Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

OT: how long befor the FIA completly screws up F1?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2005, 10:01 PM
AL951
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is right my friends! NASCAR really is WWF on wheels.
Old 03-09-2005, 10:44 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Somebody who understands how cars work, and understands what a driver needs to do in regards to a road course would know better than to say this was real racing
Lets see, take a heavy weight, low tech pile of 800HP garbage around Watkins Glen. Take the Busch cars around a very demanding track in Mexico...

Just for the point, Jeff Gordon drove JPMs open wheel car in a show called Tradin' Paint. In the day he was in the car he was already lapping as quick as the slowest qualifiers, in ONE DAY, in a car he had never been in. His fastest lap of the day was 1 second slower than JPMs fastest lap in the morning session. Likewise JPM was fast in the NASCAR.

Somebody who understands how cars work, and understands what a driver needs to do in regards to a road course would know better than to say this was real racing
Sombody who understands how cars work, and understands what a driver needs to do in regard to traveling 190+ MPH 1" from a wall in a "low tech piece" with someone bump drafting them from the rear, pushing them into the wall from the side, while bump drafting the guy in front of you would know better than to say NASCAR isnt REAL racing.

You would **** you pants in that situation. If you say anything other you are a liar or a professional driver.

NASCAR may not be your cup of tea but it damn sure IS real racing.

Super Dave - WRC = World Rallye Championship
Old 03-10-2005, 12:18 AM
Super Dave
Pro

I agree with the down force restriction ban rule in regards to passing. I also heard that it will increase the ability for F1 cars to get up close and to the sling shot thing like in redneck roundy round.
Old 03-10-2005, 12:27 AM
TurboTommy
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Traditionally, automobile racing is about testing one car and its' driver against another marque and its' driver. The best combination will be the victor. This is real. That's what I mean.

Not Nascar; it's sooo far from this concept. It's like bump and grind roller derby.
I didn't say that you don't need ***** to do it.
Old 03-10-2005, 09:30 AM
Matt H
Race Director

Tommy, I hear you. I used to hate NASCAR too. Keep this in mind, it is not a coincidence that the same 5-10 guys are up front every week. The field is usually 40 cars. Watch a little more and you might be surprised. Is there some luck in pit strategy and cautions? Sure but that exists in every form of racing. I just cant buy that NASCAR is far from your concept when the same drivers/teams are always up front.
Old 03-10-2005, 10:45 AM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

The only dislike I have with nascar is...
1. everyone takes it easy till the end 20-30 laps ( and I understand why) but I want to see them ***** out all the time!
2. ending the race during a yellow( hopefully that rule has changed, I haven't seen it lately)

Other than that, go see one live it pretty cool. I like road racing better but it IS still racing. Also go to the Daytona museam and check a car out up close, there is technology in them..
Old 03-10-2005, 10:47 AM
Matt H
Race Director

#2 no longer exists. They do what they call Green/White/Checker. All races end with racing.

Dave, you want to help me do a headlight install in the BMW? New lamps and goodies on the way, will be here today.
Old 03-10-2005, 10:50 AM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

I was pinned between to people for a million laps at daytona in my 12" seat space and the f'ing race finished under a yellow! I was pissed!!! Glad that rule change, though I'm showing my age.hee hee

Give me a call. I'll be around tonight.
Old 03-10-2005, 02:45 PM
951power

Only in the US WRC is losing ground then.. It would perhaps help if they actually did run a race in the Us ...
I see more WRC on Tv-channels now than just a few years back. More countries are trying to get The WRC to race. Because it would be worth a lot of money.. Look at Mexico, a new race for 2004..
And ofcourse it helps that the carmanufactors make street version of the cars used in WRC, these could be bought and used as a every-day car..

Motorsport like Nascar is barely shown on Tv. Only Eurosport show it, often in the middle of the night and it`s not even Live .. .. But who cares..
Old 03-10-2005, 06:40 PM
Tomas L
Pro

Since Peugeot and Citroen is backing out of WRC after this season I'd say that WRC is loosing groud everywhere.
Old 03-11-2005, 07:36 PM
meanmaroon951
Racer

F1 will make it , it has in the past, i'm sure bmw didnt like it when the fia told them they can use that 800bhp 1.8l turbo in the 80's but they got over it. The result 3liter na motors making 900bhp. The tires rule and the engine rules will make them more reliable and more powerful eventually. Some engineer will find some loop whole around those aerodynamic rules and the rules of physics eventually , it was done in the past it will happen again.
Old 03-12-2005, 07:48 AM
Tomas L
Pro

It's not lack of power or reliability that will kill F1.
If the races are won in qualifying and with pit strategys and not on the track, then F1 will attract less spectators. If there are to few spectators then the big car manufacturers will not continue spending big money on it. Without car manufacturers what is left will be Ferrari and maybe a few minor teams.
Old 03-20-2005, 02:03 AM
Super Dave
Pro

3/19/05 NOW THERE JUST MAKING UP AND AMINDING RULES AS IT GOES! By closing the loop hole about shutting it down before the race ends to take the "new engine" option.
Old 03-20-2005, 02:09 AM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Super Dave
3/19/05 NOW THERE JUST MAKING UP AND AMINDING RULES AS IT GOES! By closing the loop hole about shutting it down before the race ends to take the "new engine" option.
Oh ya...wouldn't want Toyota to have an advantage...
Old 03-20-2005, 06:55 PM
AL951
Racer

Any body watch the races this weekend?........I think it was a really good race. I just feel sorry for HONDA, two new engines blown with in two laps!!!

Quick Reply: OT: how long befor the FIA completly screws up F1?