Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Who is doing what to their car this week?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2005, 12:19 AM
User 41221
Banned

Received 172 Likes on 107 Posts
Default Who is doing what to their car this week?

In an effort to promote "CONTENT" on the forum here (for those of you who have been here a while and forgotten the meaning of the word, it means that we are supposed to talk about cars here), I thought I would start a thread where we discuss what actual projects/work we will be doing on our cars in the upcoming week. I would ask that we be specific to work you are doing yourself, and just for this coming week. I know thi sis a turbo board, but I am listing some work on my other Porshces as well. I'll start...

'84 944: I have an '83 engine that has been disassembled and I will be cleaning parts and placing orders for parts to prepare for the reassembly. I'll also be running the head and crank to a machine shop, but since I am not doing the actual rebuild on those parts, they don't count!

'87 951: I will be powdercoating the M030 spindles satin black and powder coating the strut housings that I modified to fit the late model cars "Bilstein yellow". I am planning on buying a home powdercoating setup on Monday or Tuesday and doing this myself, along with a sandblasting cabinet. I ordered new wheel bearings and caliper rebuild kits for the S4 calipers, but I don't expect they will arrive until next week (no fault of Paragon, who I ordered them from, btw).

'92 968: Since my wife graciously backed the car into a telephone pole last weekend, I now have a new project... restoring the car to its previous glory. I haven't decided if I am going to pull the rear bumper cover and have it shot separately or if I should take it to a shop and get an estimate first (leaning towards this option right now... it just barely broke the paint on the upper corner and I am thinking I can buff the scuff and touch up the spot, but I have a feeling that will always drive me crazy every time I see it). Oh, and I will also be buying my wife flowers to apologize for my outburst when she hit, and will be writing "its just a car" on the chalkboard 100 times after school...

Thats it for this week. Who's next?

Regards,
Old 02-27-2005, 12:22 AM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

Wash, wax, vacuum, repeat.......oh yeah, ignore the small oil leak.....
Old 02-27-2005, 12:23 AM
Brett
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This week I am doing a headgasket job and a belt job. While I was in there I decided to upgrade the turbo too. I think I will be getting a To4e with the #8 hotside. So I'm also trying to sell some stuff to help pay for it. And if I have enough money left over I will get the cam tower and intake manifold powder coated
Old 02-27-2005, 12:40 AM
Cyrus951
Rennlist Member

Got a lot of junk out of the way today, for tomorrow:

FIX WATER LEAKS/REGLUE WEATHER STRIPPING
FIX POWER SEATS
INSTALL WINDSHIELD WIPERS
FIX POWER LOCKS/DRIVER DOOR LOCK
FIX DASH LIGHTS
FIX DRIVER SIDE FRONT TURN SIGNAL
VENT THE COOLING SYSTEM
DO MANUAL SUNROOF CONVERSION
FIX CRUISE CONTROL

Tomorrow will be an easy day, I needed a break after this week
Old 02-27-2005, 12:44 AM
special tool
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm fixin to pop the head off and clean the pistons, just for the hell of it.
Old 02-27-2005, 12:47 AM
BoostGuy951
Three Wheelin'

I'll be finishing the interior wiring of the Zeitronix WBO2, 5 gauges, and an LCD display of the standalone. I'm waiting on my pistons, rods and crank to get back from the machine shop.
Old 02-27-2005, 12:48 AM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Spending prolly over a grand... Assuming I dont spring for those sport seats tomorrow/early week... In that case over two grand.
Old 02-27-2005, 12:52 AM
icat
Race Car

It's raining, it's cold, and I'm playing poker. Well, not real poker - juist the video game. Wanna feel better about your life? I lost over 70 million dollars today at the Roulette table! I could have dreamed of a new GT3 for that kind of cash!

Tomorrow I'll go to the garage and finish boxing up a steering wheel to be returned to it's rightful owner. One of our Rennlist members was kind enough to loan me a wheel so I could recover mine.
Old 02-27-2005, 01:51 AM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Placing an order for some misc parts and more long term would be actually installing those parts.

Ordering:
Cam tower gasket
Sunroof gears
Pass. Side seal around door handle
header to x-over exhaust seals

Cam tower gasket is so that I can pull the head and hopefully fix my oil leak...95% sure its coming from between the head and the block due to the MLS gasket. Maybe it wasn't clean...but I thought I did a pretty good job of cleaning up it and the head/block.

Sunroof gears for obvious reasons... slipper clutch is a bit out of adjustment again it seems.

Oh and I'd like to install a new GT3 but I'm not sure if the funds will allow for that...
Old 02-27-2005, 01:56 AM
Mike Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Swapped blue 10-speaker door panels last Saturday, but still working on pulling the blue carpet from the parts car. Snow and cold not helping. When I actually get around to putting said carpet into my track car . . . TBD. Also need to paint the lower dash, that could be interesting

My car goes for an alignment tweak Friday. Hit the track following Saturday.
Old 02-27-2005, 02:21 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

I have my head off now -- 22psi did not agree with the gasket apparently -- I'm cleaning the piston tops while I'm in there too, and going with a widefire gasket. I also pulled my front sway bar off this morning to replace the bushings -- the power steering fluid leaked on one and was making it clunk when turning. Also planning to pull the leaking power steering hose (pump to rack) and replace it for obvious reasons.

Good thread by the way...
Old 02-27-2005, 02:30 AM
tjbreen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Working the bottom, front, and top.

Underneath we have the oil pan gasket, rod bearings, Lindsey x-over, oil cooler gaskets, OPRV o-rings, OEM motor mounts, new coolant pipe, and RennBay power steering banjo bolts.

Up top we have the wide fire ring HG, carbon top piston cleaning, time-intensive gasket scraping on the block and valve cover. Head is out at Circle Performance getting "refreshed" with valve job, seals, guides, and springs. Valve cover was treated to a nice cleaning and noticed 1 out of 8 lifters is bad. There's always one bad apple in the bunch. All new hardware everywhere.

Out front I had a marginal idler and decided to replace all the belt rolling gear, timing, and balance belts. Waterpump OK with only 20K on it. Twelve cans of brake cleaner and counting.

Is there a procedure somewhere for replacing the seals in the oil filler tube? New ones came with the HG kit.

It all should be back together by April in time for the DE season.

Last edited by tjbreen; 02-27-2005 at 02:50 AM.
Old 02-27-2005, 02:32 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 105 Posts

Pulled the fender liners on the 951 and pressed out 2 bad creases at each wheel well. Tried to remvove the horrid center tail light and found the PO had drilled like 9 different holes in his feeble attempt to mount it; time for Plan B . Now I need to buy some matching paint, fill the holes and spray it. Anyone have a rear lic. plate mount laying around?
Old 02-27-2005, 03:26 AM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

put in my rebuilt OPRV, and fins what was blown out by the high oil pressure.
~Eyal
Old 02-27-2005, 03:27 AM
Ian Carr
That Guy
Rennlist Member

My project includes putting ever thing back on the motor which is currently out of the car and then reinstalling it back into the car. My project after that is to get it running... WOOHHOOO

Quick Reply: Who is doing what to their car this week?