Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Oil in coolant -- flush/residue?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2005, 07:04 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts
Default Oil in coolant -- flush/residue?

I changed my oil seals recently, because there was oil in the coolant with no signs of a head gasket leak. Today I noticed a drop of oil in the coolant, which I am hoping is just residual left over from before the seal change. I did not really flush the system when I changed the seals, other than to refill the coolant, warm it up, drain it, and refill again. Has anyone else had left-over oil in the coolant after changing the seals... (please say yes)? Thanks.
Old 01-23-2005, 07:51 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts

I'd bet on the residual oil theory. Once warmed up, the small amounts of residual oil will attract it's buddies and end up at a high spot which would be at the end of a closed loop system and pushed into the reservoir at shut down. I would assume this might continue for awhile if the system wasn't flushed well before the reseal. My 83 had milkshake 4 months before I bought it, even with a flush by the PO it burped up a bit into the tank for about a month after I picked it up. I flushed one more time with a Prestone product and haven't had any more oil in the tank in 2 years now.

Quick Reply: Oil in coolant -- flush/residue?