Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Heat not coming out of Defrost Vents

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2005, 04:07 PM
ivai
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heat not coming out of Defrost Vents

I bought the car in september, and a couple months afterwards, heat stopped coming out of the defrost vents near the windshield. Heat does come out of front/regular vents when I push the defrost button, or when I turn the temp up and turn up the fan speed (when I push the defrost button, the fan goes at full blast regardless of what the fan speed is, is this how its supposed to be?)

Also, this is a seperate issue from the heater clip breaking, yes?
Old 03-03-2005, 06:18 PM
ivai
Burning Brakes

bump... please help
Old 03-03-2005, 09:49 PM
car_slave
Pro

When you hit the defrost button it should go full heat at full fan, that is normal. Are you sliding up the defrost flap? If not it could be a separate flap issue similar to the infamous heater clip one, there are a couple of them.
Old 03-03-2005, 09:57 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

What he said. Yes the defrost button makes maximum heat, full fan, and air flow through the defrost vents. It also turns the a/c compressor on since it's better to defrost with warm dry air than warm moist air. It's also possible to achieve the same effect by pushing the top slider to the right all the way, pushing the defrost lever all the way up, turning the temp. control all the way to the right, pushing the snowflake button, and turning the fan all the way to maximum. Your choice.

Interesting, we have the same car. . . and much the same philosophy regarding them. Mods don't matter on a car that looks like crap and has half the stuff deleted, IMO. I'm of the school of thought that if it's on the car or was originally put on the car, it should work. I recently spent HOURS fixing the headlight washer system and will soon be doing the a/c. A/C delete kits are for amateurs and racer wanna-bes. . . and the VERY RARE dedicated track car that can actually benefit from it, but those are in the minority by 100 to 1. Cheers.
Old 03-03-2005, 10:08 PM
ivai
Burning Brakes

thanks for the responses...

I've got the middle flap up all the way, and the top slider all the way to the right, AND the defrost button depressed. When the window is *really* fogged up, I can notice some very small defrost effect from a tiny amount of warm air eminating from the top-most vents, but when I put my hand over them, I barely feel anything (it should be blowing fairly hard I think), and it sounds like its just trying to push all the warm air out through the main vents despite the fact that the flap is all the way up..

Perhaps the middle defrost flap has some clip or connection thats broken? How would I check this?

And yeah PoP, I most def believe in getting everything running properly and like-new. Thus far (since september) I've done water pump, timing belt/other belts, front engine seals, turbo water pump, motor mounts, new brake rotors/pads, and a bunch of other miscellaneous stuff... this has been an issue for a while, I just haven't gotten around to fixing it (yeah I know, fine time to do it right as winter is ENDING :P)
Old 03-05-2005, 04:33 PM
alpenweissisnice
Addict
Rennlist Member

I am experiencing EXACTLY the same thing; so whatever problem you are having, I likely am as well...Let me know what you find out, and I'll do the same...
Old 03-05-2005, 05:31 PM
car_slave
Pro

I would look under the steering wheel where the flap arms connect, (you have to take the cover off) and make sure they are attached and move in coloration with the heater control levers--the sliders--
Old 03-05-2005, 05:38 PM
alpenweissisnice
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have, on both sides, and mine do...I am guessing there is a flap around the firewall behind the dash that has malfuntioned. It is one of those niggling things I would like to fix, but since my car isn't a daily driver, it really isn't a major deal...
Old 03-05-2005, 05:46 PM
car_slave
Pro

Are you getting heat? I may have miss read, I had a problem where I could only get heat with the defrost button engaged. It turned out to be a bad temp sensor. There are three, the one outside next to the fresh air intake was bad (it read ok until I blew on it then it would short out). If the real issue is heat this could be your problem. I thought you guys were talking about having nothing come out of the vents.

temp senors:

outside
mixing camber
interior

Last edited by car_slave; 03-05-2005 at 06:02 PM.
Old 03-05-2005, 05:57 PM
alpenweissisnice
Addict
Rennlist Member

Heat, cooling - everything works as it should save for the defrost. When I press the defrost button, it kicks the fan up and the a/c compressor on as it is supposed to, but it blows warm air out of the upper vents, even with the center slider pushed all the way up...I am getting little if any air flow out of the defroster vents at the base of the windshield...
Old 03-05-2005, 06:03 PM
car_slave
Pro

Hummm not sure what that could be
Old 03-06-2005, 04:17 PM
alpenweissisnice
Addict
Rennlist Member

Bumpity Bump
Old 03-06-2005, 04:22 PM
P-Car944
Banned

your flap is not opening up.
Old 03-06-2005, 05:58 PM
alpenweissisnice
Addict
Rennlist Member

Gee...thanks. LOL

Any tips on getting it operating? Thanks!
Old 03-07-2005, 05:27 PM
ivai
Burning Brakes

The case is the same for mine... heat, ac, etc all work, its just the heat won't come out of the vents at the base of the windshield for mine... Once I finish my wastegate install (once I get the time) I think i'll try to have a look behind the dash..

Is it possible to fix this without removing the dashboard, or taking it apart a good ways?

Quick Reply: Heat not coming out of Defrost Vents