16 PM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I vote for QC, no rush here.

Paypal will charge Griffin 3%. They should have their own CC merchant account already and be able to take our payments directly.

Sam
Old 03-15-2005, 06:41 PM
tconn
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just installed a new one that I bought 2 months ago. So I don't need one but
what the heck, this sounds like a nice upgrade.
Put me down for one.
I vote for QC .
If we get 20 orders maybe the price will be even better.
Old 03-15-2005, 06:53 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

I'm interested as well. I would like to get a thicker radiator fro the race car, perhaps I can take it up directly with the manufacturer. I would think with over 20 radiators, the price should drop down to below $300???

Thanks for the effort.
Old 03-15-2005, 08:31 PM
Bill
Addict
Rennlist Member

19 Members have committed so far, for a turbo radiator:

Bill
Tom M'Guinn
Special Tool
Macnewma
IEATV8s
OneOff951
Dan87951
dlgranison
cas951
herrtzeber
simmomi
jake944cs
yoyoguy2
rob3
jon moeller
Sam Lin
Chris White
evil 944t
tconn

I would think with over 20 radiators, the price should drop down to below $300???
I think we found our new price negotiator!

Fast 951,

I would be glad to hook you up with the guy I am talking to at Griffin. Send me a PM. I would guess from my conversations that a larger, one-off custom radiator should run in the $600+ range. Just remember that larger is not always better. The more fins you have, the more pressure drop you get in the radiator. Then you get into things like having to overdrive the water pump. The good thing is that Griffin has the engineering to provide you with proper sizing.
Old 03-16-2005, 01:57 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill
Can I get some feed back?

Since I am the one who opened my big mouth, I feel that I am responsible for everyones satisfaction on this group buy.

I have been thinking about how I can assure that everyone is happy. My first and most important decision to assure this, was to contact a reputable source. Griffin is certainly that. Good product = satisfaction. They also offer a two year guarantee, second plus.

Now to address fit. I checked two sources to confirm that all year turbo cars use the same radiator. The Porsche factory Parts & Technical Reference Catalog 1999 Edition (my bible) gives only 1 part number #951 106 031 50 for all years. Check one. Then someone on the rennlist looked on his PET and found part #951 106 031 02 for the early turbos. I called my friend who is a Porsche certified parts tech and works at my local Porsche dealership parts counter, and he said that part #02 was a very old part number, that was superceed with part #50. Again only one radiator for all year turbos. Check two. Then I sent Griffin my own factory radiator from my 86 turbo, with the temp sensor and rubber grommets attached as a template.

At this point, I feel confident that what we get from Griffin will be a direct bolt-in replacement. But as a final step, I can ask Griffin to make the prototype and send it to me first, so I can verify that everything is fine before the main production run is made. What do you guys think? I do not know how pressed for this product you all are. Is an extra week or so worth the wait, so I can personally quality control this buy?

Please feel free to comment or give ideas as to how you all would like to see this go down. I know some of you have good experience on group buys.
Sounds like a prudent way to go, to test the fit first. I looked at PET 6, and upteen retailer sites just now (944online, vertex, paragon, pelican, tweeks, etc.) and feel pretty confident the 951 106 031 50 radiator fits all turbos 86-91, as well as S2's with manual transmission (with Porsche block off plate -- see paragon's site for details).
Old 03-16-2005, 12:47 PM
Bill
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks Tom for your research.

Well, it would seem that the majority of the feedback is posivite toward having me QC the first radiator. Here is how I see this whole thing going down.

I will set up the group buy with Griffin this friday 3/18. This means, final member order amount, final price, direct payment method to Griffin, notification to rennlist members of final details and last but not least, order the prototype radiator to be shipped to my house for QC.

As soon as I receive the radiator I will install it into my 86, taking photos. If all goes well, I will again notify the board "that all is well" and go ahead with your individual purchases.

For those that need their radiators immediately and do not want to wait for the QC process, Once the group buy is set up, feel free to order your radiator "at your own risk". Bear in mind, that I feel 100% confident that there will be no issues with Griffin's product, or I would not have chosen them for this purchase.

We have 19 currently signed up, anyone else? 20+ will sound so much better than 19, for my negotiations on final pricing with Griffin. Just remember, I have told Griffin that companies such as Paragon, Performance Products, etc. may be interested in reselling the all aluminum 944 radiator. If this happens, distributer agreements will follow and this would end future group (read: wholesale) buys.

Last edited by Bill; 03-16-2005 at 01:06 PM.
Old 03-16-2005, 01:39 PM
Mike B
Done With Sidepatch
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hmmm...I don't have radiator or cooling problems, yet...but I'm giving this serious thought...Am a definite "maybe" at this point.

I'll scratch my head for a day or two and decide Friday morning.
Old 03-16-2005, 02:10 PM
Madant26x
Racer

Hey Bill you can count me in on this as well. Hopefully with the number doubling from 10 to 20 you will be able to get a better price, but it's still a good deal at $365. Thanks for all the setup work you've done.
Old 03-16-2005, 05:10 PM
Bill
Addict
Rennlist Member

WOW, 20 Members have committed so far, for a turbo radiator:

Bill
Tom M'Guinn
Special Tool
Macnewma
IEATV8s
OneOff951
Dan87951
dlgranison
cas951
herrtzeber
simmomi
jake944cs
yoyoguy2
rob3
jon moeller
Sam Lin
Chris White
evil 944t
tconn
Madant26x

Who would have thought, all I was interested in was getting a better radiator for my car and I knew that attitude was going to cost me. Now that all you guys have also stepped up to the plate, looks like I am going to save some cash. Thanks to all you guys, especially the ones that truly do not need a radiator just yet. Just goes to show you how intelligent 944 turbo owners truly are.
Old 03-16-2005, 05:14 PM
Bill
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hopefully with the number doubling from 10 to 20 you will be able to get a better price, but it's still a good deal at $365
I agree. I vow to get the best deal Griffin can offer. Just remember, when I first contacted Griffin for just my radiator, the quote was $575 no tax, no shipping. That is a 35% reduction, not bad.
Old 03-16-2005, 05:22 PM
H2Opumpr
Advanced

I am definately in! Mine leaks and I have been waiting for something like this

Shawn
Old 03-16-2005, 05:41 PM
Bill
Addict
Rennlist Member

21 Members have committed so far, for a turbo radiator:

Bill
Tom M'Guinn
Special Tool
Macnewma
IEATV8s
OneOff951
Dan87951
dlgranison
cas951
herrtzeber
simmomi
jake944cs
yoyoguy2
rob3
jon moeller
Sam Lin
Chris White
evil 944t
tconn
Madant26x
H2Opumpr

Mine leaks and I have been waiting for something like this
Shawn,

Shame on you. Overheat your engine and the repair bill gets quite a bit larger! You might want to be one of the ones that skip the QC loop. I am glad I did not take any longer to put this group buy together.

Quick Reply: Feeler: Be Cool!